Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Dublin Airport
48 Posts
OK, quick update. I'm sitting in Gatwick at the moment and the security check in at Dublin wasn't too bad, but then it was pretty early in the day - 9:40am. I flew through with no problems. I wasn't wearing any metal, nor did I pack anything odd in my bags so they didn't really have reason to stop me. If you are wearing leather or suede shoes, boots of any kind they will ask you to remove your shoes.

A few people held up the queue by arguing about taking off their shoes etc, which isn't going to get you anywhere, it just holds up the queue!!

Kerebear
What's their attitude towards electronic stuff as my husband and I might be flying out of there in the future if we can get flights cheap enough. I've heard that they don't like you taking anything electronic in hand luggage but don't know how true this is. Between us we usually have laptop which husband carries and then personal CD player (husband's), minidisc player (mine), Gameboy (husband usually has it). Husband also has our shower CDplayer/radio (Science Museum one) in bottom of his hand luggage (smallest non personal one we have). Both of us have mobile phones. I also have my travel jewellery box in bottom of my hand luggage rather than risk very sentimental items getting lost. We could put shower CD player in hold but don't like to in case it gets damaged. We both also have small wash kit with deoderant in as well or do we have to put aerosol ones in hold and just take roll on? We've also heard of people having problems getting laptops in as when stopped at customs they've been told 'it's illegal to import laptop into Republic of Ireland' one was an interior designer who lives in same town as me and my husband and he'd been to States on business.
If you are wearing leather or suede shoes, boots of any kind they will ask you to remove your shoes.

Oh God the US TSA shoe carnival hits Europe or are Dublin Airport hiring more folk with a sock fetish
They should have been doing that a long time ago. I was in the States on 11/9/01 and the increased security certainly made us feel a little bit better about flying home, and continues to do so.

Manchester Airport should book their ideas up too. Last time I flew from there my dad accidentally left his penknife in his jacket pocket. They pushed us through security so quickly that they thought the metal detector had beeped when I went through it - it had in fact detected my dad's knife. I was searched and he only realised when we got to our destination. I thought security was supposed to have been improved...

Thanks for the warning - my parents are flying to Dublin this week for a break. I've passed the message on.
During the last week, the increased security measures at Dublin Airport have resulted in hundreds of passengers missing their flights, as well as many flights being delayed.

60 additional staff have now been appointed to assist with security checks, the first 20 of those took up duty today. Queues at security checks fell to between 15 and 20 minutes.

However, warnings are still being issued for passengers to expect delays particularly at peak times. Minimum check in times must be adhered to, and the importance of carrying only one piece of hand luggage is being emphasised.

David :wave
Is it just me or was it about time that they got the security a little better as a nervous flyer im always aware of what is going on in the airport i've noticed people beeping through metal detectors and not being stopped.

If you are wearing leather or suede shoes, boots of any kind they will ask you to remove your shoes.

That was done to me last year in Manchester Airport before a flight to Turkey found it really weird as had not been done before..

But must admit security in Manchester Airport was very good. I think its time Dublin started to get a little better. Just make sure to be in the airport knowing that there might be security delays.
I have been setting off alarms at a lot of airports this past year, and had no idea why!!!!. I have been pulled up, and pulled up and it was only in Dublin that they asked me to take off my shoes. They then took the time to tell me that it was the metal rods in my shoes that were setting the alarms off!!!!! Apparently all well made shoes have this metal rod in them (cheap ones don't) and they did say that if everyone automatically took off their shoes and shoved them through x-ray it would make their job a lot easier, and quicker!!!

I just wonder why there are not notices up saying this, once people know then I am sure they would comply!!!!
I usually wear trainers when im travelling so i've never had that problem but i remember my aunt with her boots in Manchester. They full frisked me also in Manchester and i didn't even beep was kinda suprised by that and i don't look like a terrorist either lol
Cate_Taylor

never had a problem flying with electronic goods from Dublin (Last time 4 weesk ago). They do insist that a laptop is removed from the bag and x-rayed seperately, they also occassionally ask you to power the laptop up from Battery, if it won't power up you need to leave the battery behind as it cannot be xrayed due to the lead content.

