UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Dublin or Prague
31 Posts
If it needs to be cheap then Prague without a doubt. Both are great cities with plenty to see and good restaurants/nightlife but Prague is much better value for money.
Hi leb2005,

We were in Dublin 4wks ago and found it very expensive,put it this way earlier in the year{June to be exact] wewent to Majorca ,okay it was AI but spent nearly as much in a fortnight there as we did in 4days in Dublin.
Don,t

get me wrong its a lovely city but as busy as London and as many roadworks,the best part was a trip ino the mountains where the views are something else!
In my opinion choose Prague
Doreen
Never been to prague, but been to Dublin. It might be dear, altho it didnt seem that bad at the time. I cant see prague beating dublin for the crack!
Been to both places a few times - and Dublin always does it for me! Yes, you will spend more money, but the Dublin people are so friendly and up for a laugh - they will entertain you till the early hours!

This spring, we said 'right, this time we really must do more sight-seeing'.... we got the open top tour bus (£12 each), went around the first corner, seen our favourtie pub and hopped off (just for one quick drink)...... 8 hours later, and after a few pints of the black stuff, we were up on the chairs irish dancing! That was the most expensive 100 metre bus ride of my life!

Whatever you decide, have a great time!
i would say prague as well, it is a beautiful city, lots to see and do. very cheap food and drink and if you are looking for the irish crack we saw quite a few irish bars which were all busy.
ali
if you are looking for the irish crack we saw quite a few irish bars which were all busy.
If that was the case, you may as well cut out the middle man and go to dublin then!
And its about £3.50 a pint in the Irish Bars in Prague!
Having been to both places I would opt for Prague...its cheap to drink and eat, and why bother with the Guiness when there are so many Czech beers to try.
My vote is for Prague as well, visit before they spoil it.

Robby :wink:
I have only been to Dublin and it was such a great place. I can strongly recommend it

Have fun where every you go.

:D
ive been to both places and both were nice for different reasons, the irish people were friendlier than czech, but we preferred prague by far a prettier place and much cheaper to eat and drink , beer was 60p a pint near our hotel just outside the main area, great value for money and what a beautiful city
Been to both Prague and Dublin. I much prefer Prague. It's far prettier and magical. I found Dublin to be very grey and the traffic busy. Prague was far cheaper for drinks, it was very expensive to go out at night in Dublin. Though regarding nightlife, I would have to say that they are both as good. We had brilliant times in both cities - though very different.
Dublin is supposed to be very good. I haven't been but my wife has several times with friends(one of them is an Irish lass who has moved back) .She says Dublin is ok but she doesn't think that she would waste a weekend going there with me, as there really isn't that much to do, that we couldn't do in England. After going to Prague in July this year she said that Prague was a much better weekend.
Obviously if expense is an issue then it is a one horse race. Prague will cost a fraction of the expense you will encounter in dublin
Prague everytime for me, really inexpensive to dine out. The city is stunning, visit the old and new areas I think its a magical place. Can't wait to visit again, We usually go around Xmas time, cold but wonderful. :glynis
Hi Stupot

We were thinking of Prague for Xmas for a couple of nights. Any recommendations for hotels or restaurants? We like something farily nice but as we will be out most of the time it doesn't have to be 4star, as long as it is clean probably family run and friendly would be nice.

I used to live in Grays, whereabouts do you live?

Noush
Hi Noush .... you may find some recommendations in our Prague topic:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12337

David :wave
Hi Noush

We live in Orsett, along the High Road in one of the thatched cottages just before the Kings Arms.

We stayed in the Union Hotel when we was there, it was quite nice, clean and comfortable.
Sorry forgot about restaurants, we use to got to one just of the main square, it was mainly the locals in there, the food on a whole is good and wholesome and quite cheap. There is of coarse the inevitable McDonald's in Wenesislas sqaure.

But please beware of pickpokets which opperate around there!!

The main square is called christmas square at that time of year and full of stalls which sell mulled wine, its loverly.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.