Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
:yikes
Can anyone help me? Where does this leave us tourists visiting Sharm this summer. Is there any does and donts, i am going away for a relax and sun tan - not a dose of bird flu. Lol :wink:
Do not worry. The recent case of the woman's death is suspectedly from Bird Flu but has still not yet been confirmed as far as I know. Yes Bird Flu has been found in Egypt but so it has is so many countries around the world.

There are many other dangers to be more worried about... personally I think road safety to be the most worrying aspect.

Generally speaking I think the Bird Flu panic spreading around the world is well over exagerated and I shall continue to munch away on my chicken dishes - as I did with beef, rabbit, eggs, cheese and all my other favourites that caused a rumpus over the past couple of decades.

My main problem I guess is over-weight... now how do I get over that !
Thanks foryour quick reply :D
My other half is turning into a nervous wreck.
First it was the terrorist attacks that had him bothered.
Then we read that you get hassled and locked in shops.
Then we read about the bad stomach that 99% of people seem to get.
THEN i read about the fish that can kill you within an hour of being stung.
Then i read about the pandemonium(sorry about spelling) in the airport................... and now this.
He didnt want to go to start with :( but as always i got my way.
So can you imagine how much grief he is givin me now , he dont want to go at all. :roll:
Wouldn`t let that long list put you off. Its a wonderful place. Go and have a fantastic time you won`t regret it and I am sure like us you will want to return again.

We wern`t ill, didn`t get locked in any shops, the airport was no different to any other airport (abroad that is). Go an enjoy, the weather will be fantastic, the people are lovely, everywhere is so clean, it is cheap, I can`t praise it enough and only wish we had gone years agao.
:D thanks for that. :tup I aint as worried as the other half but i am sure he will be fine once he gets there. :)
Hi

You can read official advice HERE.

It wouldn't stop me going on holiday, just as the bombs didn't stop me going to Sharm last year a few days after the attacks :wink:

I'm returning to Sharm next year.

Pippy :D
I am sure you will both have a great holiday. Get loads of info from this forum and if its not there then someone will more than likely know the answer for you. Everyones help and advice really helped us loads last year and if you know the bsics before you go it makes the holiday even better as you can just enjoy rather than wasting time trying to find things out.
:tup Thanks for the advice.
Firstly pippy- glad to hear that the terrorist attacks didnt put you off . We cant let them win!!!!
Katiesmum- i have been on this site constantly for the last few days and cant believe how much i found out .Things like shoes to wear in the water, trips to go on and avoid, phases to use - the list is endless.Keep me informed of any thing i may need to know. :D :D :D :D
Regards Bird Flu.

I recently attended an outbreak control exercise as part of my job as an EHO, and was speaking at length to several CPHM's (Consultant in Public Health Medicine) who are the people ultimately responsible when there is an outbreak in their area in the UK.

Anyway, to quote one of the CPHMs, has said "to actually contract this disease, you would need to be eat/sleep/screw chickens virtually" - so, I would take from that, that this disease is not quite as contagious as the press seem to think.
:lol:
I hope this alleviates some people's concerns.
:rofl thanks for that mooby.I did hear somewhere else that even if you had a bird with HN51 so long as it was cooked prperly it would be very unlikely that you would end up with the disease. And as for doing "other" things with the birds- well i aint really into that. :lol:
Indeed! :lol:

There are no reports of anyone having contracted this pathogen via ingestion - so don't worry about eating it. :tup
I aint the one who worries its my other half :roll: he has had every thing from BSE to SARS. He is terrible. When he gets back from work on friday i will show him what you posted and see if it puts his mind at ease.
Thanks again. :)
Unfortunately the media have a lot to answer for Kerry.

Half the time I'm at work trying to get on with my job is taken up with people who have read something somewhere, that has convinced them they must spend the rest of their lives living in a Hyperbaric chamber ala Michael Jackson back in the 90's.

Unfortunately, society's paranoia is increasing all the time.

Last year, on this very forum, I had a heated debate with a number of people who were convinced that handling the money in Egypt was a major contributor to Gastic illnesses. These folk were running around buying anti-bacterial this and that, yet couldn't comprehend the fact that they handle items covered in bacteria during the course of a normal day. If they had the opinion they wanted to use these hand-wipes after everytime they handled money, they would then, following the same rationale, have to use these wipes everytime they touched a door handle/restaurant menu/seat on public bus/hand shakes - I mean, where do these nutters draw the line? :lol:

I even offered the fact that I'm an Environmental Health Officer, and I'm trained to deal with matters related - I had a horde of ill-informed chasing me all over the forum with 'articles' they'd procured on internet sites discussing this dangerous money! :roll:
A lot of restaurants in Sharm have Pigeon, should we avoid eating this? My hubby ate it, and it tasted like chops!!! But that was before the flu outbreak.
Avian flu cannot be contracted by eating well-cooked birds Derwentrocker. So you should be safe eating pigeons. :)
:yuck wouldnt pigeon be like rat cause they are both vermin. Dont they have loads of germs :?:
Worry about salmonella, worry botulinism, worry about Eschericia coli...
Forget bird flu these are much more common. You might get any of them from poorly cooked poultry, game or fish or perhaps dirty water.

40000 Americans a year die from colds and flu, so far Bird flu has accounted for a total of 100 worldwide.

Relax - enjoy Egypt.

Now, Manflu, according to my daughter that is another matter entirely...!
oh please, no man flu on holiday! :lol:
:cry: well thanks for that. Something else for the other half to convince himself that he's got. Lol.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.