Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Private Airport Transfers - making sure you are safe

Many people use a private transfer to get to their resort, rather than relying on the transfer coach or public transport. People/firms offering these private transfers advertise on various sources: websites, eBay, word of mouth, even in bars around the resort.

Unfortunately, there are an awful lot of these transfers that are illegal, unlicensed and therefore under or non-insured. Hopefully the following will explain how to make sure you are covered by picking a company that is fully legal to operate "hire and reward" transportation.

All public service vehicles have to display a "Tarjeta de Transporte" in the front window, normally on the drivers side. This is an A5 certificate that is only given to legal/licenced transport drivers or companies. By legal/licenced I mean the following: The company must be a registered Spanish business and also have the appropriate insurance, both for the vehicle and the passengers. Vehicles and drivers that hold the Tarjeta de Transporte also display an SP sign on the front and back of the vehicle. This is usually a metal plate or sticker on or around the bumpers. SP stands for "Servicio Publico" which shows that the appropriate licence is held.

Secondly, there are some other signs to look out for that will suggest that the driver and/or car is illegal. I will list them here:

If the driver asks you to meet them in a certain place, rather than via a name board in arrivals
If the driver asks you to meet in the carpark
If the driver refuses to drop you off or pick you up outside the hotel
If the vehicle is not located in the free designated coach or taxi parking
If the driver asks you to call him "Uncle Steve" or whatever in case the police stop the vehicle
If the driver asks you to give them a hug or kiss when they drop you off at the airport (classic!)

The implications of being caught are huge. If the police stop the vehicle and they determine that it is an illegal taxi the vehicle will be seized and you will be left stranded at the side of the road, or motorway or toll booth (another thing, illegal drivers often go the non-toll road to Benidorm as the police often have road blocks at the exits to the tolls). Also, there is talk of the passengers being fined too, as if the are complicit or knowingly using an illegal taxi.

Finally, imagine being in an accident in an illegal taxi? There will be no public liability insurance and your holiday insurance would be void too.

If you want to check whether you may have booked with an illegal company or individual ask them to send you a copy by email of their "Tarjeta de Transporte" license. Legal companies will be more than pleased if you explain the reason for this request.

These rules apply regardless of the number of seats in a vehicle, or the number of passengers carried. Without getting too technical, different types of vehicles do have slightly different licences (up to 4 passengers, up to 8 and up to 55), but the rules detailed above still apply.

Let me know if you need any more info.

David
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.