Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
This is the first I've heard of this!
I wonder if it is really needed? We are flying to Valencia and train is only 6 euros.

My only gripe is that it's going to be EJ again. I do wish BA would do direct flights from Gatwick
This has been an ongoing situation for years however it is near to completion as you can see from the photos. I do business with a client who works very close by and ironically his partner works as an estate agent in nearby Oropesa. Rumour has it that Ryanair have, or are about to open a sales office in Oropesa to service this airport. I think this was the excuse they needed to pull out of Valencia and get cheaper landing fees at this new airport which will be in need of the traffic.
Airport is due to be completed in September 2009. We have a holiday home in Alcossebre, so will be very happy when the new airport is at last completed, but can I find which airline is to fly there a big fat no!
I cant' help being a bit disapointed about this. The trip up from Valencia was cheap and easy by train. All this will do is open up this area to even more Brits!
I read in the local paper this week that plans to create a new bird protection zone next to the Castellón airport has raised concerns of increased accidents once the airport is open - whenever that may be !

Like other airports they say they will introduce solutions to remove the hazard - falcons to keep other birds away etc.

Chris
I to have a holiday home in Alcossebre and have spent alot of time trying to find out when the airport is to open. I have emailed the Valencia and Castellon Tourist Boards and both refer you back to the developer via the airport website. Enquiries of them produce no response.

I was recently told that the Mayor of Castellon is booked to open the airport sometime in October 2009.

I have also sort to contact both Ryanair and Easyjet to see if they are planning to fly there and checked up on their new route web pages. Unfortunatly contacting and entering into any form of corresponsdence with both airlines is neigh on impossible. Their are no contact details on their sites that produce a response.

Thinking is that Ryanair will fly in and call it Castellon-Valencia as it is two hours from Reus which is itself two hours from Girona, both of which are their Barcelona airports !

Easyjet fly directly to Barcelona and Valencia so there is doubt that they will add Castellon.

Anyway, it depends on where you are in the UK. If you live in the South and they fly to Castellon from Manchester it's no good.

Watch this space springs to mind.

;)
I understand that Ryanair will be advertising flights to this airport in the next 2 months. The UK airports that will be used isn't yet confirmed.
I have a home in Sant Mateu and have been waiting for this airport to open for four years!!!! As yet I cannot get any info on who will be flying there. They have tested the baggage system by inviting a load of people to it to undertake 'test' runs during July August so I presume they are thinking about opening soon!! (But then this is Spain!)
Original delays were the result of a number of things.... apart from the birds... there were problems with the local Mayors who were not satisfied with the 'slice' they were being given.... as regards Tourist Numbers and Commission apparently this has been agreed now!!!
I have heard that various dignitaries have been 'booked' for sometime in September..... (don;t know which September though!!)
If you have any further news do let me know!!
Thanks Ian
The local press are reporting that the Valencian Government have not included Castellon Airport in the list of airports in the Valencian region to receive special focus to gain new national and international airline routes into the area.

This focus will only go to El Altet (Alicate) and Manises (Valencia).

Castellon airport still planned to open early in 2010 have only signed up Valencian airline Air Nostrum and Romanian low-cost line Blue Air.

I suspect that the likes of Ryanair and maybe Easyjet will still use it - of course only if its costs are low enough, regardless of what airports the Valencian government focus on!

However, Ryanairs recent discussions with the Valencian authorities regarding their continuing use of Manises and of course the local governments 'encouragements' to make this happen may have an impact.
From the Costa Levante News

http://www.costa-news.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3712&Itemid=119
  • Edited by David 2009-09-24 18:09:33
    Post edited for copyright reasons. Weblink inserted to replace quoted text.
Yet another item from the Costa Levante News. Nothing too dramatic in the report and confirming what we would expect to be happening - as ever pretty short of any real detail.

http://www.costa-news.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3841&Itemid=119

Chris
http://www.costa-news.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4046&Itemid=119

another drip feed item regarding the airport.

Odd that it's built, infrastructure ie roads etc in place and having its airport systems being (or been) tested I wonder what another €18.4m of investment in 2010 is for ?

Chris
Saw it from the air yesterday and looks just like any other airport - expect there were no planes !

Chris
http://www.costa-news.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4465&Itemid=119

Introduction of body scanners at the airport - all they need now are some bodies to scan !

Chris
CASTELLON airport could be one of the first installations in Spain to operate without air traffic controllers.

http://www.costa-news.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4509&Itemid=119

Oh for some planes !!

Chris
Hello, Who knows the last important news about Castellon airport? It is ready to receive flights but not open yet. We want to fly in octobre to castellon so it would be great when we can have ticket to LECN.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.