General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I have had a few of the 'won a holiday' calls but my favourite is someone calling up to ask if I would like a free conservatory. I reply that there is nothing I would like more and let them go through their sales pitch. When they eventually ask when they can come to measure up, I say anytime' but bring your ladders because it's an upstairs flat.
I am ex-directory and registered with the TPC hoping to avoid these calls.
:rofl at helen... classic!

my mate had a call a few days ago to say she had won a 2 week holiday in mexico, she got all excited because she is forever entering competitions etc, until they asked for her bank details, she soon told them where to go, but its sad to think that there are some vulnerable people around that would have willingly given all their bank details! :(
defo a :rofl for helen, can imagine the errr colourful language at the other end when you ask if its aproblem fitting for a first floor flat :D
i was feeling left out, as i never seem to get anyone telling me i won anything, but on saturday that was put right.
i got my call from the americans, pre-recorded, but unfortunately we got cut off before i could get all the details :cry
never mind, even although i'm registered with TPC, i'm sure i'll get another chance of a lifetime soon.
I'm sure you will. We'd all hate for you to be excluded from these wonderful opportunities. :rofl
Aaaaahhhhhh, that plummy English voiced upper crust ships captain telling you you have won a cruise prize. Naturally I slam the phone down but I can't help a sneaking nosiness about how the next bit goes - perhaps press number 3 to get full detail and then WHAM, a £50 telephone call!!!!! Unfortunately while the Telephone Preference service does block some of this cr.., they have no control whatsoever over companies based overseas or EVEN UK based companies who chose not to subscribe to Telephone Preference or Mail Preference services!!!

Their evil ploys must work though because I am still winning cruises from the same captain at least a year down the line!!!!! Someone must be falling for it!
Had one of these calls a couple of days ago. Pre-recorded female American voice. I hanged up by the time it got to the third word - which were "Congratulations, you've won". I don't think so.
I once got the CONGRATS phone call telling me id won the spanish lottery and if id give my bank details they would send my winnings into my account. Cant say on here what i told them to do with my winnings, but the sun wont see the money again if they do what i advised them to do with it
We entered a 'draw' at Alicante airport on our way home this year, an english lady just took a couple of details from us for the "Costa Blanca Holiday Survey " today I have received a call from a company called "Club la Costa Resorts and Hotels" saying that I had not won the first prize AI luxury holiday but had won a 7 night luxury SC break including flights for 4 people. I have to go Birmingham to collect and obviously they will try to sell me something, but I'm sure I can manage a couple of hours worth of spiel from a sales person if I get a holiday in return! Has anyone else dealt with this company or been through this process? is it worth it?!?
A company was mentioned in the last post, and it would be highly libellous if I were to post what other people who had come into contact with them had said. STEER CLEAR.
I always ask for the credentials of anyone who approaches me for a survey, either at my door, on the street or wherever. Nine times out of 10, it is not market research but companies who wish to sell something, generally using dubious methods for dubious goods or services!!!! I naturally decline to take part!!! Having said that, I have also been approached by people who are genuinely doing market research!!!

The latest wheeze which absolutely makes me see red are the people who come round the door, showing credentials from apparently established household name bonafide charities (anyone with some graphic skills and a laminating machine could reproduce any of them!). I say they appear to be bonafide but who can tell? They usually tell you that you can call 'this number' for confirmation that they say who they are. I decline to do that (how could I prove who is on the end of the line!) and I ABSOLUTELY decline to give them my bank details so that they can set up a standing order!!!!!! If I were to assume that these collection agencies were actually contracted by the Charities to collect on their behalf, on a 'paid' basis, why oh why do they imagine I would give my bank details to someone totally unknown to me who appears on my doorstep!!!!!

I have decided that when the next one appears I am going to get every single piece of evidence I can and then approach the charities commission to see if they are genuine!!!! Well at least I will tell them that anyway ;)

Sorry to go off topic on this 'off topic' thread!!!!!!!
I had one earlier today. Started off with a ship's foghorn, then telling me I'd won a cruise, pre recorded of course. Do people still fall for this sort of stuff.
Has anyone else dealt with this company or been through this process? is it worth it?!?

Hi Dawn,

Have sent you a PM as they don't like us talking about anything timeshare related on HT. :zip
I discovered a new one this morning. The postman brought a 'recorded delivery' letter from Seasons Holidays. I didn't recognise the sender but it said I'd won an Internet Prize Draw (which I often enter so not suspicious at that stage). I had won a prize to the value of £3750 and have to phone a freephone number (yippee :hyper ) and was invited to Sandown Park Racecourse with my partner. It may have been the words 'Membership Secretary' at the bottom of the letter which set alarm bells ringing but I googled the company and, guess what, timeshare, with a nice little report from the Money Saving Expert below!
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=436007
That dishy sounding ship's captain is still calling me!Three times in three weeks! I am just so so lucky, that nice American lady has told me I have won an all inclusive hotel stay in Mexico as well. She called me twice just to make sure I got the message I think! Oh I am going to be so busy!!!!! :rofl
But Magsy, I always knew you were a very popular lady, and you must admit you enjoy cruising. One day I must stop and listen to what these lovely people have to say, as at the moment I just hang up after the first couple of words and I may be missing the opportunity of a lifetime. :rofl I'm actually glad I was in when the postman came yesterday though, as I'd have been spitting feathers if I'd had to go to the post office to collect my 'recorded delivery' letter from the timeshare company. :duh
But Aslemma, he never calls me by name!!!!! I wish!!!! Holding on to see what happens wouldn't enlighten you any further. El Capitano asks you to press 1 and when you don't it just goes dead so I don't think just setting the phone down somewhere so that they can rack up a bill works for this one although I might just try it one of these days when I know I don't need to use the phone!!! Serve them right if it cost them a fortune!!! I haven't come accross this recorded delivery one yet and like you, I would be fizzing if I actually went to the Post Office to pick it up! We at least know that that one costs them a minimum of £1.20!!!!

Now to open another can of worms. Are there many of you out there who object to 0871, 0870, 0845 etc etc numbers? May I suggest you all have a look at http://www.saynoto0870.co.uk/ site and please add normal geographical telephone numbers if you have them. Practically every organisation is now using these overpriced numbers and I do so object if I have to pay up to 10p(or up to £1 for 09 numbers) a minute to phone customer service for an article I have bought which has gone wrong!!! What is really bugging me now is that Local Government departments are now using them too, including the Health Service!!!! Fat lot of good having free calls from your phone provider when the number you have to call is an 0845 number at a so called local rate.
:offtop

Please keep to the subject in question.

Thanks

Kath Admin
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.