Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
"must buys"
26 Posts
hello Fiona, when my friend went this summer (same tour as your parents) she bought a beautifull little bel from Plovdiv (totally handmade!)
So I guess its in the same material as your milk jug..
Those brown and blue home things (how do you call these in english?? :D ) are def something to bring home..
Some little orthodox icons (handpainted) and the most important thing: rose-oil in mini-package :D
But what I really enjoyed this year is/was my buro-kalender that I bought in 2005 in Albena with painted piccies of towns and views! hehe
Somethimes its not the big stuff that does the trick :wink:
Hi Tanjette,

Those brown and blue home things (how do you call these in english??

You've got me unless you mean pottery as in aardewerk? (Always knew that dictionary I bought in Dikesmuide would come in handy.)

Otherwise, please send me a photo by email if possible.

Peter
we bought a pig shaped moneybox with bulgaria painted across it.i also always bring back a jar of honey and a couple of cans of beer,just to prolong the holiday.most importantly we always bring back happy memories :glynis
The thing i bring back from Bulgaria .you cannot buy ......the warmth of the local people, My family have made many many friends on our 4 vistits to Bulgaria ........this is the main reason we go back year after year :D

The responce you get when you try & speak even just a small amount of Bulgarian is brilliant.

cheers Stevie
I have got to bring back new Specks as the cost here is a disgrace .Also the leather shoes as they are so comfortable And as doa said we have many friends also they are great people to know June : :glynis
Re specs, we always bring back frames but the price quoted in September for my prescription for lenses was the same as in the UK. However I did save over £100 on the frames.

If you do want to buy specs I would recommend going to an OPTIKA very early in your hols to give them time to have them ready.

Patka
Pots of honey for my mum and loads of t shirts, belts and cd's for my kids. :D
Hi All

Sorry must disagree with you all the most important and must have thing to bring back, is the love of the people, and the love for the country, and these you just cant buy
yes Fiona, pottery is the word :D :D
Mondeo, the question is what to buy? so you have to mention something real.. :D
I do know that the Bulgarian spirit can't be bring home 8)
Dju! hahahahha
Another wait til 24 feb for me.. :bawl
I do know that the Bulgarian spirit can't be bring home

I don't know about that Tanny, I've brought several litres of the 'Bulgarian spirit' back home over the years.... :wink:

Baldur
Hi all.

All right Tanjette, sorry for stating the obvious but as you say something must be bought and as Baldur says you can bring back the Bulgarian spirit so I would say one other thing to go with the spirit would have to be Cirenae as no other cheese tastes the same on shopska salat as it and nothing else goes as well with Rakia. :roll: :roll:
Got to agree with mondeo the cheese is brilliant .I have brought it home a few times .My friend wrapped it in grease proof paper then had it wrapped in news paper .He kept it in the fridge till we were leaving, and told me to put it in my case . June :wave
Hi June

Have you not brought it home in the tins ,although trying to open the tin is difficult as the rim on the tins is thicker than normal.
I must say that the cheese in Bulgaria is the one big let-down for me, as an avid lover of cheese.

I find most (Feta-style) Sirene far too salty and Kashkaval far too bland - fortunately I have found local sources for reasonably good Gruyere, very mature Cheddar, Roquefort and Gorgonzola when I am in my village.

Baldur
ah Balduurken, you know what I mean about spirit (spiritual that is!) :lol:
I agree about the feta cheese: bulgarian one is more salty then the greek one..but perfect for a banitsa hhhmmmm.
What is that site again (onlineshop?) where we can see all that delicious food??
groetjes Tanny
Hi mondeo it was a friend who works in the hotel who got me the cheese ,did not know you could get it in a tin Thank you for letting me know so i can get it next year. June :lol:
a site with bulgarian recipes:
http://www.passionateaboutfood.net/bulgarian.php
and found that foodlink too!!! :D :D
http://malincho.com/malincho.asp
ah, that pot of lutenitsa is great to fill with stylo's :lol:
warm groetjes from Belgium (20 degrees!!!!)
Tanjette
Hi Tanny,

I've sent you an Acrobat file of Metro's latest catalogue, so that you can drool over all of the Bulgarian food & drink items that are available there.... :wink:
Pozdravi,

Baldur
Hi Baldur

Can you please send it to me also?

Thanks
Liz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.