Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
If memory serves me correctly (was last there in 2008 and don't smoke!) there is a tobacconist in Cala'n Bosch - I'm sure I recall one at the rear of the marina by Topmarket.

With regards Cala Galdana, we were last there in 2009 and returning this year, so obviously don't really know what it used to be like in the 90's. Are you sure the apartments you saw when getting to the Chinese were the Galdana Gardens? As I recall the Chinese restaurant was at the Barranc end of the resort. Galdana Gardens are at the other end next to the Audax Hotel and were very much open last year and still are as far as I am aware - hope so as we are going again next month! Could it be the Cala Galdana Playa apartments your thinking of? I know Direct Holidays used to use them but haven't done for several years.
Re: Galdana Gardens are at the other end next to the Audax Hotel and were very much open last year and still are as far as I am aware - hope so as we are going again next month! Could it be the Cala Galdana Playa apartments your thinking of?

You are spot on Nic - it's the Cala Galdana Playa that now appears to be unoccupied.

The Galdana Gardens are really nice - with some great views if you get an apartment facing outwards to the beach. The air conditioning was particularly good BUT the complex did have the usual problem of insufficient sunbeds and Brits putting their towels out at 6am! Obviously, staying at the gardens also overcomes the problem of struggling uphill at night - espcially when you've eaten and drank too much! By the way, if you find a signed, framed photo of the Real Madrid team left in one of the rooms, then let me know. My Son left it there and wasn't happy when the coach driver wouldn't turn around and go back for it!

Just to add that the aforementioned accomadation in my post (CG Playa Apts, Annabels 1&2 and the Bona Vista) were buzzing just a few years ago - not only as far back as the 90's.

Anyway, thanks for your advice re: cig outlets. ;)
Hi CanveyIslander...thanks for clarifying. We went to the Gardens last time we went to Galdana, and you are right about the sunbed situation, but have found the same thing wherever we have stayed. It's a shame about the apartments you mention being deserted...from what I have read it appears the resort is quieter than it used to be, but I think it's the same in many of the resorts around the island. I am just hoping that all our favourite restaurants are still open when we go as we had some lovely meals out in the evenings.

Sorry, can't help you with any info on the Sol Falco, but we've stayed in Cala'n bosch twice and like it and you're right in saying it has a little more going on. Our last visit there was 2008, having previously been in June 2003 and we noticed how much quieter the resort was despite it being August so peak season. We expected restaurants to have queues waiting for tables like we'd experienced on our first visit but it wasn't the case at all. That said though it still had a nice buzz around the marina in the evenings, still fairly laid back though.

Have a great holiday and would love to know how you get on when you're back :cheers
Hi there......this is not really on the topic of Cala Galdana, more about deserted apartments in Menorca -
back in 1995, hub, I and our 2 sons stayed at some apartments near Es Castell, called Sol del Este. It was a gorgeous complex, designed like a little village with whitewashed apartments and little paths, flowerbeds with plants running riot, banana trees, and 2 pool areas, not to mention a bar and a little shop. It even had a tower! It was within walking distance of Es Castell and we loved it. (it was with Airtours in those days). However in future years it had disappeared from any brochures that we could find - and later, even the web.

In 2005 our son worked in Menorca for the summer season. We holidayed at the hotel he was working at, and one day he drove us to Sol del Este, and it was indeed closed down. Now this was before the credit crunch had begun.

We think that Menorca is a beautiful island, and surely not everybody wants noisy resorts? Maybe it struggles because there are fewer flights, especially from local airports?
Anyway the point I was trying to make is that obviously properties on Menorca do get mothballed for whatever reason. :que
The fact that such beautiful apartments (not solely in Cala Galdana it appears) are being closed down and rotting away is an absolute tragedy.

Surely, it would be better to sell these off cheaply, or lease them at peppercorn rents, rather than just let entire complexes decay?

I may not have the money to have a 6 bedroom villa with an Olympic sized swimming pool built BUT I may be tempted to splash the cash on a small apartment in Cala Galdana if push came to shove - if the price was right. Where better for a little place to retire to?

I just can't see the logic of mothballing such decent accommodation - it certainly can't help the local business community who, in a Country such as Menorca, must be pretty desperate given the general decline in tourism over recent years.
Just to join in the general conversation really.

We stayed in Cala Galdana last summer, albeit in the height of the season in a private villa.

It seemed quite busy to us, the Galdana gardens were definately open. We went into the Audax on a couple of evenings to have a cocktail and listen to their live entertainment it was always difficult to get somewhere to sit and it was busy and buzzing. The same at the Cala Galdana Hotel and that has a much larger outdoor seating area but was packed.

I think a lot of the Med has an oversupply of cheapish SC accommodation and it's unrealistic to expect it to be 100% full, even in the peak. Since places like the Baleriacs originaly became holiday destinations other places have taken off like Turkey, Egypt, Bulgaria etc all competeing for the same limited tourist market. Plus there is a recession, so people who might have been lucky enough to have 2 holidays a year might now only get one, or even none. :(

All the sunbeds were taken on CG beach during the day, loads of pedaloes out on the water and most restaurants, ice cream parlours were doing a good trade. We wouldn't have liked it any busier as its not that large a resort. Beautiful though. This was late July early August, not sure what it would be like in June or September, maybe too quite for us as we like a bit of atmosphere of an evening.

Hope you ahave a good time in Cala n Bosch, probably better there for a 20 year old with a bit more of a lively vibe.

Doe :sun2
Hi, i've just arrived back today from Cala Galdana, it was our 1st visit to Menorca , and i would go again. As doepsmc stated about last summer , we found the same situation on our visit. We stayed at the Audax and we were really impressed , its a really good couples hotel (will write review asap) .The bar was full and busy nearly every night, and the Cala Galdana hotel was packed when we walked past and stopped to listen to a Jackson tribute act.
Canvey islander, we had to get the bus to Ferrieres to buy cigarettes! there is a vending machine in the pizzeria like a ship next to the waterslide. He has to press a remote for each packet! although the rep told us that someone now had a tobacco licence in C.G. from the beginning of July. Also they are cheaper in resort than in the airport .
Just written a review on this fabulous Hotel in the review section if anyone is interested.

Now Luci has kindly approved it (see her message below) this link should take you to it.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/

Please excuse the odd typo - I didn't read through it before submitting (e.g. the chefs make home-made SOUPS.......not SOAPS) ! :duh
There is a low on holidays full stop, so many resorts will be quieter. Dont forget some accommodation focused on Spanish visitors and they are having a hard time economically and tended to be july ad august so such places would not be very active.

I knew sol del este before and after 'sunrise village'(the actual name of the place refered to above in Es Castell ) . It was unlikey to have succeeded IMO and did'nt and negavtively affects that area too in it's current state.
Re: There is a low on holidays full stop, so many resorts will be quieter. Dont forget some accommodation focused on Spanish visitors and they are having a hard time economically

With all due respect islandboy, people in the UK aren't exactly sitting at home counting out their spare piles of cash either! ;)
Sure, I said that did'nt I(holidays at a low) ?-however compared to Spain we are 'okay' and the point being more that such accomm., is only ocupied in July/August the traditional holiday periods :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.