Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Just to add to the info on car hire; if you hire a car froma North Cyrus car hire firm, they will often come and fetch you from larnaca airport, take you across the border and then hire you a car, same on reverse journey. This way, you don't have to worry with two sets of insurance, or wait at the border, or get your car searched on the return leg!
Oops, forgot the Famagusta bit from last post! Remember, much of the rubble and destruction in the walled old town dates from the Seige of 1571, not 1974! This historic centre has been undergoing restoration since 1996, and although progress is slow, it is gradually having an effect, especially around the Lala Mustafa Pasa Camii. If you like your history not tidied up, you'll love it. If you prefer history with a beach attached, head for Salamis!
Hi Kyreniachap,

Have to disagree with you about Famagusta. When I visited there (last November) it was the relatively modern buildings (circa 1950's) which were in a state of delapidation.

Many of them looked as though they had been attacked by bombings. Blown-out windows, fallen balconies, rubble and debris all around............and these were high-rise apartment blocks and hotels.

On the beach at Salamis there's a massive hotel which wouldn't look out of place in Beirut. I'd guess it was built in the 1960's, and besides being totally deserted, it had all the hallmarks of having been subjected to a bombing attack. In fact, most of the hotels appear to have been deserted for decades. Most of them seem to be crumbling.

Driving on to parts of the beach at Salamis was difficult as there were barbed-wire fences everywhere, and intimidating warning signs with pictures of soldiers etc, preventing you from accessing most parts.

I did see some new apartments being constucted slightly away from the centre, so maybe they are now injecting money into the area, and in time it will be a very nice holiday resort again. It certainly has the potential. It just needs a lot of work done.
Think Kyreniachap is being specific about the area within the old city walls. he is correct in his assertation about that.

Strawberry is talking (I think) about the bombed and destroyed hotels in the Famagusta area of Varosha. Yes, they are bombed, destroyed and abandoned behind barbed wire fences.

You can find some of my pictures of "New" Famagusta HERE

and more about Varosha in general HERE
I'm thinking of going to Northern Cyprus this August but can you tell me is it suitable to take a 16year old, will there be lots of other teenagers for my daughter to make friends with, and can anyone reccomend a good hotel self catering preferably, and any advice on which tour operator to go with, many thanks Maggie
A good tour operator to use is Cyprus Paradise, their prices are reasonable and the rep service is good. They have an office in Kyrenia near Ezic's Chicken restaurant and offer excursions. I would recommend staying at one of the larger hotels in order for your daughter to meet other teenagers as alot of the smaller hotels seem to be full of couples or the elderly. Oscar's Hotel has great reports although you may be put off by the area which resembles Beirut! However once in the hotel it is apparently of a good standard and they offer a shuttle service frequently throughout the day to the town centre. The area is very run down with half built appartments etc and although it looks very rough I have walked through this area fairly late at night with my four year old and have never felt intimidated. Jasmine Court is another large hotel and has lots of things for teenagers to do. My main advice would be to watch the Turkish lads as they will treat your daughter like a princess and you could end up with a Turkish son in law!!!
Hope this helps,
Hi Xenmia, thanks for your reply but after reading lots of hotel reviews on other sites thought we might leave it for a few years when it will only be myself and hubby going on holiday. Maggie
This one is not on the hotel review list - anyone stayed there recently? Friends looking for fun, sun and sand with the kids. :P
Hi, just seen reply to my Famagusta post higher up (didn't realise all TRNC posts got popped on this thread). Yup, referring to the old walled city. And yes, Varosha is an absolute mess and a stark reminder of past events. Without wanting to get political, I always take heart from the joint restoration project in Nicosia, where UN cash has been allocated to restoration on both side of the Green Line. It's slow and certainly not perfect, but it's a start, a good start. :tup
My parents have the Cyprus Paradise brochure but there's no map in there so they are working blind when looking at the hotels & resorts and their proximity to each other.
Can anyone recommend a decent online map of Northern Cyprus please that I could print off for them?

