Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hey poeple
27 Posts
Most of the tour operators seem to offer a two-day excursion to Istanbul With one night in a Turkish hotel.

The border posts can, I understand, take quite a while to negotiate.
There are lots of places doing pedicures and manicures, look for the signs on the streets pointing towards the salons. There is also massage on the beach - though not very private! There is a beauty salon and a masseur (in separate shops) at the Sever Yug/Polyusi. I had a manicure and she did a good job, though she didn't understand what I wanted when I asked for a french manicure. Someone I spoke to had a massage and said it was good.
Thanks for the answers! :D

I know that our tour operator is having a two day trip to Istanbul, but we were thinking of Ã¥ day trip, just to see the city and do some shopping. It will cost about 150£ with the two day trip and spending the night there, but we thought it was a little expensive.

We are more interested in just seeing the place...doesn't anyone know how far it is from SB to Istanbul?

:(
Hi kgold,

According to the route planner on viamichelin.com, it's 416Km (around 258.5 miles) from Sunny Beach to Istanbul and takes around 4hrs 53 minutes - presumably, that estimate doesn't allow for any delays at border posts.
Oh...that's a long time on a bus...Hmm..

Thanks for the answer :D
I'm going to Sunny Beach with my husband for two weeks next June. I really want to go to Istanbul. Can anyone tell me how much it costs, who to go with, etc?

I've heard it is very tiring but I think with the two weeks we should get some time to recover!
Hi ammg,

You'll see the two-day Istanbul excursion advertised by tour operators and tourist offices/street tour companies.

The cost will vary, but I'd personally look at Tour Operator excursions, it's a long trip and I would want to be sure that I was well insured, which may not be the case with some of the cheaper offerings.
We have just returned from from Nessebur after a great 2 weeks, we did the Istanbul trip and really enjoyed ourselfs, but be prepared for a hectic 2 days you leave your hotel about 5.00am and return about 9.00pm the following day
We went with our tour operator Balkan it cost £60 each plus optional £15 each for the evening entertainment (belly dancers) plus optional £19 each for cruise on Marmara sea.
You can get it cheaper through your hotel or on the street but the chances are it will be a multi national trip so the guides have to explain everything in each launuage
I have tourist office and I can tell you, that the excursions are the same everywhere. Except the jeep safaries - they are 6 or 7 different jeep safaries in Sunny Beach with different jeeps, different programs. But about Istanbul, Sozopol - Ropotamo River, Varna - Dolphinarium, Sofia - Rila Monastery ... the programs are the same. I think that £60 is too much for Istanbul - 2 days. The prices everywhere in Sunny Beach are in the region of 130 bulgarian levs (€1 = 1,9 bulgarian levs). The big companies are telling the tourists not to trust the tourist offices in Sunny Beach. I know that. Their prices are for example - 189 levs for Istanbul 2 days, for Jeep Safari - 83 levs (my price for the same trip is 52 levs). Everyone think that for this price you won't be insured. well, that's not truth. For example my company have professional guides with: english, german, russish, polish, czechish. I'm 100% sure that in all the trips are included guides. So, my web-stie will be sonn ready, so you'll see more information there. Don't trust the higher prices!
Hi,i have worked two years in a tourist office in Sunny beach so i can tell you that our price was:129 lv. for the two-day excursion to Istanbul,80 lv.for the one-day and 60 lv.if you want just shopping.In the price is included the insurance for the trip,the guide,the transport,the breakfast or the lunch-it depends which one excursion you would like to take.Only the visa is not included,because it is different for the differnet tourists,it depends whera are you from and this is a decision of the Turkish people,on the bored there.
Hi there. Does anyone have info on day trips to either of these places? I'd like to find out before we get there. We will be staying at the Majestic in Sunny Beach end May.
can't help re trips but here are reviews of your hotel!
Hi, If you fancy going to Istanbul it is a very tiring 2 day trip. Can't say I have seen any Romanian excursions.
The Turkey trip can be booked thru the reps.
Hi momof3kids,

As toonman2 said, the trip to Istanbul is widely available in Sunny Beach (but be aware that the avian flu situation in Turkey *may* have some effect on availability this year).

As far as I'm aware, the excursions to the Danube/Romania tend to be offered at the Northern coastal resorts, e.g. Golden Sands/Albena/Sveti Konstantin i Elena, etc.
As one I have done this trip twice, but not for last three years, but am assured it is the same format. If you require a sorebackside, ideal trip. This is as from Albena so you would if available need to add another two hours each way. Leave Albena 8am arrive at border 9.30ish two sets of customs and immigration to go though, dead slow is unfair comment, you may get on to Romanian Highway by 11.30. Drive to Saturn Holiday Complex walk around for 20 mins, back on Coach to drive through Constanza to large resort of Marmia, a drive round all the Hotels(obvioussly Romanian Guide trying to sell you their Holidays, then to Inn on Lake for a meal (Takes 1. 30 mins0 Then coach dash to Constanza where if you are lucky you get 45 mins shopping, must leave at 4 to be at border by five, possibly another 2 hours at both sets of Customs etc. arrive back in Albena at about 8.30 The cost last year was £32 or 96 Lev.
I did meet up with people who went to Instanbul last Sept from Albena, I cannot print their comments, I will only print of what I have done. Tonyt. Sorry fogot to add. Turkish trip was £46
two sets of customs and immigration to go though, dead slow is unfair comment

Hi Tony,

Sounds about right!:roll:

I did the 'epic' coach journey from London to Varna in March 2005, which involved this 2 hour+ rigmarole at each border crossing after Austria, i.e. Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia & Montenegro and (worst of all, especially for the Bulgarian nationals) the Kalotina border into Bulgaria itself!

The reverse journey was no better. :shock:
Good morning Baldur, Maybe I should have said "only printable comment"
Tonyt
Thank you tonyt. Your post was very informative. I read somewhere that the Turkish trip was a long drive. And the website I saw this on said their excursion left at 9PM and arrived at 7AM. I def. don't want to do it if you have to sleep on the coach!! If there is a daytime trip to Romania I may do it just for fun. It is actually June we are going/ not May. I don't think I'll ever get to Romania again (been to Turkey but not Istanbul) so I thought I could add it on just to say I've been. Ha!
Thanks again from the US
Where do you stay on the two day Istanbul trip? Is accommodation included in the price?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.