General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Don't agree - I think you should let them know. Honesty is the best policy.

Pippa
Personally, I think I would keep schtum.

The holiday price should have worked out the same, whether in dollars or pound sterling.

It's not your fault it didn't - and it's not like you have got the holiday for nothing, you've
still paid for it after all.

Why should our American counterparts get the same holiday but so much cheaper?

It's not your fault that the companies attempt to rip off you/more Brits has failed.
In fact, it makes a very pleasant change.

Just my opinion.
Similar questions have been asked here on HT before.

The advice is always tell the truth. We are not in the business of encouraging people to lie.

You should also consider that when they find out - and they will at some point - you will either be asked for the money or they will cancel on the basis they have not been paid in full.

fwh
Agree I would not keep quiet and have to live with the anxiety. As said they will find out in the end. Honesty all the way.

Sue
When I went to Mallorca in June, I flew out with First Choice and back with Easyjet, so both were classed as single flights. The Easyjet flight was priced up and charged to me in euro's.

I eventually worked out that if I had put in a fake outbound flight, but then cancelled it later on in the booking screens I could get it in sterling. Why am I boring you with this??!! Well the euro charge was cheaper than the sterling would have been, so I gained. :tup However, Easyjet were paid for my flight, and my card issuer converted the payment to sterling and took the money off me. Everyone was happy and I didn't have any problems with the flight.

The same has happened for my flights in August - out with Thomsons charged in sterling, return with First Choice charged in euro's.

I agree with Milly_Molly: If the hotel/website have charged you in dollars, then they must be happy to accept dollars, and, you have paid, so isn't everyone happy??? :que I presume anyone can book from this website, so the company are likely to receive transactions in various currencies anyway?? I don't see that anything wrong or illegal has happened.

I'd only contact the company if you felt there was a chance the booking wouldn't be honoured. Worst case scenario, the hotel may ask you for the £400 difference when you get there - but I doubt it. You were offered a deal, accepted and paid it. End of story! Louise

PS What's the website...! :rofl
Thanks Louise. :kiss

Right, I'm not being *funny* here, but...

The advice is always tell the truth.

What's to tell?

Has the company been in touch and asked...

"Excuse me Mr so and so, did you pay x amount in dollars or x amount in pound sterling for your holiday?"

If they had, then that would be a completely different ball game and yes, of course the reply should be truthful,
and the matter rectified immediately

BUT

The holiday was booked, the holiday was paid for.

End of.

I would do nothing.

If you do hear back from the company and there has been an error, then of course the extra should be paid.

But if you don't, then it would seem that the people who use US dollar currency get their holidays cheaper than us.

We are not in the business of encouraging people to lie.

What is that supposed to mean?

For the record, I have never stolen anything in my life - ever.

I don't tell lies, I cannot abide liars, and I never encourage anyone to either steal or lie.

*gets off soap box*
(and no, I haven't been drinking.)
We are not in the business of encouraging people to lie.

Can you point out where exactly I have lied :que

I think I will just keep quiet and if I am required to pay the additional costs then so be it as I had a budget for the full amount anyway :tup

Thanks for the advice as always
Nobody is saying you have lied. Although you know there has been a mistake and are not going to say anything about it. You asked for advice and that is what we gave.

I still think you should come clean but then that is your decision.

Pippa
This may seem a stupid question at this point but are you sure there is a mistake . It it fairly common for some of these hotel only booking sites , particularly those who do comparisons for you on trip advisor to charge in USD if they are American owned or more commonly euros. I have also made a booking on the hilton website for a holiday in egypt and that was charged in USD

have you checked again Sh33p and tried another dummy booking . But for the record I would stay :zip at this point .

lyn
May be something in what you say Lyn, I think that it all depends on your destination. I have just had a look on Sol Hotels site, Europe charged in euros, America us dollars.

Dave :(
its a tricky one ,but like others have said i would keep quiet as this might be a hotel site that charges in dollars, and again as suggested i would do a dummy booking

my mother and i have just booked to go to istanbul in oct she lives in turkey and me the uk, we both priced up the same hotel on a website and it came out for the week about £80 cheaper for them than us, so i sent her the link to show her as she thought i had made a mistake, so in this case it was cheaper for her to book in turkey than me in the uk, we didnt book that hotel in the end but goes to show that for some reason this can happen,and seems a bit unfair

the hotel we booked in the end ,took dep out in euro too
Nobody has lied, no mistakes have been made.

All that's happened is, this person was charged in USD and not GBP. That's nobody's fault.

Everyone is looking into it the wrong way. No wrong has been done. The holiday company still has it's money. If they're happy to receive the money in USD, what's the problem?

This chap has not ripped anyone off and did the process as the website dictated.

Good on you, ya got a bargain.
Just tried a "dummy" booking and again it clearly states GBP as the price.

As said previously I will budget the additional £400 just in case it comes to light nearer the time.

Thanks for all your views. ;)
Apologies - the word lie was incorrect.

Should have said we do not encourage anyone to be dishonest.

If an error has been made by the agency/hotel in charging, if it was not in your favour you would be very quick to point it out to them.

What is the difference if it is the other way?

Why is it OK for you but not for them?

fwh
This chap has not ripped anyone off and did the process as the website dictated.

Exactly!
But he wouldn't have posted on here if he didn't think there was something not right with the costing.

Pippa
Although not charged in the wrong currency I have been in similar situations on two occassions, the first was when a travel agency never took the money from my account for a late booking, this was after a week having paid by debit card, I rang to tell them of the situation which they said could not happen with their systems and that they would look at it when they had time, I insisted that they did, and asked them to let me know, the money went the very next day with no courtesy call from them. The second was when I made a reservation with a hotel groups website at what I thought was a very cheap price and that they had made a mistake, I was prepared for them to query it on arrival and point out a mistake, however the clerk showed the reservation voucher to another person at the desk and took no action booking us in normally.
Had the OP's dilema been that he hadn't been charged, as with your first instance David, then I would have said to do what you did.
(That's what I would have done too.)

Just out iof interest/nosiness...

your second instance, did you tell the company of what you thought might be an error, or did you just play it by ear?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.