Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Not sure about the costs- we tend to text home and never have huge bills afterwards. ( can text back almost every day)
You can buyphone cards at 7-eleven minimarts etc which are for use in payphones. Also can now use alot of regular payphones to make cheap calls - prices have come down a lot. rather than use the usual '001' prefix for International calls, you can use 008 or 009 and call the UK for well under 10 baht/minute.

Options:
001 ... is the most expensive direct-dial service. It works from all phones and should be the highest quality connection. But expensive.

007 ... is a high quality connection which can be used on TOT and TT&T lines only. Call to the following countries for 9 baht per minute to limited countries, but including UK

008 ... around 8 baht/minute or less to over 30 countries - inc. UK, USA .

009 ... This is a CAT service which can be used from every phone. This is also known as the 'efone' service. Rates for popular countries are about 6 baht. Uses VOIP - e.g. internet calls, so quality not always great.

(CAT, TOT, T&T are different Thai telephone companies)
We are coming next week and I was thinking of buying sim card when I got there, what do you think ? Thanks
Thanks Fiona and Macfarang. :D :D :D
Getting a Sim card will make life easier for you - they're cheap and available everywhere - although now you'll need to how your passport when you buy one. ( An anti terrorism measure as folks in the south of thailand use mobiles to set off bombs.)

There are three main telecom companies - AIS, DTAC and Orange. AIS has the best coverage, DTACs calls are cheaper at the moment. If you're headingall over Thailand then choose AIS, if you'll mainly be in touristy places then take advantage of DTACs cheaper calls anywhere in Thailand. A SIM is around 200 baht including a package of free airtime. But calltime refill cards for your phone at any minimart in the country. Instructions are in English & Thai.
Thanks Macfarang, will get DTAC as we're in KS and BKK ON SATURDAY - can't wait
Does anyone know if these sim cards work in all phones and all networks?

I have a contract phone with t-mobile.

Thanks
I normally just email home but this time I needed to phone. I bought a phonecard for 300 baht (you can also buy 100 baht cards). I used it 3/4 times and still have over 200 units left on it. Bearing in mind roughly 70 baht to the pound its prob cheaper than using mobiles.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.