Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Thought I might pick up The Peacocks Throne for my next read
Red Earth and Pouring Rain by Vikram Chandra - a mish mash of tales told in order that a wounded monkey can keep his life. A good read so far!!

GFF xx
Shantaram ~ Gregory David Roberts. Excellent book, unputdownable :) (is there such a word?)
I agree Ellie - fab book. I believe they are making a movie with Johnny Depp.

GFF xx
That will be fantastic GFF, they couldnt have picked a better person to play the lead role :love2
Just googled and added this to my "must read" list thanks Ellie :)
Totally agree have read Shantarham 3 times always in Goa and left behind for others to enjoy. Have just aquired a fourth copy in readiness for December.
Yes a film is being made and they are talking about Shilpa (big brother fame) having a role definately Johnny Depp as lead role I believe he brought the rights to make the film , they haven't even started production yet there have been a few hiccups and anyone who has read the book will realise it is going to take a long while to make, if it sticks to the book.
Production is meant to start in the spring, I've just ordered a copy will be reading in Goa in March 8)
Thanks everyone for responding to my plea :D

The Peacock Throne is on my list of must buys , have already read the others,and agree with you.

Maximum City Bombay Lost and Found by Suketo Mehta, is brilliant on Bombay

And just for a laugh Are You Experienced by William Sutcliff.

Keep the recommendations comming in Maybe Fiona could make it into a proper Thread, Please :)
your wish....... :D
Are You Experienced was one of my first reads in India :) not too bad actually, another one is `Karma Cola` by Gita Mehta is worth a read too.
I enjoyed Karma Cola as well, Also liked Holy Cow by Sarah Macdonald
Hi all,
This is a really good thread and I am noting down all the must reads for when I go.... somehow reading Indian related books whilst in Goa makes them even more enjoyable :D . Does anybody know if I will be able to buy copies of the books recommended so far from Heathrow? I don't want to risk ordering from Amazon as we go next Monday and they may not be delivered in time.
thanks
Michelle
Thank you so much Fiona, I am desperate for some new titles to add to my list.
Hi Michelle !

Dont know about buying the books at Heathrow, but you will be able to buy some good books by Indian authors in Goa.
Hope this helps
Thanks Lassigirl :)
Michelle
Tivolem by Victor Rangel-Ribeiro. We picked up our copy in the bookshop by the football pitch in Calangute. Penquin Book.

A captivating novel set in Goa. Three men and a woman return to Goa, then a Portuguese colony in India, in the early 1930's, bringing change to the village of Tivolem even as the village itself impacts upon their lives.

Milkweed National Fiction Prize.

AMAZON HERE
Has anyone read the book about a street kid in bombay who wins the Indian millionare quiz show, and is thrown into jail accused of cheating, I cant for the life of me remember the title :x
Towpal if they are in stock you should have your books on time. Amazon delivery is usually next day.

Ive just remembered I have Holy Cow ~ Sarah McDonald, at home havent even picked it up yet. Another, Indian Summer ~ Will Randall has anyone read that?

Im terrible with books if I see one I fancy Ill just buy it, then it will sit in the cupboard for months and months.....Come to think of it im a bit like that with shoes too :oops: :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.