General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Bl**dy bank!
11 Posts
I totally understand your frustration..I have had a rant on facebook today about something very similar.....
I too know exactly where you are coming from .... and the culprit in the past has been HSBC ....
Am really disappointed with the Nationwide :( We've been with them for years. It's our main account, we have our mortgage with them & house insurance etc. By introducing this new charge on cards whilst abroad I feel they've really let their customers down. I, among many I'm sure, were always pleased with our lot compared to other 'banks' etc. Not anymore though we're all singing from the same hymn sheet. Even the 'holiday insurance' isn't all it's cracked up to be. :(
I agree Glynis, I was a very satisfied Nationwide customer until this introduction of fees whilst using card abroad. At least I consoled myself with not needing to pay for European holiday insurance anymore until I read your comment

Even the 'holiday insurance' isn't all it's cracked up to be.

can you elaborate on what the downfalls are please? I had a good read of the policy on line and have to say I couldn't spot any flaws eventhough I thought I looked hard.
Thanks
Hi Shirley

We have a Nationwide account as well. As far as I can see the insurance has no scheduled airline failure cover, no independant traveller cover and no option to remove the excess - unless I've not looked hard enough. Three things that I always have.
Thanks for the reply Sunaddict.

no independant traveller cover

What is this exactly? I assumed the insurance covered you whether you have booked a package or put it together yourself. I do know that you're not always covered for supplier failure.

I'm interested in people's views on the Nationwide free insurance because if it's not up to much, I need to renew my annual policy which has just expired.
Hi
You will be covered for cancellation for medical reasons etc. but for example - volcanic ash, fco advisory, airline failure etc - Non package holidays - flight gets cancelled but you are still responsible for your accomodation, car parking, car hire, transfers etc. Without independant traveller cover you cannot claim the cost of these back.
It's useless for us as I have pre-existing medical conditions and we often holiday out of Europe. I'll be sending them a letter of complaint when I get a spare moment!
I complained a few weks back, got a courtousy call then nothing!
Thanks for the info. I'll have another read to see if it meets our needs.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.