General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Our retail park has free parking :que Haven't seen anything about restricted parking?
Why have you received a fine, were you supposed to pay ?

95 pounds seems a bit steep for a parking ticket :really
That's what I would've thought too Glynis. I mean you could EASILY spend whole day there especially if you had children with you....shoppping....lunch....go for a swim...or/and go to cinema. LOADS of restaurants and coffee shops so you could even stay for meal in evening if you wanted too!

I found this http://www.freeport-braintree.com/customer-services BUT they can whistle IF I do receive a fine and they expect me to pay £95...even a speeding ticket isn't that much! :duh
Sorry Wendywu....we all met up there seperately in our own cars....at midday...and all left about same time in the evening...approx 6.30...so as one of the three of us has received a 'fine'..the betting is high that we ALL will receive fine in the post as we were all parked in same car park.
we have a retail in Aberdeen which also hit folks with fines. Not sure how it was resolved. They were all shopping in the centre.
When i googled G24 parking fines there were lots of threads. People were saying its civil matter and they cannot enforce it so dont pay.

Someone on here will know the correct legal position.
;) I found another link in Martins Money Saving Expert from another person who had received the same fine and contacted the Braintree Freeport Retail Park. They said if she could produce a receipt of £10 for something that she bought there that day they would waive the fee!

My receipts for that day have gone in the bin :rofl ,,but I do believe the waitress in Aroma (a chinese buffet where we had lunch ) would remember us :rofl
especially if you give her the £10 tip you forgot to give on the day ;) :D
:rofl having spent three hours there lunchtime...I went back in again to get a takeaway for husband :rofl They shut from 3 until 5 and when she saw me again she started laughing and saying 'you're banned..you can't come in' :whoops then started telling her work colleagues that we'd been in there for three hours eating earlier LOL!
Maybe one of your friends may have a spare receipt for that day :tup
It's not enforceable so don't pay it. It has no legal standing.
I've noticed that a LOT of out of town carparks now have signs up;my local Tesco has a sign saying that parking is only free for 3 hours!!! Also Motorway service areas.
Definately not enforceable so don't pay it and whatever you do don't engage in any correspondence/ phone calls with them or they will harass you endlessly.

I see you have found the threads on MSE about these. The only people who really have legal rights to issue parking tickets are Local Authorities who run pay and displays and metered car parking zones.

Private company's who issue tickets in places like Tesco have no legal standing, as private companies cannot issue such fines.
;) Yes thanks Doe.

Our friend contacted Freeport (not the parking company) yesterday and after a 'stern ticking off' :duh was told to email them copy of her receipt of purchases that day! JUST like the thread I posted above from MSE.

I reckon between the three of us, with food, coffees, purchases we MUST'VE spent close to £200 that day at the Retail Park.

Waiting for my 'penalty' to drop through the door ...bring it on Freeport - both barrels at the ready!
Thing is HOW many people get frightened and cough up this amount? I know our friend was ready to do so :yikes

:( shucks...postie just been and no fine :rofl
I think loads of people just pay up :( as they think they have the same validity and status in law as a bona fide ticket issued by a Local Council.
;) oh yes...scare tactics.

:rofl UNFORTUNATELY....neither me nor my other friend have received a letter with 'fine' yet!!

Ooooo Freeport would be in for mouthful ..maybe they knew that and why we didn't get one!! Strange because friend who DID get the letter was parked RIGHT BESIDE my other friend who hasn't received one...and was there at least 20minutes longer than her too!! :duh
No matter the legality of the "fine" which is a misuse of the word what do the signs say? If they state 2 hours parking and you stayed 6 - no matter how much you spent then you are in the wrong. Private car parks cannot issue fines but they can quite legally charge you for overstaying the time allowed. If they had a clamping policy then providing they operated it in accordance with the regulations you would be trying to get the charges refunded.

fwh
No they have NO legality in the letter at all FWH. Check out some of the links to MSE.

Appears you can stay SIX hours BUT if you can prove you've been shopping then it's waived.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3435341

http://forums.pepipoo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t65653.html

Just a few ..there's HUNDREDS on the internet saying they cannot do this.

There was also a case I found where a father disputed the fine because his son went bowling..then to the cinema and went over the 6 hour 'said' time limit. It was thrown out and apology given.

;) ;) quite happy for you to stay all day as long as you PROVE that you've been spending money at their outlet! Plus...how do you account for 'random' said 'fine'? Surely the car NEXT to the car which got the fine should have received one too in that case - as they arrived exactly same time. Only thing different was the car that GOT the fine left BEFORE the other car! :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.