Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I wouldn't hire a car. Some of the roads aren't great and some drivers can be erratic.

Far better to book a few trips in Hisaronu. Shop around and barter when you decide where you'd like to go. They're good value and nearly always include meals in the price.

I would recommend the jeep safari. It's great fun, lasts all day and you get to see lots of places inc a lovely beach. They stop at several places along the way and if there's anywhere that you'd like to re-visit and spend more time at (I would definitely recommend Saklikent Gorge for one) then you can get there cheaply using the local buses (dolmus).

If you get a dolmus from Hisaronu to the terminus in Fethiye, you will find that you can get a dolmus from there to almost anywhere. English speaking chaps are usually stood around shouting out the names of places that they go to and they will help you with details. It's a no-frills service but it's far cheaper and safer than hiring a car and driving yourself.

I would also recommend the islands boat cruise. Last year this was available for the amazing price of £5 each and it's a lovely day out and includes lunch. Lots of shops offer various boat cruises so shop around but the 7 island cruise is excellent.

There are lots of shops in Hisaronu touting for business for all sorts of activities and day trips. Pick up a few brochures as you walk up and down the high street and then take them back to your hotel where you can leisurely compare prices and choose when and where you'd like to go.

Have fun!
Hi Denyse,

I think the roads in Turkey are very good to drive on - unless you go off the beaten track and attempt to drive up a mountain! :shock: The main roads are very smooth, particularly the motorways, and there's usually very little traffic.

I've done a lot of driving in Turkey, and have never had a problem. The only roads you need to steer clear of are the very narrow mountainside roads. There's one close to Hisaronu (the Oludeniz to Faralya road) which is very, very frightening. It clings to the mountain edge and has sharp elbow bends; not for the fainthearted! :shock:

Having said that, Faralya is well worth a visit (not far from Hisaronu) and has views to die for!

Yorkshire Boy is right in that you can find very cheap bus trips from Fethiye, but the beauty of a hire car gives you much more choice and freedom.

It's very easy, and a lovely drive, to visit Kalkan, Patara, or Gocek from the Fethiye region. You can also find some incredibly beautiful, secluded bays not far from Hisaronu.

There's lots of car hire company's in Hisaronu, but you'd be better off hiring a car from Fethiye town: it will be cheaper.

Strawberry
trust me there is not a problem with the roads they are fine,
hamish mcturk is good for car hire but there are plenty in hisaronu but dont just go for the cheapest make sure all the insurances are correct
saklikent, tlos, yakapark is a good day out about 1 hours drive or patara beach, kalkan also there iare numurous other placesto go
just to drive to calis or fethiye you will see lots you dont normally see
there is also the aqua park in calis there is also one in ovacik at the grand ucel hotel which is great for the kids
for more information check out my web site on the links there is loads of info to the area
Thank you so much for your replies. Think we will do a mixture of car hire and boat trip. Fortunately my hubby doesn't mind driving abroad and is quite confident. Are most places accessible via one main road/motorway ? The information you have all posted is very helpful. Thank you for your time.
Denyse
its very easy once you have driven to fethiye when you are at the main centruim traffic lights its all sign posted for dalaman gocek or antalya and kalkan kas etc but do buy a road map from a petrol garage and hire a car with dual fuel as petrol is dearer than here so the answer is autogas or lpg to us
I have hired a jeep in Hisaronu a few times and driven to Patara Beach, Xanthos, Tlos, Saklikent Gorge, with no problems at all, the roads were quiet once out of Fethiye. We also went to Gemiler Beach and Gocek and into the mountains behind but drove for hours without seeing another car or getting anywhere, in fact we eventually had to turn round as we had only seen one farm and were worried about running out of petrol as we didn't actually know where the next petrol station would be. It makes you wonder who builds these roads (and sometimes how!) and why when there is nothing there but wilderness.
We enjoyed an afternoon at Cadianda (ruined Lycian hilltop city), no one else there, just the bloke at the car park who sells the tickets. Tombs, temple, an impressive stadium and ampitheatre all overgrown but fascinating and with amazing views over Fethiye and the sea.
We also went to Faralya but to be honest, the dolmus would be cheaper and gives the driver chance to look around at the views as well.
Although I enjoy driving abroad, what with the cost of petrol and car hire, and options of dolmus or cheap trips such as the jeep safari which go to lots of these places, I really think it is probably better to let someone else take the drivers seat and enjoy the scenery.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.