America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Almost everything is cheaper in the US but you may find that many of New York's department stores are not particularly cheaper. Depending on what you are looking for, sometimes the more general stores like Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart etc are better than the likes of Sak's, Gap and so on, at least in terms of price.

Your daughter's hair straighteners will work with an adapter but they will probably take longer to warm up. If you don't have an adapter, I would just buy hair straighteners here in the US. I'm sure you could find them for under $10, which is going to be similar to how much you'd pay for an adapter (plus you know they'll heat up properly!).

What is GHD? Is that a brand name?
Graye . yes GHD,s are a brand and they are the must have hair straighteners here in the UK. Im surprised they dont have them in America. Very expensive around £85 but they are every teenage girls must have and im afraid no other pair will do. :roll:

lyn
GHDs are the dog's wotsits in the world of straighteners :wink: I wouldn't be without mine!
Agree. We have 2 pairs in this household. Unfortunately the voltage is 110 in the US so your GHD's won't be worth taking. We just bought a cheapie pair in Walmart. Obviously they didn't compare but we didn't want to give the locals a fright :lol:
Thanks for your replies. We are staying opposite Carnegie Hall, is there a Wal-mart near there? My daughter will not leave the hotel if she can't straighten her hair :lol:
It looks like the closest Wal-Mart is about 17 miles from Carnegie Hall. But there are a lot of stores that would sell hair straighteners, such as Target, K-Mart, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Sears, Big Lots!, etc. I haven't searched for those so I can't tell you if there are any close to Carnegie Hall, but I'm sure there are plenty of other stores in the area too (I say that having never been to NYC, however).
Hi Lottie

I took my GHDs to New York and even with an adapter they wouldn't work at all. :shock: We stayed at the Salisbury Hotel, which is close to Carnigie Hall too, and I bought another pair of straightners from Duane Reade, a pharmacy that seems to be on every street corner in New York. I got a Revlon pair, which looked very similar to my GHDs, for about $30 and they were actually very good.

Re-make-up/perfume, I love Clinique and Philosophy, which are both about 40% cheaper in the US than in the UK - just remember that you have to add approx. 8% sales tax on top of the price.

U2fan
Hi U2fan

We too are staying at the Salisbury Hotel. Perhaps you wouldn't mind sending me a PM to let me know what you thought of it. We can't wait - never been to USA before. I think we'll get some hair straighteners over there.
Linda
Salisbury Hotel reviews HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
It might depend which GHDs your daughter has...

I have just bought the new out £155 ones, and they are for international usage :)
Oooh - I didn't know that they did international GHDs... We go to the US a lot, so I'll have to do some research into them!

U2fan
GHD website HERE if that's any help :wink:

Pippy :D
I have the new ones - they're mk4 ones and they only came out at Christmas...

A friend of mine has been to Orlando with her mk4 pair and said they worked perfectly there :D
Hope this helps!
Now that you come to mention it, I seem to remember my hairdresser saying that the new ones were dual voltage ( perhaps she was trying to sell me them :lol: ). How could I justify having 3 pairs of GHD's in the house :roll: I buy mine from the website http://www.beautysleuth.co.uk . Fast delivery. .
( I hope it is OK to mention it. Mk 4 GHD's £119 with free delivery.)
Thanks guys - I think I'll be investing in a pair of them before my next trip!

U2fan
Hi folks just been reading all the messages about ghd straightners does this also apply in Las vegas? is it all of the US?
Thanxs mands
Hi Mands

My GHD's worked okay in Las Vegas and in other parts of the US - it's only New York where I had a problem. They don't get as hot as back home though.

(I think I'm going to invest in the new dual voltage ones before I head back out there again in September, just in case!)

U2fan
Hi,
MAC make up is about 50% cheaper in the US. I got a load in Macy's for myself and a friend..only trouble is you can't use the 11% international traveller discount on cosmetics in there! :? But I will be stocking up on more MAC stuff when I head out to Miami in Nov 2007. Also brands like Revlon, Maybelline and L'Oreal are very much cheaper at places like Walmart and Duane Reed's and they often carry items that aren't available in the UK, by loads cheaper, often 50% cheaper or less! :lol: Make sure you take an empty case!
I always buy mine from Jason Shankley. For several years in fact, very reasonable and next day delivery. The dual voltage ones are £119...

The http://www.jasonshankey.co.uk/dsp_ProductDetails.cfm/product_key/1680/size_key/1813/New_Mark_4_ghd_hair_straighteners.html

Michelle x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.