General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Airmiles
15 Posts
i used to collect them through my bank(nat west) but they stopped doing them and lloyds took over. i did not want to change bank so just left what i had left, knowing i did not have a lot -about 2250.
i have my tesco vouchers which i was always going to add to my airmiles but have not got round to it.
anyway i got a letter last week saying that as i had not added any miles for 2 years they would close my account unless i added some before august.
so now i have the choice of topping up my miles to 2500 and i can get a free flight to sofia, or just get 1 and 1/2 free flights to barcelona but i have to pay£30 as i've not collected for a year.
i think the system is better now than it was, as your free flight now includes taxes etc and so if you can collect the miles fairly quickly i would think its worth looking at.
I'd be interested to know where and how you can collect airmiles ?

Can I convert my Tesco points ? I always end up with loads of them and because I have no idea what to do with them I usually (stupid I know :duh ) spend them in Tesco's on more shopping !
I collect airmiles from Tesco and via my Lloyd's credit card. Last year I had enough for 3 BA round trips from Edi to Heathrow and another 2 from Edi to Gatwick. I've got enough miles saved up this year for a return flight for 2 to Switzerland.
re tesco vouchers- never use them for your shopping! There are loads of different ways of spending them if you look at their deals. Fell out with OH just yesterday as the numpty found some vouchers I had by the computer ready to convert them and used them for the shop.
[url=http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=236&bci=4294966456%7CAirmiles[Here[/url] is the info for exchanging vouchers for airmiles.
BA miles nowadays do have a fair amount of added taxes so thought it might be worth changing to airmiles.
Where have members flown to on airmiles?
ive just changed my airmiles with tescos back to vouchers as i found the flights i was getting quotes for were a lot dearer with airmiles than i could get, ive just tried to use them for turkey and disneyland paris and they couldnt get me a decent price , it was £80 more than i got for the turkish hotel,and that was using my airmiles :duh , so a waste of time, ive been happy with them over the years until this last few mths, so ill see how i get on with vouchers now, can still use these towards airmiles if i want

i did use some in dec for my madeira hotel, and for a hotel in prague, but ive only ever used them for hotels not flights
thats a pity. I got rid of most of mine a couple of years back on wine because I couldn't find anything worthwhile holiday wise. The last straw was finding that the hotel I was going to in Rio cost more with airmiles. Made no sense- pay more and also give over airmiles to get the room. :que
ive just changed my airmiles with tescos back to vouchers as i found the flights i was getting quotes for were a lot dearer with airmiles than i could get.

how do you do that Karen .I didnt know you could . I stupidly converted about £50 worth of clubcard vouchers to airmiles over a year ago and found the same as you . Only thing on there I can see a possibility of using them for is the Eurostar but would feel happier converting them back if i could.
I find they're not good value for hotels or holidays but good for flights. Edinburgh to London is 750 airmiles per person return including all taxes etc.
i think i worded that badly what i meant to say was i rang tescos card and told them to stop transferring them into airmiles, i was told i cant change my mind back again lol, ive still got some to use up. the problem i found was they dont deal with the budget airlines like easy jet etc so therefore flights were always dearer for where we wanted to go, they only seem to use octopus for accommadation, and some other co that is very dear
Me I have 50,000 BMI airmiles but finding that they are very restrictive on where I can go. Enough for a flight to New York or San Francisco but when I try to do a search the only place in the US that is coming up is Chicago. I can do Europe but again restrictions on where I can travel to. Brussels is 9000 miles Tax £46 but Zurich is 15000 and tax £65 so am at a loss.
I also have quite a few BA miles so must look at that as it may offer more choice for me.

Sue
I too am thinking of asking Tescos to stop transferring my points to Airmiles. I only have about 900 which I may use for a trip to Paris some time but haven't found them at all useful for a while now. In the old days they concentrated mainly on flights and were quite handy as I've used them for both Paris and Tunis, sometimes paying the extra in cash but now they seem to plug holidays and you can usually get better value elsewhere. The fare to Gatwick for a 'free' flight to many places in Europe would be more than the cost of the flight from Stansted with Ryanair or Easyjet and I can get to Stansted on the bus for nothing.
I emailed BMI to ask how I can book flights with the Star Alliance and have also spoken to them on the telephone.
I need to call them when I decide where and when I want to travel. I can travel on any of their SA partners to any of the destinations they fly to. Will have a look and decide what I might use them for at least now I know.

Sue
ive been collecting airmiles from my lloyds credit card, i use the am express one as u tend to get more and i also fill up my car at shell and have one of their drivers club cards which i transfer to airmiles, i keep forgetting to change my tesco ones over :whoops
We have been collecting Airmiles for a few years now and have also booked a few holidays with them where I have got them to price match. We collect them from Lloyds TSB Duo card, Shell Drivers Club and Scottish Hydro for gas and electricity.

We have had some good deals on flights too as sometimes they have specials. For example we have flights booked for June from Aberdeen to Heathrow then onto Munich, and obviously the return journey. At the time of booking these last year the average cost of the flights for the two of us was around £400. We got these flights for 1020 miles and £160 in cash. :D

I have also just booked flights to Manchester which haven't cost me a penny as I just used Airmiles.

When we have booked holidays with them you can pay in miles and 1000 miles equates to £60. Plus you get miles back on the holidays and also can pay with your credit card with no extra charges.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.