Spain - Canary Islands - All Other Islands

Discussions regarding all other Canary Islands including La Palma
There are ferry and flight connections between Tenerife and La palma. The flight info can be found here and the ferry info can be found from one of the following, Transmediterranea, Fred Olsen and Armas. They each have regular ferry and jetfoil services, the latter being the faster but slightly more expensive option.

Transmediterranea
Fred Olsen
and
Armas
The larger Canary Islands aren't my cup of tea but I love La Gomera and can understand why you would be attracted to La Palma - we're seriously looking at it ourselves as a change - but I think that you'll struggle to find somewhere that will keep everybody happy. Your 19 yr old who wants

privacy without fast foods and crowds

will probably be delighted but the 15 yr old

who likes water sports

will probably hate it! The downside of getting away to one of the smaller, less developed islands is that there simply isn't the tourist infrastructure to support much in the way of beach-based activities. You might find a dive-school but I doubt that you'll find much else in the way of watersports- no waterskiing or para-ascending etc. Also, most of the coast is formed by large sea cliffs - there are very few beaches on the whole of the island. And remember - it's a volcanic island so the beaches are all composed of black sand. As for yourself

Would ideally like to book private accom. with pool.Would it need to be heated for Easter

You'll find that most of that sort of accommodation will be up in the hills away from the coast and public transport isn't good - you'll need a hire car and will need to be prepared to drive down to a beach. Also, those sea cliffs mean that the inland areas are often at quite a relatively high altitude. On La Gomera we have often experienced the situation whereby the coast is basking in sunshine but the upper valley - less than 3 miles as the crow flies - is enveloped in mountain mist with anything up to a 10C difference in temperature between the two. We usually stay on the southwest coast of La Gomera and have wonderful views of La Palma from the apartment and can see that it is often wreathed in mist/cloud with only the coast and the highest point free of it. Given that Easter falls early this year - I personally wouldn't chance an unheated pool unless you are all fairly hardy!

That said it wouldn't put me off going and we are actively looking at it for this October as a change from La Gomera. The following website is very informative and is probably the one I'll book through if we decide to go but I haven't actually used them yet so please don't take this as a recommendation based on experience.

http://www.lapalmaholidays.co.uk/

It's worth noting that not many British people holiday on the smaller islands and it's unlikely that you'll find any British owned property. Most will be owned by locals and some by German speaking ex-pats and a smattering of Spanish and/or German will get you a long way but you won't necessarily find much English spoken on the island.

But bearing in mind the different needs of the teenagers who will be part of the group I would suggest that you don't immediately dismiss the larger islands. Yes, I'm pretty sure that you should avoid the south of Tenerife (my idea of hell on earth!) because there's nothing worse than a moody 19yr old complaining about the crowds and the fast food even if the 15yr old is in 7th heaven! I'm not sure that you'll find anywhere in the Canaries that will keep them both happy but you might find a workable compromise if you look at some of the smaller, quieter resorts on the bigger islands. A post on each of the other island forums asking for advice on where to find the the least developed and touristy resorts on each one might help with this. If you can let people know of other places you've stayed in that were similar to what you're looking for now that might help too. For example have you stayed in Western Crete and enjoyed that? It sounds to me as if you would. Or in either the far West or East of the Algarve? Such information will help others offer the most useful advice and information.

SM
Thank you so very much for taking such time to answer my questions.I think that you have about summed up my situation.I think i will have to look at the larger Islands as you suggest as my 15 year old son would drive me insane.I will definately stay clear of Tenerife Sth as you suggest but is there anywhere else that springs to mind.We would normally go to Algarve this time of year but last year the weather was cold, the pool cold and the water parks closed.We normally head for quiet villages East of Faro and have a private villa and pool.No near neighbours but within driving distance to shops, restaurants etc.No tourists in general.Where can i get this in Canary Islands but with warmer weather.At the moment the Canary Isl. seem the best bet for sun.Apart from Tenerife Sth is Las Palmas and Lanzarote similar areas?Many thanks again,your kindness is appreciated. Katherine
Hi Katherine, I'm afraid that I can't really help you with regard to where else in the Canaries might be suitable - my knowledge of Tenerife is limited to what you can see from the taxi on the drive from the airport to the ferry terminal in Los Christianos! Having been recommended La Gomera some years ago by a friend who knows exactly what I like we've got into someting of rut with our Autumn breaks. But more and more people have said 'If you like La Gomera, you'll like La Palma' that we have decided to look seriously at it, especially since there is now the possiblity of direct flights from the UK to La Gomera which could signal the start of it becoming more popular.

I suggest that you post your query into each of the other island forums asking for advice about that particular island. Let people know that you like the eastern end of the Algarve and if you can remember, list the villages you've stayed and liked - it gives people something to compare their recommendations to if they happen to recognise the names.

SM
Thank you again but how do i do as you suggest and send to other posts.I have never used this site before.Excuse my ignorance.Take Care, Katherine
Hi, try these other forums, http://www.gran-canaria-info.com
and http://www.canaryforum.com sure they could help with a private villa
also try http://www.tripadvisor.com
Gran Canaria ia a fab island with plenty of quieter resorts to suit both children.
You can just ask on this forum without having to go to others, our members have a wealth of information here and are always happy to help.

Sarah
I had a holiday in La Palma a few years ago. It's a beautiful Island but I think as Sma said it wouldn't suit your 15yr old. There are a few beaches but I don't remember seeing any watersports at all. It is a Island where most people go for hiking holidays or just lazing by the pool and although there are some nice hotels most accomodation is in Villas or Apartments away from the resorts (which are small compared to other Canary Island resorts). I was there in November, the weather was lovely but the pool was really cold.
I think the Island that may answer your needs is Fuerteventura, it's the water sports capital of the Canaries and if you stay away from Corralejo(a typical large resort) you will find smaller quiet resorts which I think would suit all of you. I have stayed in Lanzarote in April and again the weather was glorious and we could swim in the sea but the hotel pool was cold.
http://www.islalapalma.com
Alternatively you could go to Lanzarote in particular Playa Blanca, which although quiet does have a smattering of night life. From there you could venture over to Fuerteventura on the ferry to Corralejo for a day visit. If staying in Lanzarote there is the Natura Palace hotel which has small villas that can be rented for the period of your holiday. Lanzarote is a great place to have a relaxing holiday especially outwith the main holiday places such as Puerto del Carmen, Costa Tequise. You can get tours of the island from the hotel staff ask for the brochure that they have behind the reception desk and a bonus is they are usually half the price of the reps tour on offer.

This is a link to the hotel Liusted as "A" and you can zoom in and out and have a look round the Natura Palace is a really nice hotel but one thing against it is its entertainment programme you basically have to make your own.Natura Palace Hotel
You can just ask on this forum without having to go to others, our members have a wealth of information here and are always happy to help.

Sorry, I should have been more specific - I did mean the other Canary Islands sections on Holidaytruths not going to a completely different site. Just reading the threads posted on the other islands will provide you with a wealth on information.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.