Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Hi, I think I can help. I am going to Las Fuentes in July and I think it is probably the same apartment (accessibleapartments.co.uk). I am not a full time wheelchair user but I know the owner of the apartment is. We will be arriving back on the 19th July and I can answer any questions you have after that date. I think it is a quiet area but Port Aventura is only 1 hour away.
Hi again, I forget to mention there is a great website for the area http://www.alcossebre.net it lists all the restaurants and facilities in the area and serenades you with a guitar while you are reading!
Thanks Jax I look forward to hearing from you in July.
Hav a good trip.
Stocktonmackem
Hi again, sorry I gave you the wrong website address its actually http://www.alcossebre.org/ :oops:
Hi, Just arrived back yesterday evening from a great 2 weeks in Las Fuentes. We flew with Jet2 from Leeds at a bargain price and both flights were the best we have ever had. We decided to fly to Barcelona because it was the cheapest and most convenient. We hired a car at Barcelona airport and drove to Tarragona about an hour away,where we stayed overnight and drove to Las Fuentes in the morning. Coming back we drove straight to the airport (about 2hrs 30m) You can also fly to Valencia or Reus which are nearer.
The apartment is very spacious with everything you need, including wide doors. The en-suite bathroom is a `wet room` with large shower chair, which you can also use to get in the pool which has a level entry and an accessible jacuzzi. The gardens around the 2 pools are beautiful and there is a lifeguard who is there most of the time. There is a front terrace off the living room which faces the sea and a removable ramp is provided to get over the lip of the patio door. There is also a terrace overlooking the garden which you can get to via a gate from the garden.
The resort was very quite for the first week and became busy in the 2nd week when the school holidays started. The beach directly in front of the apartment has a flight of steps but you can get on if you walk a short distance in either direction. There are pedaloes on this beach and evening beach aerobics (for some reason the men find this wonderful visual entertainment, can`t think why!)About 10 mins level walking from the marina is Alcossebre which has a fully accessible beach with jet skis etc. Personally, I was quite happy by the pool. Can`t see the attraction in sand in your toes!
In 2 weeks we ate out every night and didn`t have a bad meal anywhere. There are about 6 restaurants in Las Fuentes and lots more in Alcossebre. Everywhere we went was easily accessible.
We also visited Valencia, which was interesting (in my case for the shops) although a bit of nightmare to get out of in rush hour.
Overall we`re back with some good memories, a nice tan, less euros but more pounds. You won`t meet many Brits and not everyone speaks English so it helps to learn a few words. Let me know if you decide to go and I will tell you which restaurants we liked best and if there is anything else you want to know just ask.
thanks Jax
Glad to had a good time. We have already booked for next August. I
have booked with a lady to stay in her apartment in Alcossebre, so do
you think that was a bit busier than Las fuentes. I am not too bothered
about it being too quiet as long as there are some good restuarants to
visit at night. We will probably be flying into Valencia but as yet we are
a bit undecided. Did you visit many of the surrounding areas and how did
you find the driving. I will be doing most of the driving because my husband will need an accessible vehicle and we have been told that they may be a lot more expensive.
Look forward to hearing any tips you can give.
Cheers
Stocktonmackem
We are off to Alcossebre in October for our first visit and I'm really excited having read your report. I am not disabled although have slight walking problems due to breaking my ankle last November (on holiday)!!

Can you recommend any restaurants in particular??

Our apartment is a ground floor one right beside the beach - booked on Holiday Rentals site.

Any particular hints or tips would be most appreciated.

Pippa
Hi again, Although all the info you read refers to Las Fuentes and Alcossebre being twin resorts I think it is better to look on them as two ends of the same resort. Most people will be seen walking from one end to the other most nights. Alcossebre is the older part and Las Fuentes (on most maps as La Font) is where the new marina has been built. Personally, I think the best restaurants are in the marina area. There are a lot of expensive boats there! Even the best ones are cheaper than England. One tip though, as this resort caters for Spanish people don`t expect vegetables with your main course. The Spanish have vegetables or salad as a starter. It took us a few days to realise this. We asked for chips and got them as a starter. Sometimes you get a vegetable garnish with the main course but it is not much.
The market comes to town on Tuesday evening around the harbour at Las Fuentes. It`s the best place to get your fruit and some wonderful honey which tastes of oranges. Our favourite restaurant is Cordero de Oro, which has a fabulous German chef called Ralph. Most restaurants do a local speciality of pork fillet in a wine sauce with raisins, but he does it best and you must have the crepes cooked at the table with orange and brandy. It is on the hill where the market stands. Our second favourite was L`Illa in the marina. Everywhere does fabulous fish and if you like sole go to J.J. Fontanas next to the Las Fuentes hotel where he bones it out at the table. We also like Villa Susanna just above the outdoor cinema at Alcossebre.
For some reason it is difficult to get fresh milk in this area but there is a little shop in Alcossebre which sells all things English called `Cheers` and they stock it.
The roads are really good there is dual carriageway which runs the length of the coast parralel with the motorway (motorway is a toll road). We made two visits to Peniscola, which is about half an hour up the coast. There is lots of parking on the beach front. The old town is built around a castle, where they filmed `El Cid` but it is extremely steep. We only managed to get halfway up. There are some good restaurants around the bottom of the hill though. we had planned to take the train from Benicarlo to Barcelona but it was impossible because the train back came in on a platform only accessible by steps. I think thats about all I can think of at the moment, except, there is a nice man from Norwich who runs a dress shop in Alcossebre. I bought a lovely dress from him and if you need any advice on anything he is very helpful. Have a great time!
Thank you very much for all the wonderful info.
I especially like the sound of the crepes - my favourite - that will certainly be on our 'do' list!!

It sounds just right for me as I should be able to walk along the promenade from Alcossebre to Las Fuentes - not too good yet on uneven ground!

I will print off you info and take it with us.

Many thanks,
Pippa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.