Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
The legal age in Spain is 18.
In many cities throughout Spain eg: Madrid you are not allowed to drink in the streets.
Shops and supermarkets are not allowed to sell alcohol after 10 pm.

Spain is trying to down on under age drinkers amongst its younger generation.
It`s not a crime for a minor to be in possession of alcohol, but it is to the person who supplied/sold it.

SanJi x
is that the same in resturants? thanks by the way
Hiya Pat
is that the same in resturants

No, from my experience it differs from area to area and restuarant to restuarant.
Obviously if a 15 year old went in and asked for a drink, then they would/should be refused, but amongst family sat around a table, then I doubt very much you would have any problems.
A 10 year old sat amongst you consuming alcohol would.
The problem with Spain is.....no two towns interpret and carry out the law the same....but the law is 18 and the circumstances determine the outcome.

SanJi x
Im actually going to Tossa de mar,
Im sure I read somewhere that the age limit it certain parts of spain was 16?
Hi

Were just back from Castel Montgri Estartit and it looks like the age limit there is about 14.

There were kids who were taking part in the under 14's kids shows then going to the bar for a drinks yet each kids carry a camping pass which has their ages on it. It would only take a few seconds to check this before serving
On 26th May 2006 at 02:07pm, Sanji said:
The legal age in Spain is 18.
In many cities throughout Spain eg: Madrid you are not allowed to drink in the streets.
Shops and supermarkets are not allowed to sell alcohol after 10 pm.

Spain is trying to down on under age drinkers amongst its younger generation.
It`s not a crime for a minor to be in possession of alcohol, but it is to the person who supplied/sold it.

SanJi x
The law is you must be 18 so if you do you are breaking the law. Ao the question really is "Do you feel Lucky" If the Police come into the bar and start checking (and they do) then you could be in trouble but perhaps you might spare a thought for the owner of the bar.

As Sanji has said (and she is a very long standing member of HT and has spent a lot of time in Spain so does know what she is talking about) It`s not a crime for a minor to be in possession of alcohol, but it is to the person who supplied/sold it.

Similar rules apply as here in the UK - the bar owner ccould lose their licence and livelyhood.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.