Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
We as a family do both types of holiday. AI makes it cheaper for us as a family, but when going AI we still do eat out in local restaurants for a couple of nights during our stay.

If taxes start being added on to these hotels then how long will it be before they are affected by people not wanting to go as it gets to expensive. It needs to be looked at from both angles and surely it us up to the individual family where they choose to holiday whether by SC or AI?
While i understand the point you are making , you also have to remember that these large hotels also employ lots of local people , and do support the local economy with the large amounts of produce - alcohol etc.We only go all inclusive now and do use the local bars and shops etc , and without the all inclusive hotel i wouldnt be there at all
I agree Garry......heartbreaking seeing so many businesses up for sale last year. Lots of people go AI and stay within the hotel, no reason to spend in local bars and that's what's killing businesses. We're going back in a few months, will be interested to see how many have survived.
If a tax was imposed in Majorca, people would just look elsewhere, Turkey, Egypt etc
The problem in Majorca is that many established hotels in towns have become AI, whereas if you flick through a brochure, a lot of the AI hotels in Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia etc are purpose built on the beach, out of town,some as far as 10-15 mile from the Resort mentioned in the brochure, with fewer bars and shops nearby.

As a couple SC or HB suited us, but with 3 children AI is tremendous for the little things that mount up over a fortnight, snacks, ice cream, pop, and of course the odd pint for me!
I can see both sides, the need for the hotels to sell rooms and the struggles of bar owners who, lets not forget, for years have made money on the back of the hotels being on their doorstep, often attracting trade by being cheaper than the hotel bar.

As a family of 5 we are already hit with extra fees for family rooms (club mac/jupiter/saturno in Alcudia want £12 per person per night according to Thomas Cook 2012 brochure) adding a substantial amount to the basic cost of a holiday, a tax on top would take it out of reach of the average working family, and as much as we love Majorca, we would certainly look elsewhere
Thank you for your prompt replies folks,

Debbie, I agree for families, AI is great, glad to hear you still support local restaurants and bars, so many people don't

Matty, yes, they do employ locals, and buy produce, and alcohol locally, glad you too support local bars, and shops, again many people don't, which is my point to all this.

Tis, you understand where I am coming from on this, we have spoken many times on the subject, let me know your findings yeh.

jollypostie, you have hit the nail on the head my friend, these AI hotels should be away from the popular resorts, and any established resort hotels that choose to become AI should pay a premium, for the privelege.

Thanks again Garry
I will indeed Garry.....so long as Cheers, Winstans & Argos Bar are up and running I'll be a happy chappy from a family eating out point of view as those are our fave haunts! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.