General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I would suggest a "year round" resort such as Costa del Sol, as "summer only" resorts will add a premium to prices, as they attract mainly tourists and have to make their profit over 6/7 months or so.
Also eat the "local food", you can easily get a "menu del dias - 3 course meal with drink" for less than 10 euros.
Try DIY if you can get the flights at bargain prices.

Best of luck, keep us informed,

Robby :wink:
Robby

Thanks for your reply.

I've never been to the Costa Del Sol, I'm not a fan of Spain.

I've always believed that the Costa Del Sol was the expensive part of Spain !!!!

If i did go to Spain, it's prob the only part I would consider going, as the weather is almost guranteed.

Like Cyprus, (gone V expensive) Greece (getting expensive over there, but still very cheap to get too) & they are HOT.
I like Turkey, but my husband doesn't.

Once again thank you
Kim
Depends what parts of the Costa del Sol you visit Kim. It can be as cheap or expensive as you wish.
Earlier this year I was sitting in a nice bar overlooking the Med in Marbella drinking a small beer and a cofffee for the Mrs - total price = 2 Euros (£1.40 ish), can't be bad. That was a Spanish owned bar, not some English owned one selling John Smiths etc.
Chinese meals are also very cheap if that's your kind of thing, a 3 course with drink can be had for around 5 Euros.
Just think Spanish, oh and Chinese :lol: and the prices are pretty good.

That is cheap!!! :lol:

Would you recommend a package or renting an apartment from over here & organising our own flights?

Many thanks again
Kim
DIY Kim, if you can get the flights at good prices.

Lots and lots of good hotels etc.

All the best,

ps lots of cheap trips etc; eg Gibraltar approx 12 Euros (£8 ish).
:D Kim- costa blanca is much much cheaper than costa del sol. We went to benalmadena (Costa del sol), in June, and I found it to be really expensive, we spent a fortune on eating out/drinking.

Just come back from costa blanca 3 weeks ago (Benidorm), and couldn't beleive how cheap it was to eat out compared to costa del sol, we only spent half of what we did when we went in June.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. All the best. BBB.
Agree BBB Benidorm is cheap, but:

Does anyone have a sugestion for a very cheap holiday, that is SUN & BEACH (not UK!!!)

I was trying to steer her away from the UK :lol:

I found that Torremolinos - Spanish cafes/bars/restaurants etc were quite cheap amd much better quality than Benidorm, but entertainment wise, then Benidorm wins. I've done Benidorm several times and I believe the Costa del Sol has more to offer.

My opinion only,

Like I said, we are not fans of the whole "brits abroad" thing, & the ONLY coasta I would consider is the Del Sol.

I like Greece, because you know you are on holiday & somewhere abroad.
Cyprus, is more british, but nothing like Loret de mar.

Thank you again, anywhere but Brava, Blanca, or the Balaric islands, considered. Weather is also too risky in May, for these.

Kim
  • Edited by kimevans 2005-09-11 16:10:35
Like I said, we are not fans of the whole "brits abroad" thing, & the ONLY coasta I would consider is the Del Sol.

Nice to find a refined Lady :wink:

Hope you get what you want Kim, have fun,

God I don't mean to sound snobbish, loads of people enjoy the Spanish coasts.

Like I said we aren't big drinkers, we enjoy the sun, sea & beach. A little sightseeing & shopping. And a nice meal of an evening. Simple really.

Not too noisy, not dead either.

Was in Olu deniz (Turkey) in June, loved it. Also like Pernera (Cyprus).

Thank you anyone who has suggestions.
Kim
PS I DO LIKE IT TO BE WEATHER GURANTEED
The Canary Islands are nice all year round, and if you go on any of the Canary forums on here, people will be only too happy to advise you on restaurant/bar prices. There are some good deals to be had for flights (especially Tenerife) if you shop around, and it's easy to arrange accomodation - there's loads of privately-owned apartments/villas at very reasonable prices, again, ask around on the Canary forums: Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura :wink:
We have just returned from Tenerife and although we stayed half-board we could have eaten very cheaply in resort. We stayed in Playa de las Americas, which is big and loud and 'Benidorm-ish' but if that's not your cup of tea there are lots of quieter, more 'tasteful' places on all the islands. We were in Lanzarote earlier in the summer, which I would recommend very highly, and we also stayed there in late May/early June last year and the weather was scorching. We stayed in Tenerife in late April/early May a few years ago and it was blazing hot then too! 8) We're off to Gran Canaria next Easter and expecting more of the same.
We did a week in the Algarve on a cheapie...villa for £169 each inc flights and car hire. As we has the car we could get about and did not find eating out too prohibitive, cheaper than UK. Some great beaches and nice restaurants.
I have heard good things about the Algarve, so might be somewhere to think about.

Beaches are not great on Tenerife, been there. But never been to Grand Canaria & I have heard they are good there.

I bet the Canaries have gone up in price since the Euro???

We are thinking about Thassos

Thank you
Kim
What about Bulgaria Have heard that it is pretty cheap to eat out.
Tunisia for me every time. It's a completely different culture, no lager louts, just under three hours flight, excellent value and the weather in May should be fantastic.
We went to Benidorm in March and didnt like it much. Liked the excursions, but not the place at all. True the cheapest restaurant we found was a chinese, but other than that we didnt find it that cheap and ran out of money on our last day. Nothing compared to Turkey!

I would try another place in Turkey except for Olu Deniz. I have just come back from Marmaris and loved it, and Icmeler is also a beautiful place, as is Turunc which we passed and its on the sea, and looks lovely and tranquil....
I second Bulgaria, or what about Croatia?
I'm with Aslemma on this one - Tunisia is always my preferred destination for the sort of holiday you describe - but whether it would be suitable for you probably depends on your husband's reasons for not wanting to go to Turkey. The fact that you'll almost certainly be able to get your daughter a room of her own without paying an exhorbitant single supplement might swing it. The weather in May should be very warm (warmer than the Costas) but without being excessively hot.

SM
You're quite right there Kim, the prices here on Lanzarote have certainly gone up since the euro :cry: . I don't think you can call it cheap and cheerful here anymore, though you should get lovely weather here in May, and it is still very cheap to eat out if you go out of resort to the Spanish bars and restaurants.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.