Thanks.
Try the attached link:

http://www.pacific-rentals.com/images/north-cyprus-map.jpg

It's not great but it may be of use.
Do come - you and the kids will love it here! I think the best family place is the Acapulco beach Club and Resort, which is excellent for a sun, sand, beach and fun family holiday. It's lively, bold and there will be lots of other kids around for your little ones to play with.
I admit there are not many restaurants within walking distance, so if that is a real priority, and you don't mind a bit of faded grandeur, look at the Dome Hotel in Kyrenia. It's got a swimming pool and a natural sea water pool, and since it's right next to the pretty harbour itself, there are plenty of quality restaurants right on your doorstep.
great cyberhiker - thanks for that, I'll pass it on.
We have decided to visit North Cyprus this year and are planning a DIY trip for the two of us in May. I have seen a hotel on the web that I like the look of called The Hideaway Club and seen some good reviews but if anyone has first hand experience it would be good to know. I wondered if there was anything much nearby or would we need a car to get about. The hotel are charging £40 per night for B&B per room and this rate is for a suite. I have no real knowledge of this area, is this a reasonable rate. We will fly in to Larnaca and have been quoted £65 each way by the hotel for taxi transfers. Is this reasonable. However, if we need a car whilst in Northern Cyprus, it would be nice to avoid paying for taxis to and from the airport.. I know that it can be difficult to hire a car from Larnaca and take it into the North but are there hire companies in the North that will meet you at the airport or the boarder. Any information appreciated. Thanks
I have added The Hideaway Hotel to our reviews section. If anyone has been we would be greatful if you could submit a review.

Thanks

Sarah
Hi Janandy. There are car-hire companies based in the south that allow you to cross over to the north, one of them being Cyprus Car Rentals (link below). Have heard good reports of the Hideaway Club, but also consider Almond Holiday Village and the High Life.
http://www.cyprus-car.com/rental.asp
http://www.highlifecyprus.com/
http://www.almond-holidays.com/
http://www.hideawayclub.com/
PS If you need a detailed route of how to drive from Larnaca Airport through the border to Kyrenia, let me know.
Just typed a long missive about Northern Cyprus and was deleted cos I put web sites on - sigh....

However:
Acapulco - I do not recommend, many bad stories and too far away from Girne.
Hideaway - beautiful location, stunning views etc., again 20 mins into Girne.

Recommended Hotels
Pia Bella - 2 pools, evening entertainment, wonderful staff.
Dome - not for kids tho.
Oscars is OK once you are in it, great for young kids.
Colony, if you want posh.
Jasmin Court - good all round hotel.

Transfers from Larnaca usually cost around £75 - £80 return for 2 people.

Courtyard Inn is a good place to eat, situated in Karakum heading out from Girne towards Catalkoy, they have a web site, which I cannot post, and also do rooms at a reasonable price as does their sister Restaurant The Grove.

Sele's Restaurant situated in the old Town next to the Mosque is excellent for a drink or a meal.

Errols in Ozankoy is an excellent restaurant.

If you want cheap kebabs or turkish, there are many places located in the back streets of Girne, look to see where the Turkish Cypriots eat always a good recommendation.

Windows Bar, in the pedestrianised part of Girne next to the Car Park recommended to watch the world go by.

Beaches: Escape, which is the closest to the Hideaway, lovely but you have to pay for it.
Turtle Beach, past the Acapulco Hotel, free, long sandy beach, safe for the kids, take an umberella.

Hope all this helps. If it doesn't post this time, I am giving up.
Zarif
I think I would add the Hotel British by the Harbour, which we enjoyed, and the Fisherman's Bar for food. We ate there several times and it was excellent
Stayed at Oscars 2 years ago, great for kids and adults who like water slides and waves, i agree once your in it is great, just shut your eyes on the way there!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.