Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
hi Phil and welcome to HT.
Cape Town and the surrounding area is a beautiful place.
Are you saying that the ceremony is at sunset? If so then a flight or a whale watching cruise would not any good as it is fully dark by about 7.30pm. Both would be great ideas if you were able to make an earlier start.
Something really romantic for during the day- a picnic in Kirstenbosch gardens. They are really stunning. Picnics can be ordered from the Gardens.
Now - if you plenty of money to splash out on your wedding night, book a night at the Cape Heritage hotel or if you have a spare £500 look at the famous Mount Nelson hotel :D
Hi Fiona,

Thanks for the reply, I really like your picnic suggestion and may do that earlier on, in the day. or maybe the day before. I will make sure to work that into our itinerary.
I'm a little surprised to hear it will be dark by 7-8pm, was hoping that it may still be bright.
Because it's just the two of us, we were hoping to do some kind of tour / activity to celebrate the big day. However I do understand that our choices are limited if it's dark.

Hope to hear some other suggestions from people on the form.

phil
I'm a little surprised to hear it will be dark by 7-8pm, was hoping that it may still be bright.

On November 10th this year sunset will be at 19.23 - see link below

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=56&month=11&year=2009&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

As Cape Town is south of the equator this is their spring but because they are so much closer to the equator than us you don't get the longer twilight that we are used to. Their shortest day is still 10 hrs long between sunrise and sunset and their longest day is still only 14hrs long. The same figures for Edinburgh are less than 9hrs and 18 hrs in other words our longest day is twice the length of of our shortest day up here in Scotland!

One of the consequences of this is that complete darkness follows pretty closely after sunset in South Africa so, yes, you can expect it to be quite dark by 8.00pm in Cape Town. Long late spring and summer evenings just don't exist that close to the equator. And on the equator itself sunset is almost like someone switching the lights off - darkness falls almost immediately the sun sinks below the horizon.

SM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I know my options are really limited, does anyone know of any night time tours activities that would be done in November ?.

Thanks again for all the feedback it's really appreciated.

Phil
have to say that we picked up loads of tour pamphlets when we were there but didn't see anything for night tours. Best option really is to plan for something either earlier on the day or the following day. A tour of the winelands with lunch or dinner at one of the more famous estates would be nice- you can get this just for the two of the you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.