Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
You won't be able to claim this back under the E111 scheme - all that entitles you to is treatment under the same conditions as Portugese nationals. If they have to apy for something then you have to pay too. And it only covers state provision - if the doctor you saw was in private practice then this is why it wasn't covered by the E111 in the first place.

Whether you can claim this back from your holiday insurance will depend on the terms of the policy, eg whether you need them to authorise payment before treatment is given, whether there is an excess to pay etc. Best thing to do is contact your insurers direct and check-it out with them.

SM
Hi conman .... if you were treated under the state healthcare system and were required to make a 'patient contribution' towards costs, you may perhaps be able to claim this back.

For details of EHIC healthcare arrangements in Portugal, please click here.

For details of how to make a claim under the terms of the EHIC on your return to the UK, please click here.

Alternatively, a claim under your travel insurance may be possible, but would be subject to any excess applicable on the policy.

David :wave
PS :whoops My post crossed with SM's
I'd agree with SMa that this sounds like a private doctor, the EHIC info for Portugal says state doctors are free. The catch here is that even without their excess, insurers will ask why you used private and not a free state doctor. No harm in double checking with the office in Newcastle just in case their info is wrong. The paragraph about paying same charges as locals appears under every country so isn't really that much use.

On the bright side, prescription charges of €16 for 3 items is a lot less than you'd pay here!
The charges seem common practice. I had a friend staying with me in Funchal who required medical non-serious attention and he was charged the same. If the Dr. had to come to my home there, the charge would have been 80 euro.

Check out some "ex-pats" sites for similar experiences.
Most hotels etc won't refer you to a state doctor, they call out a private practice. Then you pay and hope you can get some money back under the EHIC.

I had reason to visit a state hospital a couple of years ago as walking wounded and everything was free apart from €8,30 for some X-Rays. I did not have my EHIC and they took my passport as proof of entitlement. I didn't bother trying to reclaim such a small sum.

Put the boot on the other foot - if you were visiting the UK and were ill, what chance would you have of seeing an NHS doctor?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.