General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Depends what sort of stuff you like but my fave all time holiday reads are:

1. Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes (Got some funny looks as I read on the balcony as I was laughing out loud)

2. Last Chance Saloon by Marian Keyes

2. PS I Love You by Cecila Ahern (I laugehd out loud and cried buckets)

3. Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella
Whilst away at Easyer I read a book that had been left in the villa Johnny Angel by Danielle Steele, I cried so much I looked like I'd 10 rounds with Mike Tyson - Not really good holiday reading, I nearly brought it home to save anyone else the trauma!!

My husband read the Da Vinci code and raved about it & it's had fabulous reviews - and he didn't cry at all!
I started reading the Da Vinci Code this morning, and have just had to force myself to put it down...I'm on Chapter 100 and will finish it tonight! :D I have laid in the sun reading it all day, no lunch, no supper, no nothing!!! Not my usual reading material, I usually read "chick lit", but it is fantastic so far!!!!!!

Well...........I did remember to feed the dog!!!!!!
I've just bought 4 books for holidays (usually take 9 or 10 but have a small person with me this time :D ) but I've read one of them already... I recommend it for something a bit different - 'The Five People You Meet in Heaven'. My hubby chose it and I have to say he made a good call. Last time we were away I read Phillip Pullman's 'Northern Lights' and I'd recommend this too, and the rest of the trilogy. It was strange, sat in boiling hot Egypt sun reading about frozen wastelands.
Have managed to get hold of the complete stories of sherlock holmes that`ll keep me quite for a day or so. And have started reading robert ludlum`s book they`re a pretty good read and you can pick then up in books that contain 3 books in each have just finished the jason bourne set this way 8)
  • Edited by borismab 2005-05-08 16:23:54
I like to read crime novels on holiday. Over the years I have read all the Rebus, Morse and Frost I can lay my hands on .This year I discovered a new (to me) crime author. This is Peter Robinson and his Inspector Banks series of books, of which there are about 14 titles. They are a bit like Rebus but set in the Yorkshire Dales. I work a couple of days in an Oxfam bookshop so I have been able to pick up three more titles to take with us on our next holiday in June. My wife liked the book as well ,so we will be able to share them and cut down on the number of books we will be taking.
I have also read The Da Vinci Code and thought it brilliant - I also love the author Karin Slaughter and Lisa Gardner.

Not sure what I'm going to take this year - any crime recommendations

Ali xx
Inspector Banks books very like Rebus I agree got my husband hooked last year on hols.sioux.
For anyone who likes crime and thriller novels, I would recommend anything by James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs, and Jonathan Kellerman, but they should all be read, preferably, in the order in which they were written, as family histories come into them quite a lot, and I like to get involved in the lives of the regular characters. I hope that doesn`t make me sound too sad?
ali5,i also love lisa gardner & karin slaughter.really good authors.
i also love james patterson,harlen coben & michael connelly.
just discoverd jillian hoffman & can't put it down.ali5,her books are very similar,to lisa gardner's & karin slaughter's,so you may like them.they are called retribution & last witness.they really are, good reads!
tracy
I used to like Patricia Cornwall and then I made the mistake of reading four of them back-to-back on holiday. Doing that I discovered that she does tend to use the same plot devices over and over again. The subject's daughter gets herself into mortal danger , there is a corrupt official in the department and she herself is usually being stalked by a mad killer.

A couple more crime series I can recommend are the Dangerous Davies books by Leslie Thomas and the Flaxborough novels ( featuring Inspector Purbright ) by Colin Watson.
martina cole, she is really good, its about a london ganster who actually is a woman, all her books are based around this character, so start from the begining. brill, read it on last holiday in menorca, i didnt go out side for two days.
I second Chocaholicsanon choice. Martina Cole absolutley brilliant author. Don't know exactly how many she has written but I've read at least 6 of them. The last 2 I read featured a police officer who gets involved with a gangster when his daughter goes missing. Once you start reading you can't put them down so if you're on the beach watch out that the tide doesn't take you away :yikes
if you like a funny read, anything by bill bryson.
linda, Im half way through that book at the moment, I just can't seem to put it down, another book by martina cole I enjoyed was faceless.

gail................
I've read all of the Martina Cole books so far apart from her latest. Does anyone know if it is out in paper back yet? I mustn't get too soon before my holiday otherwise I'll do what I did last year and end up reading it before I go.
On the subject of holiday reading , I once saw a tip about reading the first chapter of all the books you are planning to take on holiday. This ensures that you are not stuck with books that you find you don't fancy once you get there.
Thats an excellent idea, trouble is I probably wouldnt want to put them down!!
Janet Evanovich's 'Stephanie Plum' series is hilarious. I think there are now ten of them, I think the first in the series is 'One for the Money'. Try and read them in sequence, if not it doesn't matter too much.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.