Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
After hours of research we decided on the Jaz Mirabel Park (Portland) for our first visit last month. We were very happy with our choice because we wanted a small hotel by Sharm standards. All rooms look onto the pool and beautiful gardens and there are no problems getting a sunbed! Food was good with no queuing and everyone was very friendly. We will definitely be booking again for next year and it was good value compared to some of the other hotels.
As our Easter break won't be our main holiday, I'm sticking to a budget, which means that I'm looking for something no more than around £600 - £630 pp AI After much research here and on TA, I'm only left with 2 or 3 reasonable hotels. It seems I will have to make a compromise, lower standard hotel but close to beach and/or naama bay or better hotel but not so good location.

I showed my shortlist to hubby and he's chosen St George 3 corners as it's got the better reviews and he says it shouldn't bother me that it's not very close to anywhere because I don't like walking too much anyway and spend most of my time in and around the pool (he's got a point).

We've got plenty of time to decide. I'm even keeping an open mind on other destinations e.g. Fuerteventura as it won't be so hot there but we should still see temps in the low to mid 20's. can also get a hol here a lot cheaper.

Here I go again, going round in circles :duh
shirley h wrote:
I showed my shortlist to hubby and he's chosen St George 3 corners

I do hope that he realises 3 corners is miles away from the main area of Neamma it's OK for poolside but you are near the Red Sea get yourself closer to the fishies
it's OK for poolside but you are near the Red Sea get yourself closer to the fishies

I do agree with Gray . The best thing about a holiday in sharm is the Red sea. The rest is just desert .

Also consider DIY girls . It's easy peesy to Sharm and 10 mins from the airport . Cheapest flight I've found at the moment for next Easter holidays out of london is around £330 from gatwick with thomas cook on the 9th . Not sure how Easyjet will fare but I guess their prices wont be available until later in the year for Sharm. Thats a good price for Easter and similar to what I've paid this year .(my total holiday price came to around £500 each for this year DIY at the hilton and that is one of the more expensive hotels. ) You should easily save against a package at that . Deposit only available with Travel republic. A little cheaper by booking with flythomascook (£309)but you would need to pay the full amount now I believe.

I will probably book those flights very soon if the price doesnt go up .
Yes I realise it's not by the beach but as long as I can have one trip there (I think there is an hotel bus that gets you there in about 10-15 mins) I'll be happy. It would be nice to take some photos of the fish but tbh, the thought of them swimming all around my feet :yikes Hubby doesn't like the beach at all, so this hotel would suit us fine. We'd be going to Egypt mainly for the weather. Don't get me wrong, if I could find a nice hotel on the beach within my budget, I'd book.

As for DIY, I've looked into it Lyn and as we'd want to fly from Cardiff or Bristol I'm getting no joy. If we flew from London it would put up our costs as we'd have to add a night's accomodation and petrol. I've found some local flights but by the time I add on Sharm hotel accom, we're back to the package deal prices :(
We are not beach lovers either shirley and most parts of sharm do not have good beaches anyway and you can't just paddle into the sea from most of them . What they do have is coral , colourful fish and jetties to wander up and down or sit on the end of . Nothing beats the feeling of sitting on the end of a jetty surrounded by the Red sea and watching the snorkelers . IMHO We prefer to be outside of Naama where the sea is clearer and more colourful . The sea is not as clear in NB and the water is full of dive boats and the diesel they chuck out .

Saying that I know you would be happy with a book, sunbed and nice weather as I am too . It's just nice to have the connection with the red sea if that makes sense.

lyn
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.