Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Trip to Ephesus
28 Posts
I'm off to Turgutreis near Bodrum, which is closer to efeuses (sp?) than Marmaris & I too would like to do it as a 1 day.
I've read about loads that match it with Pumkkulchal & have it as a two day trip.

But I'm worried about the standard of accomodation at the overnight stop :yikes . I'm staying at the Aegean Dream Resort Hotel (5*) & I really don't want somewhere grotty (perhaps with cockroaches :yikes ) for one night.

So I'm thinking of either trying to do Efeuses as a one day trip or hire a jeep/car & do it on our own.

Can anyone advise us?

Reesy1959, you might have to hire a jeep/car & do it, bring your driving licence with you.
Hi Kim,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I am already bringing my driving license, as my other half promised to hire a car to take our friend to Konya (12 hours) to see his Parents. Guess who has to share the driving with the friend?......yes, me.

Oh well, will be an experience. Never driven in Europe before, never really fancied it, but there's a first time for everything I guess.

Mary x
It is possible as a one day trip, but will be a very long day, we did it as a two day trip from Turgutries a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. The overnight accomadation certainly wasn't five star but was ok.
Whichever you choose, you won't be dissapointed.
Hi Phil,

Do you know if it is a 2 day trip from Marmaris too?
What exactly does the trip entail?

Mary x
I strongly recommend a 2 day trip so that you can see the place once the majority of tourists have departed.

I am about to visit western Turkey on a DIY trip around the end of April and have chosen to spend 5 nights in SELCUK (pronounced sell-chook). There seems to be no shortage of simple and clean accommodation as well as pricier options. I have chosen to stay at the Nazar hotel, but seriously considered Hotel Bella, Akay Hotel and Homeros Pension. The Rough Guide has plenty of suggestions, and the above, and several other respectable choices are available over the internet.
Okay, I think it looks like the car hire and a 2 day trip.

Thanks for all your replies.

Mary x
Did it as a 1 day trip from Marmaris several years ago. On arrival the heavens opened and it poured down all the time we were there. Nobody cared, it was so interesting we wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Patka
We went to Ephesus for the day from Marmaris last August did it with the first choice rep from the hotel cost £32 each (i think) an excellent trip very tiring in the heat, would have liked to have done the virgin Mary house as well but didn't get the chance, maybe another time. Maggie
Reesy don't be too worried about the driving. I couldn't believe my 21 year old daughter drove in Marmaris last Feb :shock: She said she felt safer driving after going a few miles with her fiance :lol: Hope you have a lovely holiday
Thanks Al321 at least our friend will do most of the driving and his English is very good, so I will have all the help if I am stuck. Will definitely be an adventure.

After reading the above posts, I have not fully decided to do the trip to Ephesus as a day trip or a 2 day trip. Oh well, I have 30 days to make up my mind :wink:

Mary x
Did the 2 day trip from bodrum.Ephesus is fascinating,but pamukalle was just stunning and the thermal baths are a must.Overnight hotel was fine.Had a thermal pool ( bit slimy! ) but evening entertainment with belly dancer was good.
Downside...long time travelling,very hot so plenty of water and suncream,but overall well worth seeing a piece of ancient turkey
Hi Reesy we went from turunc last year. we hired a car and it took 3 hours approx to selcuc which is very near to ephesus. We stayed a night at a place called Attillas retreat which is located behind the deisel outlet shopping centre on the road from selcuc to adenizli. Agreat place to stay everyone really friendly the cost for a nights stay ranges from £2. to £12.
If we done the trip again i would certain recommend staying overnight then you can go into Ephesus late afternoon when the heat is cooling and most day trippers are on the way back home on hundreds of coaches. If you need anymore info please let me know. :)
Thanks both.

Did you find it easy driving there, can you get a map from the local shops giving easy directions?

Mary x
Hi We travelled to Ephesus in early Feb this year. It is great and certainly worth the trip. We stayed in Selcuk at the Akay Hotel which has already been mentioned. I would like to share my photos of our trip with you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets/72157594522635754/

8)
Hi the driving is easy much better than in the U.K. We took a map of turkey bought from W.H.Smiths in England you can get maps from anywhere in Turkey but you will be able to find destination easily just follow the road signs which are clear and plentiful
I would not worry about driving in turkey. Im quiet a nervous driver so the thougt of driving on the wrong side of the road, on the wrong side of the car scarred me. However our friends (expats) give us continued use of there cars (rental company) and the only issue I had was forcing myself to use round about the wrong way and going to grab the seatbelt from my partners face lol.
Hi Caretta, just looked at all your photo's they are really good, makes me want to visit these places after seeing them, you had nice bright days for February, many thanks for sharing them with us. Maggie
Thank you everyone for your replies and Caretta, thanks for sharing your pictures, they are beautiful. We have decided to hire a car now for the 2 days and stay overnight. Really looking forward to it now after all your replies.

Mary x
Hi all and especially to Maggie and Mary,

So glad that you liked the photos. I always say that ''a picture is worth a thousand words'' but I guess someone else said that. :lol:

We did have a great time and the weather was not that bad we where lucky no rain but it was cold. It has warmed up in Turkey however and have a super trip. I am sure that you will have a great time.

If you like to look at all my photos from different places in Turkey here is the link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/

Caretta
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.