Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Just got back from a fantastic weekend in Amsterdam, stayed at the Owl Hotel, lovely hotel, very quiet with a garden.
We packed loads into the 2.5 days we were there and the highlights of our trip were;
Heineken Experience - fantastic, worth every penny and the drinks an added bonus!
Anne Frank House - very moving experience, it brought me to tears walking round the house.
Amsterdam Dungeons - what a laugh, be prepared to scream and laugh all at the same time - I loved this place
Lovers Dinner Cruise at night - not cheap but very enjoyable - lots of wine and good food with a good host that gave us loads of information about Amsterdam
Van Gogh museum - not being a great lover of art I don't think I appreciated this as much as other people - I am glad I saw it but can't say I have been converted.
Red Light District - we had a walk round and saw the ladies then stopped for a drink on the outskirts - you cannot go to Amsterdam and not see this part but remember there is more to Amsterdam than this bit.
Any one going in June? We're there from the 22nd till the 26th for my birthday!
Have booked to stay at The Park Hotel in September, there are no reviews for this hotel - could anyone give me some information.

Many thanks,
Mick
There are some reports HERE for the Park Hotel.

Robby :wink:
Hi,

I'm planing a trip to Amsterdam with a friend and we're trying to find a fairly nice, but as cheap as possible, hotel. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas? Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Also, does anyone have any "must see/do" guidance for Amsterdam - would love ideas from people. It's our first trip there and we're there for 4 days and would like to see/do as much as possible!

Many thanks,

Laura
Try the Hotel Singel - comfortable, friendly & not too dear (or too "cheap", if you know what I mean :lol: )
http://www.singelhotel.nl
Just thought I'd throw my tuppence worth in! Me and a friend went to Amsterdam September 2004. We stayed at the Hotel Leidse Square and we thought it was great. Incidentally, it's the hotel that Roy and Haley from Coronation Street stayed in when they were filming!!

It cost roughly £41 each per night for a twin room and breakfast was included. The breakfast was quite good. The usual stuff. The rooms were very spacious and clean with a big bathroom. There was also a lift.It was a good location for us, quiet street but near to Leidseplein for all the bars and stuff. I would definitely recommend it.

In fact we're going back this September. I searched the internet for other hotels in case there was a better deal to be had, but between the prices and bad reviews, I have to say I couldn't find a better option than this hotel...we know what we're getting.
Laurfluf

Try the singel hotel, it's near dam spuare and about a 10 minute walk from the train station. Must sees are the heineken museum, anne franks house and if you're into museums, the van gogh and reiksmuseum are very good. also you have the usual red light district but don't be put off my the stories.... some good bars and we usually spend most of our time there. depends what you want from your holiday but if there's any more info you need just ask!
I second the Hotel Singel, stayed there a few times.
My fave museum is the Amstelkring, which is really 2 museums in 1; it's a 17th C canal huse, with a church hidden in the attic! Brill.
Hi everyone have just found a cheap flight to Amsterdam and we're thinking of going for a hen weekend. Has anyone got some reasonably priced recommendations for accomodation. We're going the first weekend in March. Thanx all.
The next door Chinese Restaurant (Floating Pagoda) is really good, especially the Spring Rolls and Cantonese Style Beef!! :)
Going for a weekend, can anyone give me tips on which area to stay, ideally near city centre, nice hotel/BB. As long as it's clean and friendly with a nice breakfast.
And any links to hotel would be good.
Thanks
Pat
pat, have a look at http://www.singelhotel.nl/
It's 5 mins from the station and 5 mins from the nearest tram stop. you're a 10 min walk from dam sqare ( you can walk through all the shops on your way!) and a further 5 mins from the red light district. It's a great hotel and very clean. the breakfast is buffet style and they have a lot of choice.... don't expect full english in most hotels. if you need any more info let me know!
Does anybody know if you can pick up an Amsterdam streetmap in the UK, or whether you have to get it in Amsterdam?
hiya

I've bought a couple of guidebooks from Borders which have streetmaps on the inside cover. They also do just the maps if that's all you need. If you PM me your e-mail, I'll send you an attachment of a streetmap which is quite useful and outlines the main attractions.
Hi all,

Myself and hubby are considering going to amsterdam in september. Haven't booked it yet can't seem to find reasonably priced accomodation. we were told to wait till we get there and get somewhere then, i'm not to keen on this, has anyone done this before or any suggestions where would be a good place to stay. any help would be great.

:thanks

Clare
Clare, see my previous post
I would recommend Frisco Inn every time - they have a website http://www.friscoinn.com extremely clean, very friendly staff, unbelievale location, and cheap too! I wouldn't hesitate going back there!!

I have quite a few pictures of the place I can post up if anyone wants....
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.