Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Cala n Bosch is a nicer resort, and the hotel is right next to the beach, but would you consider going s/c? there are loads of great restaurants in cala n bosch and wheres the fun in staying aound the hotel all day cos you have to be there for meals? ha ha

I can highly recommend the garden hotels chain, you can view their properties at http://www.gardenhotels.com

(flora garden apartments - First choice, tin its in their budget range but shouldnt be!)

(Park and lago garden apatments - JMC and Cosmos)

(Marinda garden apartments - Cosmos, not sure if theyre with JMC)

In many of the apartments complexes (definitely in all of the above) you can upgrade on arrival to half board and the food in the hotels i have recommended is great.

Whatever you choose have a great time! Menorca is a lovely place! (we've been 8 times now!!)

Caroline & Kirsten :wave
Hi

We stayed at the hotel Cala'n'Bosch in June and we have already booked to go back next June. The hotel's not fantastic but the rooms were cleaned daily, the food was great and even after a fortnight the only bits that were repetitive were the desserts.

Found being based in the hotel (with a 2 year old) was great and we made some great friends and everyone talked to each other all the time.

Last year we stayed in Cala'n'Forcat (Talayots) and it has more bouncy castles and trampolines and playstations for the kids but the resort itself isn't much to look at unlike Cala'n'Bosch, where there is a lovely atmosphere around the marina and the beach is 100% better. Staying at Hotel C'n'B there is a path from the pool straight onto the beach. Some people either left their belongings by the pool or stayed close enough to the hotel where they could keep coming back to the pool bar for drinks. Also the bus stop is literally right outside the hotel.

If you book don't expect the ritz, but a standard hotel that is in need of redecorating but plenty of friendly people, good food and clean.

Hope this helps.
Thanks chalky. I have booked the cala n bosch for aug. Cant wait! Are there many shops around the hotel Dont need many but went to ibiza san miguel and there were £. Very quiet resor. Any additional info would be appreciated . Is the beach 10 mins away with watersports any good? 8)
Hi Dee

We only ever walked along to the other beach but people did say that the water sports were good.

There isn't loads of shops but enough and you also have the option of getting the bus into Cuitadella. It only takes about 15 minutes and runs every 10 minutes.

If you have children with you the goody goody park is great. They have a pool and water slides that you can use free of charge (they like you to buy their drinks) and trampolines and bouncy castles etc where there is a charge. We found going there about 6pm it wasn't as busy and then we would go into dinner late.

One thing about the hotel the safe for 2 weeks is 44 euros plus 10 euros deposit.

The restaurant and bar don't open until 8am but if there are early morning pick ups the restaurant is open for cereals but the coffee machine is also switched then and you can go in and use it. I would recommend buying a parasol as it is hard to get beds under the hotel ones and then some people thought they weren't very good.

I would definately do the full tour on the train at the start of your holiday, it will take you past the second beach and also up round some other shops and pubs. You can get on this outside the hotel but if you go on a night it can be full as it picks up at the marina before coming round to the hotel.

If there is anything else you would like to know just ask.

Regards
Chalky
chalky you may be sorry you said that as i may come up with lots more questions!how long does the train ride last? How long is the transfer to the hotel as some review vary on the time. When I say shops I mean gift shops etc as I have a fifteen male shop a holic. Are all the shops around the marina or are there more. I am sure I will think of more questions but thats it for now. Thanks a lot :D
Ask away - it's not a problem.

The main shops are around the arena but there tends to be little ones dotted around. If you do the train ride (about 45 mins) you will get a feel for where they all are. I would definately say go into Cuitadella as there are some lovely shops there and I found that presents I couldn't get in the resort I got in Cuitadella. Also if you want to try eating out there are some lovely restaurants along the harbour there as well and I'm sure the bus runs until about 12midnight.

Our transfer was probably about 1hour 30 but we stopped at Cala'n'Forcat first. Apparently it depends which tour operator you are with for which resorts they drop off at. Its actually quite a nice journey and we did it with a two year old and had no problems.

