Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
Barcelona attack
14 Posts
Oh no - Spain for a lot of people was a place people went because of other areas they did not feel was safe, Egypt, Tunisia etx.

However, it happens everywhere including the UK, so is it to be expected wherever people gather in tuourist areas.

I would be interested to hear people's views...
It's a sad thing when attacks are to be expected. One eye witness said it's something you just see in the news and not something you ever think will happen to you. But I think a lot of us have probably worried that it will happen to us. I know that I changed my holiday a few years ago as I had a bad feeling.

Police have now said they have arrested two people.
My emotions are running high atm. :bawl

Envío mis condolencias y desean una recuperación rápida a los heridos.

Enviando amor de inglaterra

Sanji x
  • Edited by Sanji 2017-08-17 20:00:01
A spokesperson for BA said: “Customers due to travel to or from Barcelona in the coming days are being offered a range of options if they wish to bring forward or postpone their journey, and we encourage anyone with concerns about their booking to contact us or their travel agent to discuss their travel plans.”
"I would be interested to hear people's views"
You wouldn't have welcomed my view yesterday.

"However, it happens everywhere including the UK, so is it to be expected wherever people gather in tuourist areas."

Just like that idiot (Khan) in London, who says it's part and parcel of living in a city.... As if we have to accept it.?

Beautiful Barcelona... Say what you want about places like Madrid, Seville or Valencia etc, Barcelona is the epicentre of Spain for tourists..... And now (as in other places) pickpockets, beggars and groups of North African men hanging around.

When we stayed in Salou we used to walk to Cambrils....a sleepy place so far removed from Salou. I remember there was just one Thomson hotel situated about half way and literally on the beach.
Of course I'm going back quite a few years and we missed the bomb that ETA planted in Reus airport by a few days.

It won't stop me from going to Spain, I'm off there next month and my holidays are already booked for next year.
The Catalan extremists who welcome immigrants and want tourists to go home, they might just get what they wish now.....and with it more unemployment and a growing cesspit of extremists.
But hey ho, not to worry, as long as they get independence.!

Yes, I do think that tourists have reached saturation point in some places. Cruise ships and All Inclusive add nothing to the local economy.... Properties being illegally sub let to tourists and price hikes forcing out the natives, has to be addressed, so I can see their point, to a point.

On Thursday the Spanish coast guards rescued 600 immigrants from the Mediterranean Sea in ONE DAY, the majority of which were fit looking young men. The Catalan politicians will welcome them to boost the vote for independence.... I seem to remember someone else doing something similar in my country to garner votes to try and win an election.

I could say a lot more, I really could. I'm just glad that I have lived in happier times and my childhood was an experience that children of today, and I fear the future, will never experience.

I'll finish by saying that Spain could do with resurrecting the Catholic Queen Isabella and Ferdinand.....that will tell you what I think.  :wink:

..... And Franco, he'd have had it sorted within a month.

Sanji x
  • Edited by Sanji 2017-08-18 23:30:55
    Typo errors
What has happened to the 7 year old boy? I don't understand how he can go missing?
The police have put out a statement saying that they weren't and have not been looking for a missing child and everybody involved in the terrorist attack has been accounted for. (words to that effect)
The father has arrived in Barcelona and was taken to the forensic building where the morgue is situated.

The mother is in no fit state to attend the morgue, so the statement from the police is to quell the media speculation of the little lads whereabouts, until the father arrived.

I wish with all my heart that I'm wrong, but I fear we will hear some more sad news later.

Sanji x
Now confirmed :bawl
R I P 💔

Sanji x
The poor child. Seeing the smiley photo of him somehow makes it worse.
So so sad.💔

Barstewards.
This is an interesting read....well worth the time spent reading the article.

Several failures pointed out.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/10887/barcelona-attack

Sanji x
  • Edited by Sanji 2017-08-25 15:46:49
Quite damning report.
Bollards should have been obvious after other atrocities. I spoke to someone who had just returned from Barcelona the day before it happened.
She said that while strolling down Las Ramblas she remarked to her OH how easy it would be to cause carnage.
Bollards would be the obvious choice, however it's worth remembering that they will also restrict the emergency services, ie; fire brigade, ambulances, paramedics and the police getting to where they might be needed in a hurry.
I suppose in terms of bollards, the collapsible ones might be the only solution with the police and the emergency services having a key, but it's still poses the problem of the increase in time arriving at the scene.

I saw a photo today.... I had to give my head a wobble..... Flower pots against vans?

https://spainnews.today/spainnews-en.php?id=1257

Sanji x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.