Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi All,

Last year some nice person posted the daily exchange rates in the Calangute area, it was really useful I can't seem to find the link or remember the member can anyone help

Thanks in anticipation
Harvey -- currently 70rps , However , their is a lot of pressure on the Indian Govt to halt the strengthening Rupee by intervening on the Foreign Exchange Markets , by stepping in and Buying Dollars , Euros & Pounds & Selling the Rupee , because at these levels the Rupee Rate is having a negative effect on Indian exports . So I would expect that soon the rate will be back up in the mid 70s.
Possibly more , but dependant on the level Indian Govt Intervention .
Its 2 years since I was there and I think it was about 78 to the pound so not much change
Are there any ATM'S not charging this year?
Is there any charge over for cards over the counter.
I understand that HDFC charge but Axis and ICICI do not.

Dave
As we are going to be first times to north goa next not 2011, i need a little help. I have read that we cannot buy rupees here but in resort. My question is, if we take travellers checks how does this work Can they be changed at hotels or airport? What travellers cheques are best or should we take british cash, dollars ets. Not sure what they can use there. Thanks x
Hi Derewentrocker
you can change TC or sterling here fine, but dont change in resort/airport go to the elephant shop or similar in Candolim and you will get a better rate..my 1st choice would be sterling (after a free debit card)
Chilly
Thank you chilly, i never really deal with tc's only cash but do you think that
They are the safest option? Also i do not know rupees at all, i think the rate of exchange is
76 rupees to the pound, is this average? What rate would you normally aim for. Thank you x
I think the rate is around 70 rupees to the £ at the moment.
The rate today is 69.50 and was told that this will not change until begining of January as the money people wont be back at work till then :que
hi , just wondering about the exchange rate at the moment especially as the Xmas rush is over? Not going till 1st March but would like to see the pound get stronger!! lol
Hi does anybody know what the rate is for travellers cheques compared to cash?
helenclive wrote:
hi , just wondering about the exchange rate at the moment especially as the Xmas rush is over? Not going till 1st March but would like to see the pound get stronger!! lol

The rate is slowly going up now for the past 4 days,todays rate was 71.80 for cash,dont know about travelers cheques sorry
long may it last!! I think thats the most we have had this year :tup we didnt change any money :( must check and do so in the morning if its still high!
chilly
Santander's debit card on their Zero current account now allows free ATM withdrawals worldwide. :tup
Happy days Roma just got one in the last few weeks hope it works for us in INDIA ..used it in Spain last week did the job :cheers
Hi Colleen - I'll know in a couple of weeks. If it doesn't do it, I'll be round for a sub!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.