Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Be Warned
55 Posts
Margerat thanks for the tip :wink:
Oh yes they searched our cases too - well, xrayed them anyway. They weren't interested in our hand luggage though, which is where all the ciggies were!
Its about time the authorities caught onto this, when i flew back last month first choice were selling boxes of 1000 cigs, not once did they mention that the legal limit is only 200 per adult.
presumably it will just be the fake stuff that looks new with tags/in packets etc ? we bought gameboy games and t-shirts for the kids but threw away all packaging and labels when we packed to return home, so nothing looked recently bought. :)
as emso said just ditch all the labels and packaging,means you can get more in your case as well.
if you take all the stuff you buy out of the wrapping and take any price tags off they can not confiscate it ,it is only if they think you are taking it home to sell ,every piece of luggage is x rayed in turkey even before you enter the airport ,and when you go through the departure gates , the limit for cigs is 200 per person so they must get seen on the x ray , they are not stupid ,after all you are breaking the law by trying to take more through ,as usal it is the greedy spoiling it for the rest of us
What time did you flight land Margaret?
@bp1 these checks stem from the manchester end.
We got into Manchester at 7.45am.
brave inca , nearly three years ago my daughter was married in cyprus , while there i bought a replica flintlock pistol ,when we were leaving i heard my name being called over the airport tannoy when i responded i was told it was because of the gun being picked up on the x ray ,after a lot of rig marroll they decided it was ok as it was only a replica and was in my luggage going into the hold , on arrival at glasgow airport my luggage was the last too come through by at least fifteen minutes ,when i retrieved my cases and headed towards nothing to declare i was surrounded by customs officers headed up by a stupid young girl of about twenty ,they searched my cases from top to bottom ,pulling my stuff from my cases including my kilt which was all then piled back into my case like a bagwash ,and i was informed that it was illegal to import even replica firearms into the uk, as if you could hold anybody up with a flintlock pistol ,like long john silver , do you know why i was stopped , because the cypriot customs contacted the glasgow customs and told them what was in my case after telling me it was ok. as i said in my last post they are not stupid and because of the e x ray they know exacltly what isin your luggage ,the days of smuggling a few extra packs of fags are coming to an end
Be warned that you may get caught out if you bring back gifts/booze/cigarettes in excess of the legal limits!!

Don't forget to look both ways when you cross the road or you may get hit by a car!

Stating the obvious I think...........
yo taxman your user name must be about right :wink: :wink: :wink:
Bluepeterno1

I'm not on HM Revenue & Customs payroll but do come across the results of people being a little greedy when it come to duty free etc. I say why risk it?

Your own example is very unfortunate (and I believe over the top) but these days exchange of information is commonplace wherever you travel. The authorities are just as likely to be targetting drugs/money or other contraband and we should applaud them for that.

Enjoy your holiday along with the cheap drink and cigarettes in your resort but don't risk bringing back more than permitted.
It's a bit luck of the draw in fact, I know people who travel the world over and have never been pulled up by C & E, and they bring loads back with them.
i never do , i dont smoke and drink very little , i was just pointing out to those people who do bring more than what they are alowed into the country how futile it is ,if you read all the previous posts you will see what i mean
We don't normally have a problem with this as when we land back at Norwich there is nobody at Customs so you just walk straight through.
This is the first time I've ever been stopped at customs in Manchester. Usually there is nobody there at all, but they are watching behind closed doors! I know this because I was coming through last year and a chap was walking beside me. Just about to go through customs and nobody there as usual, suddenly 3 came out from nowhere to search this guy who was walking beside me.

If it looks like there is nobody there, they will still be watching you on camera from somewhere!
as i have already said thy contact each other if the x ray machines oick up anything dodgy
I wouldn't of thought airports contact each over a few extra packet of cigs, but i could see why they would over guns :roll: . Customs for which i do they do, randomly watch people getting off planes, gettting there luggage etc. They watch for people who have bought excess cigarettes either on the plane or duty free before departue who are carrying them as hand luggage and put them into their suit cases before they go through customs in the uk.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.