Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hmmm, how bizarre. The woman was obviously a fruit loop..and why was she not arrested upon arrival in Turkey?
hi..glynis...what a carry on :shock: ..i would have hated to have been on that flight,.i am nervous enough without having cookies like that on the plane....regards...john-doe
So that woman was allowed to enter Turkey, have a holiday and then flew home as if nothing had happened. Scary.

She should have been straight home on the same plane in handcuffs and arrested on arrival in Britain.

Glad I don't fly from Durham in case she is around another time.

Don't understand what a solicitor can do for the couple in the article - it wasn't anybody's fault that a complete nutcase was on the plane as she may have behaved quite normally at check-in. So who would be sued? The airline, tour operator or the Turkish authorities?

Cic
:shock: What an utter idiot.
Well done that man who floored her, i would have done the same to stop her terrifying people.
She should never be allowed to fly again.

Phew, am i glad i changed my original flight from Durham Tees Valley to Newcastle or i would have had my eye on every woman that stood up :lol: in case she was back on board.

Loulou
i think the involvement of a solicitor is due to the culture of the "where there's blame, there's a claim" culture that is creeping into this country. I can't for the life of me think who can be sued over this incident. The woman is obviously mentally unstable and so might be classed as not fit to plead etc, the airline are not to know they have got a head case on board, the check in staff cannot deny her the right to board the plane if she is behaving normally and has all the required documentation, and the Turkish authorities can't arrest her if they have not recieved a complaint about her behaviour...i think the airline would be permitted to ban her from any of their flights from any airport for the rest of her life.

The passenger who thumped the woman should be careful that he doesn't get charged with assault in today's climate and the air hostess who tied her up get charged with unlawful imrisonment or something...you know what today's world is like!
hope the guy hit her really hard ,it should have been like the film aiplane with evryone lining up to have skelp at her , bl---y nutter.
It seems odd to me that this couple are the only ones that have come forward and have contacted a newspaper and a solicitor!
hmmmm never thought of it like that zebedee...and of course, at the bottom of the article, it says the police know nothing about it...surely the captain would have had her arrested at the aiport upon landing..and it would have made headline news in todays world of terror alerts.. in fact isn't there a law where even jokingly you are not allowed to make reference to terrorism, never mind actually be nutty enough to run up and down the plane screaming your head off?. I hope she was thumped hard enough to have abit of savvy knocking into her..
wot a carry on! they should have left her in the loo and made her return to the UK in there.

how scary!
it was allowed to continue for 20 mins :shock:

Never flown with that airline, are they not trained on these situations?

Was Dalaman the nearest airport I wonder or should the plane have diverted and had her arrested?

Putting her in the toilet tied up for a flight surely comprimises all health and safety regulations.

Not an airline I would like to fly with then
I suspect this is more to this than meets the eye. The unruly passenger would have been arrested as soon as the aircraft touched down of that I am sure. I cannot believe she was simply allowed to continue with her visit and then allowed to board an aircraft for the return trip.

Why has no one else come forward to report this? If you ask me it sounds like this couple have made the whole thing up and are trying to get something for nothing by making this proposterous claim.

I'm sure if this incident had occured it would have been on National Television. And as for locking the passenger away in the toilet, that seems highly unlikely. Ok, she may have been restrained but what if she WERE a terrorist? She could easily have exploded a bomb in there. I think procedures in the event of something like this would involve the Cabin Crew restraining the passenger and tying them into their seat where they can be kept a close eye on.

I have grave doubts this alledged incident actually took place.
Tour operator Goldtrail confirmed an incident had taken place on the Onur Air flight.
A spokesman for Goldtrail added: "We have asked Onur Air for a full report on the incident."
A spokesman for Durham Tees Valley Airport said they had no record of the incident and no one had been arrested. Both Cleveland and Durham police said they had not been notified of the incident

Tour operator Goldtrail confirmed an incident had taken place on the Onur Air flight.

Seems to be some very conflicting reports in that case :hmmm . I still think there is more to this than what it appears like.
I have grave doubts this alledged incident actually took place.

I have no doubts that an incident happened, it has already been confirmed

I also don't think that 2 people would publicly declare this, knowing there was probably 200 people on the plane who could/would confirm/deny their statements.
I think the woman running up and down the aisle of an aircraft shouting "I'm a terrorist" is also a symptom of the society that we live in today....
The dreaded word "terrorist" is one that none of us ever want to hear, but it is one word that has a global impact.
Anyone who has a fear of flying has words like crashes and terrorists etc in their sub-conscious all the time.

She may not be a fruit and nut case either (I'm not making excuses for her actions).
Many people have a fear of flying, some control it, some need and take medication to help them tolerate the frightening situation that they find themselves in.
Unfortunately, some people take medication having never taken it before in their lives, in an effort to get through the ordeal.
I have heard of people taking Diamazapan only half a tablet and then mixing it with alcohol....this creates a concoction that affects the human brain and would make Mother Teresa act like a raving looney.

