Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
belated report
41 Posts
Hurry up with some more please....I want to hear about the train journey!!
Great to have a late trip report to cheer us all up!!

Michelle
You keep going John, look forward to the rest, look forward to the train part :D Great start, don't leave it too long for the rest :wink:
Anita! definately keep it coming!
:bawl :bawl JW you did not write enought it was getting good and then you stoped please please do more .....and very very soon I love reports no matter how late they are ....colleen
That was great - bring on the next bit very soon please.

I'll be flying to Mumbai on 6 Sept before I take my flight down to Goa so I'm looking forward to the madness!! I think....

Tracey
Great start ~ I know you were there long-term this season so there must be lots more !! Can't wait for the next instalment. :D
thanks everyone will post again soon :D
Come on John, it's been 2 hours since that 1st post :rofl
Very good report interesting for me as i am thinking of doing goa the same way,looking forward to train ride
The report is great! I still have 102 sleeps til I return to Goa so reading another report makes me feel a bit closer to it. Cant wait for the next part .... :D
Good stuff, certainly is a bit of an eye opener travelling from the Airport :shock: Leopolds was the first meal I ever had in India, egg curry because I was too scared to eat meat after everything I was told, I stayed in a place right at the back of Leopolds and yes the room boys offered to get me beer from the shop too lol , keep it coming :wink:
Great read look forward to the next installment :)
Wow John I am loving this report, we always use emirates when flying to the far east and they are quality.
I would just love to travel to goa through Bombay as I would love to visit there, I am eagerly awaiting the next bit, thanks, shirleyv
Brilliant, great report. Dont know about anyone else but im glad you have done it late. We havent had a report on here for ages.

Cant wait for the next part :D
C'mon Anita and John ~ aren't you going to do another instalment :(
hi all here goes day two ,

we had booked our hotel near the railway station so we could walk there and book our tickets for the next day so we were up early after a very much needed sleep which was interupted on a regular basis cos the lift was used frequently through out the night and it played a very lively tune when in use ,

we had breakfast in the on the buses style canteen / restaurant , the menu was various types of eggs and a welcome cup of tea, lovely ,

we walked to the railway station and were imediately pounced on by someone claiming to be a tour rep offering to book our tickets he told us it was almost impossible to get a ticket to goa but he would try his best , we declined his offer cos we had the same experience last year so we went to the tourist counter and booked our own tickets no problem , we booked 2nd class AC sleepers , but chose the 7.00am train for the following day i couldnt bring myself to travel overnight cos of the roaches i've seen a programme on tv where they were all over the carriage floor at night ugh

anyway tickets booked we set off for a bit of sight seeing we walked to the gate way of india it was difficult crossing the roads they were really busy we decided to get near a local and just go when they went thankfully we made it in one piece
we seemed to be the only white people there and we were as much of an attraction as the actual gate way we sat down for a rest , and indians sat as close as they could so they could take photos and we would be in the picture my o/h put his arm round one guy and said dont be shy come closer he was really pleased and took loads of photos

we spent the second night at leopolds again the atmosphere and food was so great they serve beer at the table in a tall tube like thing with a tap on it held up to approx 6 pints and you just pour your own i will post a photo of it .

next day we arrived at the station at 6.30am , which by the way is a beautiful building and is on a lot of tourists list of things to see its modelled on a british station and takes you back to the times of the raj , porters offerred to carry our cases to our train and load us on we accepted this service cos they were heavy and we did'nt want to end up in calcutta they were well worth a few rupees ,

as soon as we were seated we were offerred tea or coffee for 2/3 rupees by two men who walked up and down the train all through the journey

while the train was on the platform we sat drinking our coffee watching the railway workers and amazingly the people who actually live litterally on the tracks people were asleep on the platform and between the tracks and were waking up to start their day we noticed a few men walking down the track a short way with old paint tins or small buckets my o/h said he thought they were going to catch frogs ( why ? ) but as the train pulled away we passed those men all squating in a row having a poo in full view of all the train passengers :oops:

we were very well looked after on the train we could order breakfast and lunch and had a constant stream of vendors selling samosas , cold drinks chocolate even magazines
we ordered a veg talli for lunch , curry rice pickles and chapati it was delicious , better service than british rail
we could get on and off the train to stretch our legs at each station or sit at the door while the train was moving not that i'd want to but theres no health and safety rules apart from no smoking on the train or the platforms so the way round that is to have a smoke while the trains in motion out of the window of the door between carriages

as it was just after the monsoon and due to damage on the lines the train travelled quite slowly so instead of it being a 12 hour journey it took 14 hours and it was getting darker by the hour i suddenly thought oh my god i hope the roaches dont come out before we reach goa but i was unlucky as the night drew in the little beasts started to appear from the cracks and crevices i was just starting to get a bit worried when thankfully we arrived at Margoa station . we got our cases off the train and as we crossed the platform there were loads of roaches jumping off the floor trying to fly i was glad to find our friend who was meeting us to drive us to Agonda

hope iv not bored you again i will let you know how we got on in Agonda next if im not going on too much anita :D
Have you checked to see if your hotels are featured HERE

If not we can add it for you ;)

Kath HT Admin
thanks kath will check and if not will do a report :D
Great Anita, cant wait for the next part :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.