Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Hi Marie I have been to both. Cala Galdana and Cala D'Or

Went to Cala Galdana first. I love Menorca and Cala Galdana is a very pretty resort. More compact than Cala D'Or.

It has a beautiful beach (sunbeds expensive) and is very clean. There is a limited amount of shops and bars, certainly not as many as Cala D'Or but CD is much bigger.

The shops/bars tend to centre around the little square and there certainly isn't enough to keep you going night after night, visiting different ones.

There are 3 main hotels. The Sol Gavilanes, Cala Galdana and the Audax. All 3 are nice hotels. Yours is over the bridge from the other 2 and the square. The Hotel Cala Galdana probably has the best type of entertainment (between the Cala Galdana and Audax, we didn't visit your hotel of an evening due to it being over the bridge :lol: ) as the Cala Galdana's entertainment is outside and tended to have more of an atmosphere. In saying this it certainly isn't far for you to walk over to the other hotels and the square.

Within, and around the square there are a few shops and bars - not a great load, certainly not as many as Cala D'Or.

Cala Galdana is one of the prettiest resort in Menorca. Car hire is recommended just so you can get out and about the small island of Menorca. Driving is easy and very safe.

If you are happy with a beach/hotel based holiday (if you don't hire a car) within a quiet, safe and clean resort then Cala Galdana will be fine. However, if you want to poke around different shops and bars of and evening then after a few nights of going around the same shops/bars you may get bored of them.

Any more questions just ask Marie :wave
Cheers Glynis,
Still can't make our minds up :roll:
At the moment its a toss up between this or Barcelo Feurteventura which they say is also fairly quite....but think a little more lively than Galdana. :?:

Anyone have any thoughts on this :?:
Hi Marie
I've been to both islands and really there's no comparison between the two. In my opinion Menorca is way ahead of Fuerteventura in terms of it's beauty and places to go for days out. Can't comment on the resort you're asking about as I've not been there. All I can say is that I'd never go back to Fuerteventura,it was ok but nothing special,I would however return to Menorca again and again,I loved it there!!
Marie I'll give KathHT Admin a shout as she has been to Fuert and Menorca. :wave
I like both the resorts.

The Sol Gavilanes looks a lovely hotel and I would have thought it was well suited to families.

The Barcelo Fuerteventura is one of my favourite hotels. I have been there for the last three years in winter and had a lovely time. The food, hotel and location was excellent. Caleta is a low key resort, but nice to walk around. However, if you want a lot going on then this isn't the resort for you.

If you have any specific questions about the Barcelo Fuerteventura, then fire away.

HTH

Kath HT Admin
Thanks for the replies.........still can't choose :roll:
Kath has Caleta got more or less shops to walk round than Galdana?
Which one would you choose resort wise??
Marie, I would say that Caleta probably has the edge, but that said it doesn't have that many shops.

On one precinct there is a chemist, supermarket, shoe/leather shop, a couple of sports shops, car hire shop, travel agents, jewellers and some restaurants/bars. Oh yes, there is a subway sandwich shop on there as well.

After that a few shops are scattered around the resort., however, there are no major shopping areas.

HTH

Kath HT Admin
I am taking my son to Cala Galdana in September when he will be 13 months old.

Has anyone been there with similar aged infants ? If so can you give me any words of advise.

Do the supermarkets sell jarred food that he will eat ??

Thanks
Hi There,

Have visited Cala Galdana but not stayed there. It is a very beautiful resort which boasts one of the best beaches on the Menorca island. We first went to Menorca when our little boy was of a similar age, however I took some jars of food and also his ready brek for breakfast, but to be honest the hotel we stayed in at Son Bou were fabulous with the food for him. We would take from the buffet pasta, tomatoes, cucumber, ham, chips etc basically most things he ate at home and we'd just cut it up for him. The majority of the supermarkets sell jars but they are expensive and you cannot always get the ones you want.

We also took an extra pack of nappies just in case, but found we could have bought them out there but again you pay that small bit extra.

Maybe take a small additional holdall and pack it with the things you know that he likes to eat. Better be safe than sorry. You'll love Menorca, it is great. Since our 1st visit in 1999 we have returned every year.
Enjoy!
Hello there
We go to Cala Galdana each year and have done for the past four years. This year we will holiday with our best friends and theire two little girls who are four and just two.

The beach is great for tinies even if hes on his feet as its quite flat and very shallow. There are lots of shady areas or buy an umbrella as they are a lot cheaper than hiring one. We will be taking a little hut, you can buy them from Argos and they are colourfull, collapsable play houses that fold away into a bag thats very light to carry. As toddlers get very tired in the afternoon they are great for them to sleep in and store your things out of the sand. I think they are about £15 or so. I would also suggest buying a small paddling pool if he is not on his feet and fill it with toys and water - kept my little one occupied for ages!! :oops: :P

If you hire a car, the nearest supermarket where you dont get ripped off too much is in Ferreres, well signposted. I think its a Spar but worth the drive as baby food is very expensive in. If you dont hire a car there is a supermarket under the Sol Hotel next to the beach.

If you go into the centre in the evening and head for the square that is behind the Hotel Cala Galdana there is a great show on early evening for the children and is very safe for them to toddle about. The entertainers have them singing and dancing so its great. We will be there 1st July so we cant wait.

I would suggest hiring a car as Menorca is so very easy to dive around as there is one road through and everything is off that road and signposted very well.

If you are going in July onwards its quite hot so dont forget the factor 50 for the baba!!

Have a great holiday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.