Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Cape Verde- Q&As
120 Posts
we were considering Cape Verde for a trip next year.
My travel agent is there at the moment on a fact finding mission and on a phone call back to her office has said that she would not recommend the islands to her clients it is 3rd world and they need to improve a lot before they get any more tourism (and this comoing from someone who enjoys india and goa )

Think we will give it a miss for 12 months
Have just booked Rui Funana for Easter 2008, prices have gone up £60 from last weekend so someone must be booking. Have resigned myself to staying in resort for the week though.
we went to gambia many years ago and that is third world so we are looking forward to going to sal in november even if it is third world surely this is part of the experience of going to these places before they are touristised just back from natal brazil this is also a little bit away from the tourist idea but a great place and great holiday and pleased to have been before it gets spoiled by tourists the people were just brill
I have been told that the runway on Sal is too small to allow Airbus or Boeing passenger planes to take off fully laden (passengers and fuel) Therefor it has to take off with limited fuel and fly to the Gambia for refueling which means the UK return flight is over 10 hours.

Can anyone confirm this?
Are you sure about the 10 hour flight time ?
:shock:
12noon,

It all depends on what airplane is being used.
The runway looks a reasonable size on Google Earth.There are some good pictures of the hotels in the south of the island.Unfortunately theres not much else.I really wanted to visit here until I saw the images on Google Earth.
The runway is fine it's just the crew change time and or the type of aircraft that fly there. If they use a 767 then there is a chance that the flight back will be direct. Astraeus fly back via The Gambia hence a ten hour return flight!
hope this is the right forum for this destination , has anybody been here whats it like ?got a good write up in the sun travel pages
Hi toondoug

I have merged your post with an existing topic. You may find some useful information in earlier posts.

luci :wave
Just got thompsons brochure which do cape verde from gatwick and manchester. Also I believe portland holidays do the same. Both fly direct in less than 6 hours
AnnTrev'

Does the brochure mention what plane they will be using?
737, 757,767
and state 5 3/4 hours.
We were going to book Riu Funana for two weeks in August. Are we mad too? :?
m&n Sorry, no it doesnt say which plane to be used, but flight times say just short of 6 hours
I have been informed that only a 767 can make the return journey direct?
Hi,we have just returned from Sal.The island is very barren just now a bit like Lanzarote/Fuerteventura,but still make for a relaxing break.
The beach has lovely golden sand and the water is lovely and clear and warm even at this time of year.There are plenty of restaurants and a number of bars including 2 Irish ones.If you like water sports then there are plenty on offer,if not then just chill and go with the flow :wink:
Cheers Mark
Hi All,

Which hotel did you stay in Mark?

I have just discovered these islands in Thomsons brochure and they do look lovely. The only hotel review on here is back from 2005 :?

Millie :)
I watched a programme on BBC4 last night and it showed travel company bosses deciding which new destinations to feature for this year.When one of them mentioned Cape Verde one who had been said maybe in a few years time.When asked what it was like she said"the moon".Is it similar to Lanzarote?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.