UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Center Parcs UK
183 Posts
I am taking my dog at xmas. I spoke to Center Parcs and from what I could make out, you cannot take them into the public buildings or leave them unattended. When you leave them in the villa you must leave a sign in the window letting people know a dog is inside. They must be on a leash at all times and only use the doggie toilets. Hope this helps. Rachael
I don't have a dog but do visit CP regularly. I've never seen many dogs around the village at all, only the odd one or two and I'm sure I've never seen kennels.

I have noticed the dog toilets which are fenced and gated areas but they don't look big enough to let the dog have a good run, if thats the only place they're allowed off the lead.
Thanks, it doesn't sound too dog friendly then!
Cheers
Kate x
I think it's a case of being dog tolerant. We took the dog last xmas and she was fine, but she's only a tiny yorkie, so she didn't need the long walks. Loved the ducks though!
its not a particularly good place for dogs to have a hol its more of a good place to visit if you do not want to leave the dog behind, we love cp and have visited many times favourite is oasis the best one in our opinion but we have never took the dog, i think she is much better off with my parents than locked up in the accommodation :P
We use to take our staffie, always took blankets for on the sofas and cleaned up well. The dog toilets are small we took ours on walks always on the lead but stayed at the Nottingham one and took him out once a day into Sherwood forest for a run off the lead.

We take a big dog crate with us so he can go in there whilst we are out or leave someone in with him.

Had no problems but it is a case of dog tolerating not friendly!

You also see others letting their dogs run off the lead - this spoils it for others as i get the feeling they would like to have a dog ban but would lose too many customers!

Alison :D
Thanks for your replies everyone, they are really helpful.
hi everyone

Could anyone pleasee give me some realistic info on the oasis windfell resort. I am thinking of going on my own for a weekend at the beginning of June. In my party, there will be myself and 6 children, ranging from 1yr - 18 yrs old!! As you can see therefore, I will not have much cash!!! I have heard from people saying that it is expensive to hire equipment/eat out, but i just really fancy going, rather than staying in caravan! (did that last year and it was hell!!!)
My husband is very please dthat i am taking the plunge and going on my own!!!
Thanks
suzanne
Hi

The lodges are not cheap to book but you can cut corners and save money at CP - but not that easy!

Once there the walks and swimming area are free, its things like bowling/kids clubs/other activities that soon add up but loads of space to explore there.

The supermarket is a bit more expensive but never found it too bad - we use to take a supply of food with us, and cooked in or did bbq's ourselves. We brought food items each week from the food budget to take which helped

Also near to Penrith so we went out for a drive/visit to town and the lakes - took a picnic and stopped at a pub - nice! Also did a dash into Penrith one night for fish and chips as worked out tons cheaper!

I use to take a group of adults with learning difficulties on holiday there and we were on a limited budget - went swimming every day and took our own football and bats/balls for sports outside the villas.

It depends if the children will want to go bowling etc... as its expensive there, we went once. Had a meal at the pub, other places were expensive.

If you can get a good deal then id go for it as its great there - spend loads of time in the swimming area - it will tire the children out!

Alison :D
We used to go to Whinfell and it can be done cheaply. Theres a supermarket in Penrith which is nearby. If you stock up there you only need to go to the onsite one for maybe milk and bread.
The swimming area is great and is free and you can take the kids own bikes with you.
Take a football and maybe a frisbee and your sorted. Its a lovely place - one of the few where you can see red squirrels. The kids will love it.
Bridd
Can anyone give me an idea on how much it costs on these activities at sherwood forest ?

Bike riding.
Ten pin bowling
Archery.
sauna and massage. Thankyou. Janette. :D
We were last at Sherwood over the New Year so these prices should still be ok

Adult bike hire w/e £14 m/w £15

Ten pin bowling £14.90 max 4 people for 45 mins

Archery £15

Massages start at £26 from what I can see but there are a few to choose from.

Hope this helps.
I've stayed in Seven Pines at Whinfell four times now, and it's really handy for the Butterfly Centre and the Lakeside Pub - about 5 minutes to each. The Sports Plaza and Spa is about 10 minutes walk, or a 15 minute stroll.

We went over New Year this year, and it's the first time my parents and my sister and her family have been, and they had a really good walk around, and they said that they will specifiy Seven Pine's lodges the next time they go.

Hope this helps :D
This year is the first year we actually spent quite a lot money at Whinfell! We went over New Year, so we splashed out. Saying that, some of the things weren't too expensive: The kids went on a falconary thing which cost £10:50 per child, but an adult could go with them. My eldest held birds of prey on his arm, and helped feed them - my husband said it was the best £10:50 he'd spent on him!

Usually, though, we don't do all that, just spend most of the day in the pool, and the only money we really spent was dining out one night, and getting lunch.

Don't bother with the takeway cafe though near the pool - got to the Lakeside pub instead!
My sister was at Whinfell last week - they have been four or five times to various CPs, but she has said this is the last time. She appreciates that you can self cater and drinking and eating costs can be avoided, but when you have a five year old you might as well stay at home if you are going to cook yourself and sit in the chalet all night!

Drinks in the bars have reached silly prices - £6 for a pint and a half of lager and a takeaway was nearly £25 (two meals shared between 3) - they worked out a decent meal would have been about £50 for the three of them.

It seems now once CP have you they expect you to pay exortionate prices as they see you as a captive market.
Hi,

we are just trying to work out how much money we will need to take to do the following activities.

Teddy bears picnic
Bikes - one with a baby trailer on, and a normal bike
Bowling
Pentague
Adventure Golf
Rowing boats
Outing with owls
Woodland awakening
Challenge course
Badmington
Carriage ride
Field ARchery
Aqua Sana - couple treatment

Its a shame the Center parcs website doesnt show this info, i know you get the arrival pack, but that doesnt give us enougth time to save the pennies.

Thanks in advance
Well here goes

Adult bike w/e £14 Trailer £10.50
Bowling 14.90 for 45mins for 4 people
Pentaque 4.50 x 1hr
Adv golf 9 holes 5.30 adult 3.20 child
rowing boats 5.00 x 30 mins
Aqua Sana couples treatments from £85
badminton 6.20 x 40 mins

Thats all I can find at the minute but it looks like you'd better start saving!
I agree! That's an awful lot to cram in too, and if you don't book the activities before hand, it's quite hard to get in to some when you arrive there, as I've found out on previous visits.
We will be booking them before hand, we did loads last time we went. It half the fun doing all the activities you normally wouldnt try.
Some of them are really expensive though, we paid £100 to go quad biking (for 2) last time, thats a hell of a lot.
Is it possible to aquire some vouchers to use at the park, ive heard a rumour about clubcard vouchers, do you have any tips ?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.