America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
The following is taken from here:-
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/north-central-america/canada

Passport Validity
It is recommended that you should have a passport with a minimum of six months validity remaining. Citizenship and Immigration Canada also provides complete and up-to-date information on the entry requirements and status of travel in Canada.
Although our Foreign Office recommends 6 months passport validity for Canada, the Canadian authorities advise only that passports should be valid for the duration of your stay in the country. However, the potential problem may lie with your airline or tour operator, as some stipulate a minimum 6 months passport validity for all destinations. If you happen to be travelling with one of those, then to avoid any complications at check in you would need to comply with their minimum passport validity requirements, irrespective of any lesser entry requirements by the country concerned.

David :wave
thank you both.

David, this is the problem I've seemingly found myself, obviously I don't want to renew it until I really have to and lose 6 months on it but at the same time I want to get in & out ok! I've looked on the website of the airline I'd be using and they don't seem to know themselves but I have a brochure of theirs somewhere and so I'll have a good read at that.
I don't believe you do loose the extra months. Am sure they are added on to new passport.
The passport office will give you up to 9months credit on your new passport. I applied for my new passport when there was 7 months left on the old one and my new passport was valid for 10years and 7months.

Judith
Yes, as Glynis and Judith suggest, you can have up to 9 months validity of your existing passport transferred to the new passport. If you are not needing your current passport until later in the year, then you could renew now for peace of mind. You can do so online ... please click here. However, bear in mind that if you have already supplied your airline or tour operator with API details, then you will need to update them when your new passport is received.

David :wave
thanks for the additional info. I just feel damned having to renew it because of the cost, which I could happily spend on the trip itself. I haven't booked my flights yet & have accomodation with family so there's no issue on that. Just a massive annoyance to shell out nigh on 80 quid when I can do it when I return ideally!
It's a small price really compared to any stress you may feel regarding not having enough time left on your passport. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.