Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Fines ????
13 Posts
I got pulled a few years ago on the bridge going into Arpora, 'fined' me 800 rps. Ever since I've travelled with a IDL, and never been stopped. I heard that a few policemen were done recently just before Christmas for extorting money, and that seems to have stopped them pulling as many over (for now!)
I believe that they often remove their identity badges, which is an offence. A load were under invetigation for doing this at a state border checkpoint. You could always ask them where their badge is, if it is not visible.
I got fined twice with in 3 days in Panjim. I hired a bike off friends, went over on the ferry and headed towards Miramar and got stopped twice. I carried my International Driving Permit both times but still got fined for not having the yellow and black plates that denote you have hired the bike from a registered company. None of the police will take you to the police station as they are only interested in you paying them a back hander. The first time they had Rps100 and the second Rps200. Just make sure you say you have no money and just offer Rps100-200 and they will be happy. Its not worth taking them on even if you have the right documents and you want to prove a point...Not much fun spending 3 or 4 hours at a police station. ;)
so far ive never been pulled!!on a bike anyway!!!!and i was on a friends bike no yellow plate ,,noggo whats the price for an enfiel..ive normally just had a 125
100 rps no papers, 800 for no licence, unless you want to argue!! I would!! 100 should be sufficient for anything!! they havent been as active this year we usually get stopped half a dozen times in the car going to Palolem but havent once this year ...yet!!!!! :tup
chilly
we have just got back,one thing we did notice,there were more indians wearing crash helmets than F Ns, we even had one english guy taking the mick out of us for wearing them.has anyone had a fine for not wearing one on the highway?.
Two friends (a father and son) on separate bikes were pulled near Anjuna a couple of weeks back. They had yellow plates and the papers but didn't have their licences with them. 950 each was demanded, but neither of them had exact money so 1000 each had to be paid.
They were taken off separately and only afterwards did they realise that the father paid 2000 for both of them, while, un-seen by the father, the son had also parted with 1000!
Hi All... There are LOTS of police around recently, just the trip from Mapusa to Panjim you can go by 3 or 4 different sets of police waiting to catch unsuspecting people... It's such a difference when you drive out of the state, I drove for around 7 hours cuple of weeks ago and the last 5 hours of the trip (in Karnataka) I did not see one police man trying to catch drivers... Compaired to the ridiculous number in Goa.

A few simple rules to prevent hassle :

1. Wear a helmet on the highways... (it's always better to wear them everywhere - for safety) but to save hassle wear them on the highways... The police change their position every hour or so, so there is always the chance of getting caught...

2. An international driving licence - easy to get and does save the hassle... It's just a shame that it needs updating each year.

3. When hiring a bike make sure it has (yellow lpates OR it's 'your friends bike', insurance, registration book, and an emissions certificate (if it's over 1 year old)

I think the biggest fine I've ever paid was around 400 and that was for having 3 people and no licence :( - I was only on the highway for half a mile... Oh well... You live and learn...
The other way is to tell them that you're related to a Goan Big wig and that you're going to report him to his superior who will arrange a transfer to Kashmir....
Yes I have seen lots of police poipleshadow but they don't seem to be stopping so many people this season, we have had loads of friends over this season and neither they nor us have been stopped once, even in Mapusa. it might have something to do with the fact that there has been a bit of a clamp down from above (not hard enough I suspect!!) and a few have been reprimanded recently!!! I agree about outer state, same for us and also same in Maharastra we drove there a few times this season and never saw any but then they all want to be in Goa don't they, its top of the list !!! three of you and no licence!!!!! :D that was naughty!!! ;)
In fairness, when I worked there, I had a bike for the first 3 months and then a car. I wasn't stopped once, and I used to go to Panjim, Bogmalo, Palolem, Majorda, all over on my scoot. Most the time I had a helmet on (especially when I had the Enfield).
Even the traffic police on the Zuari bridge never used to stop me whan I was coming or going scuba diving with all my gear laden on the bike.
Unfortunately it depends on which copper is on duty when you pass him.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.