Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Candolim
18 Posts
yes have to agree with you john that particular end of the beach is certainly looking very sad these days ... and yes, the beaches in the south are very beautiful, i love them
chilly
Yes Candolim used to be a really nice chilled out beach area, fond memories. Now it seems better for shopping. Sad that all the erosion has destroyed some of the beach area.
There must be something about Candolim, that attracts the large numbers of British visitors. The beach is by no means the most beautiful, in Goa. So it could be the restaurants and social life, that people find attractive. This variety is not to be found in such abundance in the south.
I prefer the south, but did have my best ever New Years Eve, on Candolim beach.

ps - Of course the HT meets could also be a big attraction :cheers , and a good reason for another trip ;)

xx lassi
We are at the opposite far end of Candolim Beach and is much better,the only thing that looks a mess down
this end is all the piles of palm leaves,coconut mating and poles for building of the new shacks when they eventualy
start .There are huge piles of them just laying there,Could see no litter there on monday ,and the they have started clearing the pathways down to the beach.Although after these cyclon winds of today im sure there will be litter blown about again.
There was no errosion of this part of Candolim that i could see.The further you walk towards Siqerium end,the worst it gets.
Just lines of sunbeds and no shacks :tup
jcbrum
Come down south and see the difference.

That'll keep me amused for 2 days - what am I going to do for the other 28 days of my holiday? :think
We are going to Candolim - sinquirem end on Dec 27th. I am really gutted to see the comments about the state of the beache in that area, we went to the same place 2 years ago and had the best holiday ever, really liked this area of the beach. Has anyone got any thoughts on whther it may get cleaned up? Is it really that bad ?
Best bet for it being cleared up is sometime after 2020 at the current rate of progress.

Anywhere on the beach from where the River Princess is towards Candolim is fine, the real problems are towards Sinquerim.

I am with you Max. The beaches in the south are great, but what do you do for the rest of the time. As for Palolem I think it is nearly as bad as Baga.
Went down to the beach at the bottom of holiday street,Calangute today,just to take a look for someone see if any shacks are up....which they are not and no sign of anybody making a start on building them.
What a disgusting mess....this was the part of the beach i went to years ago when i came to Goa.
To say it's changed is an understatement,there is rubbish and dog poo everywhere...i took about 10 steps on the beach and turned back......thats the last time i will be going there and i live 2 mins walk from the beach.
Spaldy,

It is possible that once the bad weather has cleared up and the shack building gets underway things will get cleaner.The shack owners generally make sure their part of the beach is kept clean.

I think being Goa there will always be dog poo etc until someone newters the entire population(dogs that is).

When I told someone in England that we were sat in the shack at sunset having a drink and a cow walked in front of us and deposited a huge pat they looked quite suprised.When I continued the story by telling them a dog then came up and proceeded to eat it they were horrified.

One mans waste etc etc.

Goa, have to experience it to believe it.Why we all go back.

Papa
Spaldy,you can't tell some people they think the BCC belt beach area is wonderful.

As i said we went to Candolim the other day and the beach was a disgrace,i've travelled all over the world and it's got to be one of the worst i've ever seen.It reminded me of Cleethorpes on a cold winters day.

We spoke to a couple last week down in Utordra,who were in goa for the first time and staying in Candolim.They seriously hated it,but loved the beaches in the south.

Before people say it's too quiet,maybe you haven't got the choice of Bars,restaurants etc, but at least it's bloody clean and also the quality of food is a lot better and despite rumours to the contrary cheaper as well.If you are on a 2 week holiday how many restaurants would you use maybe 6/7 tops.Also the Bars stay open later,we rarely leave before 2/3 a.m and the music is still going.

John
Also the Bars stay open later,we rarely leave before 2/3 a.m and the music is still going.

Definitely don't want to stay down south if that's true. :yikes
I'll just head down there for the occasional day trip - I like peace and quiet at night.
when the shacks are up in Candolim (away from the Princess) the beach is always clean - it is a credit to the shack owners. Well ours cleans it every morning, rakes the beach from the shack back and front to the sea shore and collects the rubbish in the day.
although most of the customers put their rubbish in the bin provided.
Spaldy,you can't tell some people they think the BCC belt beach area is wonderful.

I can appreciate the fact that there are more beautiful and quieter beachers than the BCC area, but I happen to love that area.

I don't need anyone to tell me it has it's faults I can see them, (maybe I don't see them at their worst just after monsoon when there's no shacks and therefore no-one to clear their own little area) but because I like the place when I go I choose to accept whatever faults are present at that time.

The point I'm trying to make without provoking an argument is that just because your opinion of the BCC area differs from a lot of people on here doesn't make us wrong.

Maybe we don't want to be told anything we're old enough to make up our own minds.
Max....

I like peace and quiet at night.

Plenty of that around Benaulim, Varca. Couldn't find a bar open past 11.30 at a push this time last year. Found it hotter (more exposed) down there.

Don't know what Cavellosim is like now (last there 8 years ago) probably a bit like Candolim now.

Beaches are better/really clean down South... Although Candolim is/was probably a lot cleaner than Calangute, Baga.

Very dissapointed with the state of erosion last year in Sinquerim.
There are nice stretches of beach at Candolim, straight ahead of Silver Sands and turn right, there are wide expanses of beach, the problem is all the beach beds are crammed along the sea front - I dont understand why they can't be spread out a little more.
We now stay down Sinquerim end, we prefer it there. As long as the Calamari is up and running, I will be happy, lovely clean sunbeds, free fresh towels every day, excellent food - can still look out to sea or people watch. Can't wait :sun2
At least its not all bad - I was reallt worried about it. I am sure we will have a great time regardless and hopefully some of the beach will get cleared up before our visit december
I agree with Dave's Wife. We regularly walk the length of the beach from Calangute to Candolim where the ship is and there are some lovely quiet stretches of beach on the way down. And we do eat in a different restaurant nearly every night of our 21 day holiday so do like lots of restaurants to choose from. Although this year we have decided to eat at The Carvery on meet up nights after having a lovely meal there last year as we found it much easier than trying to bolt our food down somewhere else and get to the meet up. So long as we are all happy that's all that matters.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.