Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Thanks chilly,
As you say it is better to be safe. I was not looking forward to possibly being on the first flight out of Heathrow. Just amazed that someone can't make a decision at either the Travel agent or the cruise line. Presumably Delta don't have a plane here even if the skies cleared. For once Ryanair and Thomson are more organized for their customers. I have cancelled our airport parking but don't know if we'll get any refund as it's not their fault. We are insured with Direct travel so not much hope there.
All Jet2 flights cancelled 17th 18th and 19th April so not looking good for start of next week. My flight on Wednesday is looking dodgy now.

Ed
Sorry that you are so disappointed but the people I feel most for are those stranded abroad with children and running out of funds. With no end in sight it must be a nightmare for them.

I got the info on my flight from the BA web site. I had spoken to my TA this am and they were not able to get through to X. Angela called me this afternoon as I wanted them to price up another cruise for me.
X have now given the go ahead to either cancel or book another cruise. I am holding an option for the Solstice 14 night BTB in the Caribbean. I really wanted the Solstice class as I loved it last year.
The prices for Equinox in the Med and even the Eclipse to the Canaries sky high.
The Caribbean prices are good as they have a lot of offers for over 55's. I am booking the 23rd May to 6th June.
I think that on contacting people it is such a huge undertaking that it must be a nightmare. I think we have to be patient or take some active action ourselves

Sue
Amongst all the doom and gloom, I got a text from my friends who managed to fly out on friday evening from Glasgow who were just docking in St Lucia having sailed from Barbados at the start of their 3 weeks cruise. They are the lucky ones, I don't know anyone else who's manage to get anywhere.

The information I'm getting from friends in ATC suggests the middle to end of next week before the situation is forecast to improve, other than odd 'windows' as long as the volcano is erupting. Obviously keep checking the latest updates from NATS / Met Office and contact with your airline / tour operator.

Darren
Looks like it might be time for me to start thinking about using sail & rail to get to England on Friday. That's bus to Dublin, ferry to Holyhead, train to Norfolk with our twin girls. We've done the journey before and did think about doing it for this trip over but Dad thought flying would be easier as we'd struggle to manage luggage and the pushchair. We do have a plan though.
Breaking news of a light aircraft crash ... No suggestion that it was caused by ash as yet.

Van
Cate - Ferries are heavily loaded, Holyhead is virtually under siege. Do not travel without confirmed reservation. Virgin and Arriva Trains Wales are having a go at increasing capacity on Holyhead trains but they only have limited resources and Virgin are also under pressure to run extras to Glasgow. Last 2 nights ATW have run an unadvertised train out of Holyhead at 02:00ish to save people having to wait hours for the first official service to Crewe. Rail &Sail cheap specials will probably be sold out by now.
GMTV says this:-

So what rights do travellers have when all UK flights are grounded due to a volcanic ash?

It depends how they booked their trip...according to AITO. (Association of Independent Tour Operators.)

The complete closure of UK airspace is reminiscent of 9/11, back in 2001, and has taken the travel industry by complete surprise.

While DIY bookers are scrambling to try to alter their accommodation and car hire contracts, those who booked with an AITO tour operator will have been contacted by the tour operator to find out their preferred options.

Booking with a tour operator means that the tour operator takes the strain - both financial and in terms of working around the clock to find travel alternatives. Says AITO Chairman Derek Moore: Its at times like this when consumers really understand the huge added value of booking their holidays through a tour operator - they get the best possible service in a very difficult travel environment.

AITO tour operators abide by the EU Travel Package Regulations. They either deliver the holiday to their customers satisfaction - perhaps delayed by a day due to extenuating circumstances - or, if they cannot do so, they will refund the full cost.

Those travellers who booked independently on a DIY basis are the ones likely to face problems; their separate car hire and hotel contracts mean they are at the mercy of their suppliers, who are within their rights to demand payment whether or not the traveller can get to his or her destination. And if they need to stay abroad for an extra night or more, it will be at the DIY bookers own expense.

