Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Hi Liz

Sorry to read about your experience in CV.

Whilst we were there in Sal last September I had a health problem which required me to go to the hospital in Santa Maria ( which I do not recommend as it is very primitive and makes our hospital's cleaning standards look exemplary ). The CapeVerdeExperience rep organised transport and a colleague to go with us ( who stayed with us for around 5 hours at the hospital ) and made herself available 24 hours a day via her mobile phone. They even paid for the taxi !

I have already posted on another thread that in our opinion they provided by far the best service of any tour operator that we have ever used ( and there have been many ). I am not one for writing to companies to praise good service but on this occasion it was so exceptional that I did.

It just demonstrates how variable different folks experiences can be !

I hope you have recovered from your trauma and are looking forward to your next holiday.

Dick
Hi guys,

I'm toying with the idea of going cape Verde but I cant decide over dominican republic.

I would be going to the Santa Maria area and am a big foodie. My concern is about the quality of cuisine as well as things to occupie us for a fornight. One of us is a Vegi, would this be a problem? Is there a big difference in the quality of the service compared to the Carrabean and is crime a problem when out and about in Santa Maria? I hear theres good bars and restaurents out there.

I look forward to your replies.
We are off to the island of Sal on Tuesday, will post a review when we get back. :sun2
I did try to post a full review but according to the mods there is a problem with the anti spam programme, will try again when the get it sorted. In the meantime no Sal is not an island for foodies, food limited to the hotel you are at really. No problems with crime that we were told of anyway.
Hi Lou

We are really sorry about the problems with the review site. Several mods have tried dummy reviews and they have been accepted no problem so we don't know what's causing it. It may be the time it takes between starting the review and finishing it, but we're not certain.

All I can suggest is that you type the review in Word or similar and try to post it again. Let me know if that works.

luci :wave
O.K. Luci I'll give that a go after I've watched the Grand Prix this afternoon...I'm sure I should be doing other domestic type chores BUT it is the last day of my holidays after all :cheers
Hi :wave . We are going to the riu garopa in sept :hols Could anyone tell us the best currency to take with us.Also is tipping expected in the hotel. :cheers Thanks, Nige&nic
I'm going out on Monday (staying at the Riu Funana), and we're taking mostly Euros and US Dollars. Apparently a lot of the places will give you the Cape Verdean currency as change, which you are not allowed to take out of the country - or so I'm told. As for the hotel, it is All Inclusive so I assume that tipping isn't expected, and is generally included in the AI price.
Hi Can anyone tell me about Cape Verde please?
We normally go to Tenerife in Feb/March, but want somewhere different, but still warm enough to get a tan.
What's the temperature like, what's the food like? is it good for kids (14&10)?

Much appreciated,

Julian
I have merged your post with an existing topic which should have some information.

The Search facility should also return some results.

luci :wave
Hello everyone.

Have just returned fron a fortnights holiday at the rui funana, the hotel, staff and food were all great but suffered badly with mosquito/fly bites, would recommend taking good insect repellant.
off to sal in two weeks time . hoping to have a great time as its our sliver wedding. would we be ok taking english money as well as euros as that was what we were thinking. can u use a debt card in duty free? what is the allowence for cigs etc?
euros were accepted everywhere we went including taxis and bars but did not see anyone using sterling , cigarette allowance is only 200 and i would advise buying on the plane going out (running short on return) if you dont want marlborough as thats all i seen over there. :sun2
Is it still only Thomson group doing package holidays to the islands?
Haven't found much info. Will the weather be good in September?
I see there are two islands being used by Thomson, if you fly into Sal, how do you transfer to the other one?
Is it purely a hotel based holiday, or are there bars and restaurants around?
hi
were booked for Riu Funana cape verde in April 09 can any one tell me if its ok to take duty free also if this can be bought on plane we are looking at taking champagne if we can as we have a birthday there. or does to hotels sell this

Also visa's on line info would be a help - any idea of the weather at that time any info would be great
thanks
Am just back from the Funana and can confirm the hotel is very good (typical Riu).

The all inclusive deal includes the local beer (Strella) a typical "Euro" lager and perfectly drinkable with most spirits being named brand as they are no local alternatives IE Whisky was Johnny Walker Red label. They will have champagne but not sure if included in the all inclusive. You could email them to find out details (Google for RIU web site).

The rainy season in Cape Verde is August to October but this year was the first decent rain for 7 years so you should be safe in April! The islands are quite windy - just a gentle breeze when we were there but strong in Feb/March which is peak windsurfing time.

The island itself is a rock/sand desert with absolutely nothing to see or do that doesn't revolve around watersports. Having gone for a week of total relaxation in good weather with nice food/drink this ticked all the right boxes but if you are looking for good trips, culture etc you will be sadly disappointed in Sal (can't speak for the other islands).

There are restaurants and bars in Santa Maria but beware hawkers in the day and don't get persuaded to visit the local market - you won't get out without buying some awful local tat!

Any questions let me know.
Hi forum
off to cape verde in march and wondered if anyone can answer the following
1.are there lots of mosquitoes? (they love me and hubby)
2.what language do they speak on the island
3.is it worth hiring a car
4.visa - have filled the on line form but still worry about not getting a visa at the other end
5.also do you need a special travel adpator for cape v
any tips very welcome
Mosquitoes weren't a problem when we went in November but if you are worried I would certainly take precautions.

Car hire IMHO would be a waste of time as there is not much to see and what there is can easily be accomplished with excursions. If you do get one you need a 4x4 as there are very few roads worthy of the name - most are dirt tracks.

The language is either a local dialect or Portuguese but fortunately most people in the tourist area speak excellent English.

Don't worry about a visa - if you have used the Thomson site and had an acknowledgement it will be waiting on your arrival.

Regarding the electric the usual 2 pin continental adaptor will suffice.

It is an interesting chill out type of holiday - don't expect sightseeing or culture!
Thanks for advice. Don't think we will hire a car. We are staying at the Riu Garopa so hoping to have a good long rest.
many thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.