Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
One litre of spirits and 200 cigarettes is the limit from the Canaries.

I would check the price of perfume/aftershave here before you go as I've yet to find it cheaper abroad than the likes of Superdrug or Semi Chem.

luci :wave
2 x 1 litre bottles of spirits on the plane is £18.
Don't know if you smoke but you can only bring back 200 cigs each (400 costs £32ish on the plane)
You could purchase these on the way out to Lanzarote - smoke and drink them and then re-stock on the return flight.
As for perfume, I would advise you to buy it back in the UK as it is usually cheaper in Superdrug, Asda Debs etc.
Just seen your contibution Luci - seems like we agree!
No, we're not smokers, and woulnd't be bringing back for anyone.

So is the plane the best place to buy the vodka? £18 not a bad price at all for 2 x 1 litre bottles.

Will leave the perfume if it's not much of a bargain.

Thanks
And don't forget that any bottles of spirits etc that you do buy on the island will have to be packed in your hold luggage for your return journey - you can't go through security with them in your hand luggage!!!
Perfumes used to be cheaper than at home but in the last couple of years I have not found any fragrance bargains on the Canary Islands - it's all cheaper in Superdrug/Boots etc :wink:
Tobacco/Cigarettes are cheap but you're only allowed to bring home 200 cigs per adult.
As madsue said, any spirits you buy will have to packed in your suitcase for coming home (and will add to your hold luggage weight) as you're not allowed liquids above 100ml in your hand luggage unless you've bought them at the airport on your way home after security - there are often some good special offers at the airport duty-free, but these offers vary by brand through the year and you can't guarantee it will be Smirnoff on offer when you go. The offer on the flight sounds good but it might be sold out on your way home, and you buy it on your way out it will still have to be packed in your suitcase to come home :roll:
Personally, I don't bother anymore, there are always offers on spirits in Asda/Tesco etc and and it's not worth the bother of getting it all the way home.
Hi Magfo, when we were in PB in july we did buy some purfume , it was in the street behind the main promenade in the town , it was a big shop with 40, 50 and 60 % off splashed all over the windows! they had a massive range , but, there are no prices displayed , but the staff are desperate to sell , they negotiated a price, my wife did buy a couple and they were a lot cheaper than gatwick duty free and she said cheaper than tescos where she would normally buy, i know the big chemists in the uk are now really cheap but it might be worth looking depending on the brand you want. Something to do in town while walking off a nice meal! i agree with what others have said and i think the "cheapness" is no longer there as it used to be probably due to more competition in the uk and weak euro exchange.
I thought the duty free at the airport on the way home was not a lot cheaper for spirits than the uk in supermarkets , i usually buy some whisky for my dad but didn't bother as when uk supermarkets have offers its only about £2 more for a litre bottle. i agree with what CSK says.
I agree that £18 for 2x1lt smirnoff is a good offer. as pointed out if you see a good offer in resort its got be worthwhile as it will become part of your hold luggage, unless you get to drink it all :cheers before you go home.
I can't remember what the prices were in the supermarkets in PB but alcohol is very cheap.
Thanks for those replies. It's given me some things to think about. First thing, only buy the vodka on the resort if we have spare weight in our luggage! And if we don't, then buy it at airport. If it's only a few pounds cheaper then not worth the hassle, but if I can get a deal like £18 for 2l vodka, then I will grab it.

Will look round at the perfumes and work out the cost. Will check the prices of what I want before we go from Boots etc, just to make sure it is a bargain. If not, i'll not bother.

Thanks to everyone.
magfo. I don't think the airport is cheaper. The prices I quoted - £18 for 2 x 1 litre bottles were on the plane so no need to buy and carry bottles around the airport on your return!
Yeh that was sort of what I meant. I'll be able to check the prices on the way out and then compare in PB and at the airport and just see what the best option is going to be.

Thanks
Just got back and on our flight (TC) and certain spirits were on offer at £20 for 2. I like Spanish brandy and that was cheaper in the airport in Arrecife than in resort. Couldn't find any perfume bargains better than you can get here. My friend wanted some Chanel Chance and thought the price was expensive in resort. She checked with BHX airport duty free and they were about £15 cheaper.
i very much doubt that anything would be cheaper at the airport or on the plane compared to using the asian exchange shops in pdc
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.