By the time they got to Dalaman, the effects could have worn off or at least subsided enough to make this woman lucid and coherent ......and thoroughly ashamed of her actions.

SanJi
  • Edited by Sanji 2006-05-26 15:56:44

in fact isn't there a law where even jokingly you are not allowed to make reference to terrorism

I'm not sure if there is a *Law* per say, but you simply cannot go around making such claims and not be detained and questioned.

a passenger claiming to be a terrorist threatened to blow up their plane.

Anyone making such a claim would have been arrested at the earliest opportunity...ie as soon as the aircraft touched down. No one can make claims now of being a terrorist or of being in pocession of weapons or explosives and simply be allowed to continue with their travel plans without being arrested and questioned.

For the safety of their aircraft, their staff, and their passengers, all Airlines, I'm assuming, would take all such claims very, very serioulsy. If this woman did make these claims that has been alledged, the aircraft would have been diverted to the nearest Airport or back to the Airport of departure depending on which was closer and the *suspect* would have been off loaded and placed into the hands of the Police Department.

I'm not saying an *incident* never actually took place. But what *actually* took place on board this flight has to be in question here since the article clearly states that the local Police Force have not been made aware of any incident. And I am sure they would have been.
I'm wondering if, when she was seen at the airport she didn't actually board a Durham Tees Valley flight. Durham Tees Valley is our local airport and it's very small. I couldn't imagine 2 flights from Dalaman arriving in a day.

She may have been shipped off to another British airport and from there taken into custody :shrug
Onur is a Turkish airline so perhaps she was dealt with in Turkey. :shrug
Clearly *something* must have taken place on board this flight for Goldtrail to make it public that an incident had taken place. However, from what I can ascertain Goldtrail have not released *exact* details of what happened on board.

There are a number of unanswered questions to take into consideration here:

Why was the passenger not arrested.....not because she caused an *incident* but because she claimed to be a *terrorist* :?:

Why was the *incident* not reported to the Police Authorities. :?:

Why have only two other passengers on board that flight out of a total passenger manifest of some two hundred persons come forward to publicise this alledged *incident*. :?: I'm sure most people would see *£* signs in their eyes as clearly there is the potential to make alot of money from the Press & Media from selling such a story. (I'm not one of them, but its an inescapable fact that some people who witness such events will sell their story to the press if they believe they can make a bob or two).

Why was this passenger allowed to check in on the return leg of this flight with the same passengers that she flew out with :?: Surely the Authorities would have been aware that this passenger would have caused unrest amongst the other passengers and possibly a *scene* at Check In :?:

Why has the *incident* not been reported in the National Press and on National Television. :?: From what I can ascertain this alledged *incident* has only been reported in Local Press.

Why was the passenger allowed to continue with her travel plans without facing some form of questioning or indeed being placed under arrest :?:

Why did the Captain of this Airline not divert his aircraft to the nearest Airport :?: (Unless his destination airport was the nearest one....I'm not sure about that)

Why was the unruly passenger locked up in the toilet where she could not be observed and could, in theory, if she was a terrorist have detonated an explosive device or indeed made an attempt at suicide :?: What if she were a 'suicide bomber' :?: Surely locking her up where she could not be observed would have been an accident waiting to happen. In as far as I am aware, there are only Smoke Detectors in Aircraft toilets and not CCTV :?:

Why did the Captain alledegley leave the Flight Deck at the most crucial stage in the aircraft's flight....the Landing Stage. If the aircraft was only thirty minutes from touch down his presence would have been required in the cockpit for the Final Approach....there is no way he would leave the Flight Deck at this stage.....especially since the events of 9/11.
Pilots are required on the Flight Deck and the Cabin Crew deal with the Passengers. The days of Pilots popping out of the cockpit for a stroll and a chat with passengers are long gone since 9/11. And the Captain would have been aware that his Flight Attendants were trained to deal with unruly passengers. There was no need for him to come and take a look as has been alledged.

Why did the aircraft suddenly go into a steep decent as has been alledged? A sudden steep dive to loose altitude rapidly, whilst I have never experienced such a thing is definately not the same as an aircraft loosing height gradually as it comes into land. You simply cannot mistake the two no matter what sort of commotion was taking place on board. And I'm preety certain the Captain would not send his aircraft into a sudden steep dive just to pacify one alledgedly drunken female. If the aircraft dived suddenly into a steep decent there has to be a very good reason for doing so.....WHAT is that reason :?:

I'm sure *something* out of the ordinary occured on board this flight, but just exactkey what occured has to be in question here.
i know the press get a lot of stick, but i cannot imagine they would be stupid enough to pay anybody for a story which was not substantiated ,, especially with200 other passengers on board ,clearly there is somthing fishy as you get arrested for being drunk on board a plane now ,never mind claiming to be a terrorist
clearly there is somthing fishy as you get arrested for being drunk on board a plane now ,never mind claiming to be a terrorist

Precisely.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.