However Simon Calder on GMTV the other morning advised a couple stranded in Tenerife to pay for everything on Credit Card and keep receipts.
Thanks for that Steve, if flight is cancelled, the first thing I'll do is to ring both ferry companies that do the Dublin - Holyhead route to ask what the earliest is that we could travel. Am praying that our flight isn't cancelled because my cousin who works abroad is going to be at his parents next weekend, he's also Godfather to S. I've been looking forward to next weekend for a while and will seriously :cry if I don't get to England. We were also planning on going up to Skegness for a couple of days to see friends there.
Cate -don't forget http://www.norfolkline.com/EN/Irish_Sea_Ferries/ from Belfast or Dublin to Liverpool. It's less obvious so more chance of space. And there are regular direct trains from Liverpool to Norwich which avoid London so are cheaper.
Norfolkline are expensive and don't do a sail & rail deal which makes it too expensive. The route from Holyhead to Norfolk avoids London, changes are at Chester/Crewe (sometimes 1, sometimes both), Birmingham or Nuneaton and Peterborough or Ely. Next back up is Eurolines but thinking they could be fully booked as well. Looks like praying that flight isn't cancelled is the only option.
Test flight

Saturday KLM has got authorisation of the Inspectie voor Verkeer en Waterstaat to make a test flight in Dutch airspace. If the quality of the atmosphere is satisfactory to fly safe, KLM hopes to get passengers to their destination as soon as possible. This was announced this afternoon by president and CEO of KLM, Peter Hartman at a press conference. The test flight will be carried out at the beginning of the evening. Results are expected later in the evening. Peter Hartman will be on board as an observer
My daughter and her family are stranded in Singapore after flying there last night from Bali.
The airline wanted them to stay at their hotel in Bali but she thought at least if they get to Singapore they may have a better chance of getting on one of the first flights to the UK.
The airline has put them up in a hotel for 2 nights but they have been told after that they can come to the airport where they have camp beds or pay for the hotel themselves.
At £300 a night I think they will take the option of the camp bed!
The main thing she is worrying about is the wrath of the head mistress at the childrens school when she eventually gets back. :rofl
Airspace now restricted until at least 13:00 hrs Sunday.

Mark
No consolation for those who are stranded but I would just like to compliment Thomsons for getting us back from Cancun on Thursday. We were due to fly to Gatwick but were rerouted to Glasgow and, I believe, one of only 4 or 5 planes to make it into the UK that day. We then had to suffer a 10 hour journey to Gatwick but at least made it home.

Shame on those people at Cancun airport who berated the rep and caused a big scene saying Thomsons were putting them and their children in danger and were refusing to fly (including wheeling out crying children made more hysterical by their parents shouting and bullying). Those groups of idiots managed to delay the plane for at least an hour and then finally caved in and flew with us when they realised that if they stayed in Mexico they would have incurred all their extra costs as the pilot had decided to fly. Unfortunately they didn't have the sense to realise how sophisticated tracking devices are and that Glasgow was going to be open for a number of hours. However they were overheard at Gatwick discussing how 'sad' some of us were not to want to spend a few more days in Mexico.

I would not want to be stuck in Cancun, or anywhere, without any prospect of getting home. I have 2 kids who have very important exams coming up and would like to thank Thomsons for finding that window of opportunity and getting us back. They even provided us with food for the coach journey home - above and beyond expectation I would say.
Has anyone heard from Thomas Cook Airlines? I'm supposed to fly back on Monday from Lanzarote to Manchester but not looking hopeful. Any help would be appreciated.
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office 24-hour consular helpline has been set up on 020 7008 0000 for people stuck abroad.
ilovelanz

Link to the TC website. It says to contact your local resort office or customer service in the UK.
http://www.thomascook.com/iceland-volcano-information;jsessionid=366F47CB0D165BB286C9F9B7479E4101.appa05a
The BBC have a Q&A on Passenger Rights that may explain things for people who are flying with a scheduled airline who are EU registered
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.