Dave
We've only been asked to switch laptop on once and that was at Stansted and DH and I think it was a random check. The swab test was done and then I was asked to switch it on. I know about the lead content but we have an Apple and I don't think there's enough lead in it for it to be a problem. We always make sure that battery is fully charged for travel. glad that other electronic stuff isn't a problem although we are prepared to show security staff that it does work and is therefore genuine.
I am always frisked at Cardiff Airport and they say it is due to my shoes (metal shanks, apparently).

Helen
Problems still persist with security checks at Dublin Airport. Passengers queued for up to 90 minutes this morning to pass through security. All Aer Lingus flights and several Ryanair flights were delayed as a result, but many passengers were still not processed in time and so missed their flights.

Delays are expected to continue throughout the Bank Holiday Weekend, with passengers being urged to turn up early at the airport, with only one piece of hand baggage if possible.

We are due to fly in a few weeks time from Dublin and was wondering if security was still causing delays. Not that I mind the extra security it is just about planning as we fly at 7.20am and have a 1.5 hr journey to get to airport etc etc... Any info appreciated. Iwas on the airport website and the notice says that passengers will have a maximum wait time of 15mins off peak and 25 mins peak times, but not sure about this. :?
Hi ballymac ... as you may know, this problem was making national news headlines in Ireland, but I have heard no mention of it on RTE for several weeks now. Hopefully that is a sign of an improvement following the increases in security personnel. The peak problem time generally appeared to be 5.30am to 7.45am, but this extended at weekends, particularly Bank Holiday weekends. It may be worth ringing the airport or your airline a day or so before departure, just to verify the latest situation.

Hubby has said that if he can afford it he wants to get me an MP3 player for birthday/Christmas. We are limited to what he can get me as we have an Apple mac computer. I am wondering if anyone could tell me how much any of the following MP3 players is in the shop airside. ipod mini 4GB (I know nano has been released but am hoping to maybe get one of the last minis), ipod shuffle 1GB, Rio 2.5GB. current prices where we live are £139 for ipod mini, £89 for ipod shuffle and £100 for the Rio. If possible I would prefer Rio or ipod mini as the playlist feature would be useful for seperating different types of music. i am going to be sneaky and try to save the money myself so that if hubby can't afford it then i will buy either locally or if cheaper airside at Dublin airport. We will be going through Dublin airport just before Christmas and will be returning via Stansted which I know has a decent size Dixons airside which is tax free even on domestic flights.
Hi, can anyone recommend where to park at Dublin airport for a 14 night stay. Yes I know the long stay carpark is the automatic choice, but was wondering does anyone have experience of which area is maybe better serviced by the free bus etc.
Also have heard that it is possible to stay at a local hotel and have free parking ?? Any thoughts appreciated.

One more thought have heard of security alerts at the Airport recently has this affected times at check-ins and security check points?
Hi ballymac ... with regard to the recent security issues, one of the incidents was related to an abandoned/unattended bag, the other related to man claiming to have an explosive device in his bag. Both incidents resulted in the temporary closure of the airport for a few hours, but the delays, cancellations and knock-on effects were horrendous. Unfortunately these things do happen, but I am not aware of any changes to security procedures or check-in times as a result.

Sorry, I have no personal experience of the parking arrangements there.

Regarding Car Parking - we used quickpark (INVALID URL last year with no problems. At 6 euro per day they are cheaper than the airport own car parks and the shuttle buses run regularly. Last year we booked online in advance which was great for peace of mind - they send a code to your mobile and you just key it in at the gate. This year their advance booking system seems to be down so you just have to show up and see if they have space. However, it is a huge car park so hopefully it doesnt get completely full too often (we were there in August - still plenty of space)

I would definately use them again. However, this year with unsociable flight times and a 2 /2.5 hour drive from NI Ive been trying to sus out the hotel + complimentary parking option. Best Iv found so far is Travellodge Dublin Airport - just waiting for a reply to an e-mail I sent them re check-in times and stuff before I book -will keep you posted
Hi Carol77, we are driving from N.I. also but have a 6.00am flight time so would be interested to hear how you get on, we are going in a few weeks.

Thanks for the info
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.