Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Hi
We are off to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks. I lost/had stolen my engagement ring. and would like to get a new one from Amsterdam when we go.
What is the jewellery like. cheaper, nicer etc.
is it wise to get one from there. and which is the best place/ names please.

did anyone get any nice jewellery from there.
??

We are staying at the Nova hotel, DAm Square

any emails are appreciated.

thanks
Hi
We are going to Amsterdam 9/12/06 6 adults 40 - 50 years old. We are looking to stay in a nice hotel/B/B in or near city centre.
Can you tell me what are i should be looking for please.
Patty
Beth, sorry, I've just read your post, hope I'm not too late!
There are a large number of jewellers in Amsterdam, and the price range is just as wide :) so it all depends on how much you want to spend.
As an anniversary present a couple of years ago, I bought my wife a solitaire from the Amsterdam Diamond Centre; while they have a large selection of ready made rings, we had one made specially. First she had to choose the stone she wanted, then there came a discussion with the goldsmith about settings, style, etc., then he went into his workshop and made the ring from scratch. All of this added to the occasion, and she ended up with a very special ring, which, although not cheap to start with, is worth so much more because of the way it was bought.
hello!!

hoping someone can help me! managed to get a deal on a p&o minicruise and i will be in amsterdam on 12th october for around 7 1/2 hrs. never been before so need help to decide whats the best things to do and see. also, its my 30th birthday that day :D so would like to go somewhere nice for lunch. getting the bus in from the ferry port so i think we get dropped at centraal station at 10.30am......
thanks in advance, as xxxx
I have now narrowed it down to 3 hotels.
Piet Hein
Albus Grand
Singel hotel.
Which is best for location, not too noisey, able to walk and not rely on public transport, easy to get from airport and best suitable for 3 couples ages 40 -50 yrs old
Thanks
Taffy
I only know the Singel. It's a nice little hotel, only a 5 minute walk from Centraal Station (you can get a train direct from the airport), and only 10 minutes or so from Dam, etc. which seems to meet all your criteria.
We have now booked Piet Hein hotel.
Have been looking at things to do in AMsterdam and have decided on Anne Franks house, pancake house,will probably take a walk around The red light district.
Now down to shopping, best places to shop, just for nice gifts.
Patty
Going to amsterdam on the 16th november, staying at the singel hotel after reading the recommendations on here. What to take hubby for a nice meal as he will be 40 while we are there. Have had a look on the website of the floating chinese and not keen on the menu, could anybody recommend anywhere else, dont want to be paying mega prices but want something nice. Also am wanting to go see an x rated show, dont want to go to a rip off place, any recommendations (not sure if i am allowed to ask this on here, sorry if im not) :oops:
The Vijf Vlieghen, on Spuistraat, is very good, without breaking the bank, although I have to say that just around the corner, (on Kattengat), from the Singel Hotel is de Silveren Spiegel, which is VERY special - see their website at http://www.desilverenspiegel.com I can heartily recommend the poached veal
As regards the X rated show, obviously cannot say too much as this is a family forum, but try Casa Rosa theatre, live show, obviously not for prudes but is not just geared for men, it is I would say "couple friendly", certain parts of it are quite funny as well, I was wary before going in but after watching the show found it quite entertaining, if you need any more info, please feel free to send me a pm.

Polly
hi,
going to amsterdam for the first time the weekend can anyone tell me how much golden virginia tobacco is and branded ciggaretts
Hiya, we have booked a short break in March and we have booked rooms at "The Avenue Hotel"
I have managed to find out limited info on this hotel on other sites, which generally seem good.
However, I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had any info about the hotel. Any hints or tips would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
If anyone can assist by posting a review for the Avenue Hotel, please do so http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/write-review/

Thanks.

Pippy :D
Hi

I'm going to amsterdam with my parents and i need to book an apt for 6 people. I've come across these 2 apts. 1 is by the station and the other past dam square.

Could you help me make up my mind please

I'm now looking at these two apts which if it was your choice would you go for.
I like the location of this one. Near the Leidseplein
http://www.apartments-for-rent.com/a...s/amstelfield/
but i also like this one near the station
http://www.stayamsterdam.com/apartme...&dep_year=2007
Hi Chris. I can't get the links to work, but I went to the 2 sites direct; the Kerkstraat apartment is in a good location (I used to live near there!), fairly quiet but within easy reach of both Leidseplein & Rembrandtplein. i think the other one is on Waterlooplein, which is a little out of the centre of things. The square itself is OK, but to walk from there to Dam or Centraal Station will take you through the red light area (although you could use the Metro). If I've got the wrong apartments, :oops: please let me know.
Cheers
Iain
Aha! I was wrong about Waterlooplein. Sorry.
Nieuwendijk is a pedestrian only shopping street, running parallel to Rokin, running from Centraal Station near enough, up to Dam and beyond. It can get very busy during the day, and although it eases off at night, there is still a fair number of people wandering around. If you want to be right in the heart of things, (5 - 10 minutes from everywhere :lol: ) go for it, but if you want a bit of peace now & then, go for the Amstelfield one on Kerkstraat - a bit further out, but not that much. At the end of the day, you pays your money, you takes your choice.
Thanks for those, i'm just so undecided, the one on Kerkstraat, seems a nice area, and it has balcony doors which could be opened, but i like the look of the one on Nieuwendijk.

I think i remember walking down Nieuwendijk when i stayed at the barbizion palace.

it is a birthday present for my dads 70th birthday and mymum who is 65 will be there along with my sister and daughter.

I won't be taking them into the red light district at night, as i'm not sure my dad would like that.

but i was planning a night out in the square at leidseplein, going to some museums, vondel park, maybe the heniken museum, ann franks house, and a canal boat trip.

If it was you what would you choose, and i won't hold it against you :lol:
Hi Chris. On the basis of what you're planning, I would go with Nieuwendijk - everything is either an easy walk away, or a single tram ride. From Kerkstraat, most of what you want to do is a couple of trams away, as I'm assuming your mum & dad won't want to walk too far.
If you're there on a Sunday, make that your day to visit Vondelpark, there is often live music then.
On the Anne Frank Huis, try to get there before 10 am, or after 3:30, when the queues should be less.

Hope I've been of some help - if I can help any more, please ask.
Hi

i think that is the one were going to go for.

cheers and i will let you know tomorrow which onei booked.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.