Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
We too used the KLIA Express VIP service when we went to KL back in october. It was great not to have to worry about our bags as they were collected and carried for us at all times, no hassle with taxis or sitting in a car for hours in KL traffic, even the quality of vehicles they used to shuttle us from the transtation to the hotel was above the norm. The staff even helped us purchase a local sim for our phone at the airport. I think it was 170RM for 2 each way which we paid when we prebooked in the uk. Highly recommended.
Nice report Pete

We looked at using the KLIA Expres but settled for our using the airport taxi service. LCCT to KL hotel took us 50 minutes, hotel to KLIA took 40 minutes. 102 ringitt door to door. Never found the traffic to be a problem on airport transfers whenever we've been to KL. Mind you the traffic within KL is a different story.

Keep thinking we must get back to Bali, just been the once. Liked the look of Ubud. Trouble is Bali does not fit in with our winter holiday schedule
Pete
I know what you mean about Bali. Its definitely a place that gets a hold of you. I could never go to Bali without a few days in Ubud. Accomodation there is always special.
We did think that we would try somewhere other than Sanur- but I bet we don't :D Mings- thats a shame if its gone downhill a bit.
Shangri La- we had horizon rooms there and it is one of the best big hotels we have stayed at. Its just a pity I wasn't over fussed with KL itself. Agree with the express- great to not have luggage to worry about and very quick into the city.
Hi Pete
Just read your trip report, I've not been looking at the Far East forum for a while as we've been going to Goa Nov & Feb for the past couple of years.

BUT - I'm thinking we're getting ready for a change and our thoughts have turned to Bali as we've been 4 times before and have always had a really great time.

We were last there in Sept 2007 (staying at the Grand Bali Beach so at the opposite end of Sanur from you) and I was wondering if you could tell me if things have changed much.
Still lots of places to eat & drink? etc etc

What is the exchange rate like?
What are typical prices for a good meal?
Prices of beer, G&T etc?

Thanks in advance.
Hi PPC - Good to hear from you.

Yes, there are still some good restaurants, at all levels, in Sanur. The IDR is tracking at just below 14,000 to the pound, whereas in 2007 it was at around 18,000. http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=IDR&view=1M

This has forced prices up, although we found them still reasonable - although alcohol (except local stuff) was very expensive.

I must admit that I cannot remember the price of a GnT or a beer, but this is probably because I didn't want to think - a bottle of local "Two Island" Shiraz was just over £22 (310,000 IDR) and Merlot in Mings a whopping 450,000 IDR ( or 85,000 per glass).

Soft drinks (cola / tonic) were 35,000 in the hotel and Bintang Beer a whopping 54,000.

I honestly cannot remember prices outside for beer/GnT but it was obviously not this high.

A GOOD meal for two in Mings, including wine came to 1,039,000 including wine and at the Mezzanine 941,380 - but these were really upmarket meals. Mades (good local food near Wareng Pregina) could be done for far, far less - £10 without wine!

The weather in Bali has been poor Sept/Oct for our last two visits.

We are struggling to find somewhere - 28 Sept to 15 October ( we want to give Bali a miss as 3 years on the trot would be too much - although you never know!). If you have any suggestions they would be welcome. We are thinking of Mauritius, but are very uncertain. We prefer a Goa / Bali / Thai, type of place rather than the seemingly sanitized resorts in Mauritius.

I doubt if I have been much help, but enjoy - Sanur is changing, but it is not all bad by any means although we are thinking of trying Seminyak next time round.

Enjoy your travels

Peter
Just for You PPC

Hot off the press - a small cold Bintang is 15 to 20,000 in a bar.

Cheers

Peter
Hi Pete
First - an apology for not responding earlier to your very detailed reply.

Thanks so much for your very helpful posts.
It does sound like the prices have increased quite a bit since our last visit.

It's a bit worrying to hear that the weather hasn't been great in Sept/Oct.

I'd love to be able to recommend somewhere for you but we're struggling too.
We really prefer to go mid November but just haven't been able to find anywhere to match Goa.

We've tried Cancun in Nov but the weather was really quite poor.

I don't fancy Mauritius or the Seychelles, I like the freedom of B&B and wandering out of the hotel and deciding where to eat over a beer.

Oh well, after reading your reply I'm not convinced that revisiting Bali Sept/Oct would be a good choice, so I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks - hope you enjoy wherever you decide on.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.