America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Pros: They are cheaper in the US than the UK.

Cons: None that I am aware of, though legally you may be required to declare it when you return to the UK (I forget what the limit is and, of course, whether you choose to declare it is up to you).

I suspect that the likes of Wal-Mart will be cheaper than the Apple store, but probably not significantly.
I slipped up in December by doing my sums wrong and thought that there wasn't much difference from the UK price but when I re calculated at home I realised I could have bought a 30 or was it 40 gig Ipod for £113

John
Hi bought Ipods in Apple at F/Mall in October (x2) for my son & Daughter and they are a lot cheaper than Uk.
Everything you need is in box and you give them your email address and they email you a receipt from them so that if you have any probs back home you can sort it in the Uk. Which also helps with till receipt for declaration point of view.
You do get a till one also.
Regards Liz.
John: It would have been a 30GB iPod. They don't make 40GB versions. They come in both 30GB and 80GB. I believe the 80GB version is a little over $300 (I actually have one but I didn't but it, I was given it, and the price may have come down in the last couple of months).
my nephew has a psp player can he buy games in orlando that will work on his psp, he is taking it with him on hols will they let him try games out to make sure they are compatible, also my daughter wants to buy a playstation 3 but i not sure if we buy over there that it will work back here is it even worthwhile looking at electrical goods in the u.s. thanks 3 days to go yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
PSP - I don't know about the compatibility. Stores like Target or Wal-Mart are unlikely to let you test a game before buying it. However, actual video game stores should be more accomodating, e.g. EB Games, Gamestop, Game Rush (inside Blockbuster) or Game Crazy (inside Hollywood Video).

PS3 - I believe Sony do not force region locking on game developers. However, it is left to the developer's discretion so some games may be region locked (e.g. a game bought in the UK won't work on a US system). Note that you can import US games, though, which has many benefits including cost and the fact that many games are released months earlier here than in the UK. You used to be able to buy US releases through Amazon. I don't know if Amazon still do that but there are plenty of sites out there that do. Obviously can buy a bunch of US games while over here but I'm thinking of the future. Personally, I wouldn't buy a PS3 at all...vastly over rated and over priced in my opinion with very few excellent games available for it.

Of course, you would need to purchase a UK/US electrical adapter when you return to the UK also.
thanks grayce for your reply i also think they are overrated will let my daughter see reply so she knows i am not just being mean with my money and systems and games may not be compatible. 2 more days to go :D
my son bought games for his psp in orlando and hasnt had any problems with them
Hi, we bought a psp and games last October in Wal-Mart, the games will work on psp's from the UK, however, if you buy games over in Orlando, you may not be able to do an exchange at the game's shops in the UK. We also bought a Nintendo DS and the games also work in that from the UK.

Hope this helps
To clarify....

DS games fully compatible

PSP games fully compatible

PSP Films are region locked, so avoid. Likewise if you buy a U.S PSP it will play U.K games but not Films.

PS2/XBOX/PS3 Not compatible

XBOX 360 games little more complicated, some are region locked some not.

Hope that of some help.
I brough back a philips 30gb mp3 player and a portable multiregional dvd player.

All my electirical equipment works fine no problems.

As a poster said. Walmart would be the cheapest for an IPOD.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.