If you haven't been to the Island before and you drive it may be worth hiring a car. We did it last year when we stayed in Forcat and we covered the whole island in a couple of days. Also as long as you book before 8pm the hotel will provide you with a packed lunch which you pick up at breakfast.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you would like answering
Thanks for the info. What is it like driving in menorca. In majorca and cyprus it chaos? Did you go to the water park/ How far away from the marina is it? Bit worried about the reviews regarding double bookings especially with only going for one week. Was this an issue for anyone when you were there.
The water park is well within walking distace of the marina - unless your lazy like me! we were literally 3 minutes walk away but i still drove!

driving in menorca is pretty easy going, there is one main road tat goes from one end of he island to the other (basically mahon to cala n bosch) with smaller roads to he resorts turning off of it. very very easy to find your way round!

the only yime you may have problems is in the towns of cuitadella or mahon, where there are some one way systems in place but onc yu kow where youre going it will be a doddle!!

Have fun!

Caroline & Kirsten :wave
Hi Dee

There were some people who were put into the apartments, my parents moved across after being given one of the small and not so pleasant rooms, don't accept a B room. We have actually requested our room we had in June for next year. 503. There was myself, my husband and our son. This room is on the top floor but has fantastic views of the pool and beach and further afield.

Regards the apartments there is no air conditioning but who do get given a fan and only have to pay the deposit. You can't take drinks from the hotel over to the apartments but you do gain a fridge, kettle, microwave and hot plates. The studio my parents were in was very pleasant and had a much bigger balcony than ours.

Some people were more than happy to be in the apartments as they felt you had the best of both worlds whereas others wanted to be in the hotel.

Also the pool area at the apartments isn't as busy as the hotel but obviously you need to go across to the hotel for drinks.

If you do get put into the apartments try refusing, or keep pestering your rep until you are sorted.

Also about the driving my husband would never drive abroad but he found Menorca quite easy to drive in. The main road you take from the airport is the road that you keep going back to, to get to the various resorts. If we had hired a car this year I was going to drive but we decided as we had been everywhere last year not to bother and just got the bus to Cuitadella.
just back ,had the best holiday ever so quiet and relaxing.stayed at the sol falco fantastic.great marina lots of nice places to dine with that menorcan charm all around.cant wait till next year.
Hi john im going in Aug 06 cant wait. are there any other shopping areas or bars other than around the marina?
no not really there are a few on the main drag, all the way to the marina.
but its a great place.

choc.
i am taking my friends to Cala n bosch for there 1st hoilday could anyone tell of best places to go ?? thankyou all :fly
we stayed in the princessa playa, and it was fantastic, the food, the staff, and the animacion team were excellent. always kept you busy. especially the competitive ones. archery, shooting, basketball, volleyball, swimming pool volleyball, and coits. darts. so much fun.
what is the best way to get from the airport to cala n bosch do not want to hire a car or which resort is nearest the airport. looking for october.
hi we are goin to calan bosch in august has any one stayed here? what is it like?
Cala en Bosch. Will be our 7th year running in Cala en Bosch at end of June. Love the place. Ideal for couples with young children and older couples. Not a great deal to do for young people. About 80 restaurants round the marina and if you need to go a little further afield. Cuitadella is on the bus route and the buses run every 30 minues and it takes 13 minutes to get there. This is well worth the visit. Walk along the boardwalk at Cuitadella harbour and go to the Yacht Club to see the ferries coming in and turning round on a sixpence. Watch the heat when you get off the bus though, it just hits you.
I go to cala n bosch hotel in Aug. Bit worried about how many shops there are. Any one any info. Got a son of 14 and hoping it wont be too quiet. Went to san miguel last year and there were 3 shops. we had a great time but a couple more wouldnt of gone a miss. Are there many excursions to oher areas and are there any markets within driving range
Dee, there are a couple of shops around the marina but i do think your best bet would be to catch the bus into Cuitadella. We tend to go every other night, but remember to purchase your return ticket from the kiosk. We usually get ours as soon as we get off the bus.
Linsi
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.