Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Baltics report
8 Posts
nice report.

im thinking of going to kauna in lithuania in october. would you recomend a visit to the country? i will go for 3 1/2 days and take train trips around the country to see different places.
hi roofer32

yes, our visit to Lithuania was only brief and couldn't have been more than 30-40 km over the border but I will go there for a proper visit one day. Prices were cheap, service was good and the people we met were friendly.

Sorry I can't offer you any info on Kaunas especially as I enjoyed reading your report on Riga before we visited there, though I have read that it is quite a lively place with a large student population.

I hope you enjoy your trip, and hope that you'll post a report when you return
no worries. glad you liked my report. always try to be honest. i'll look forward to lithuania.
Hi everybody,

Nice report, Rofer32. You know it really made me to consider, that it would be great to visit this country this summer.
I already been to Lithuania twice and you know it made a really big impression on me, and I can assure you that you'll have a great time there. If talking about Kaunas I can say that it is a nice city but I would recommend you to visit the western side of Lithuania too (The Curonian Spit), cause as the natives says, it's the only desert in the whole Europe.
On my second visit to Lithuania I have been there with my co-workers. And we were visiting Palanga (this resort is located on the shore of the Baltic Sea). But this place is more suitable for party lovers, cause personally for me it was to noisy, but some of my friends really enjoyed there.
So its hard to give you any recommendations without knowing what you want to see and to do there, but I hope this will help you :D
Have a nice trip :D
By the way, in the topic "Lithuania" I have posted the address of the site there you can find some useful articles about Lithuania. Actually I have studied this site for a little more and found some useful information about holidays in Lithuania so maybe it will be useful for you too: http://www.teamholday.co.uk

Have fun :D
Both Riga and Vilnius feature in the 'In your pocket' guides which appear on the net in a condensed form.

I had a wonderful time in both Lithuania and Latvia in summer 2003 and definitely would invite you to visit:

Lithuania

The Curonian Spit - accessible from Klaipeda
Palanga
Kaunas for a city feel
Vilnius
Sualiai - the Hill of Crosses
Trakai and its castle
Stalinworld

Latvia

Riga
The old village museum outside Riga
Jurmula
Salaspils concentration camp (deliberately hard to find, on the road east of Riga!)

You will find the people somewhat reserved - a hangover from the Soviet era, but once you smile, they readily smile back! Do try to keep to local food and drink .... rather than fast food, and remember that you really need to drive with your dipped headlights on even during the day in Latvia.
Axxe wrote:-

Nice report, Rofer32. You know it really made me to consider, that it would be great to visit this country this summer.
I already been to Lithuania twice and you know it made a really big impression on me,

I find this confusing as you are posting from Lithuania :hmmm
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.