Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
to help you get an answer .....

which airline

which airport

wiz
dave dee,

If you've already selected seats and you're taking hold baggage, thre's not really always an advantage in check-in online. Sometimes the baggage drop-off queue is shorter, sometimes it's about the same. Given the option, I would still check-in online as chances are, it'll be less queing for the bag drop-off than going through full check-in but it all depends on the the day. Bear in mind you still need to allow at least 2 hous, although it's recommended 3 for long haul (with you mentioning 3 hours, I assume you're on a long haul flight)? Online check-in won't give you the benefit of dropping bags off later as you still need to check them in, go through security etc. Online check-in is great with hand luggage only as you can go straight through security, no messing. It comes down to personal preference really, but I normaly use it when it's available.

Darren
Hi guys.
Flying with Thomas Cook from Glasgow to Enfidha with hold & hand luggage.
Thanks.

David
We haven't found it any quicker with hold luggage, but as it's free, you might as well do it, and take your chance. At least you'll have the option of where to queue :tup
Often wondered why we check in online as it seems rather pointless even when we had a late booking and had to do API at check in it only took seconds longer
shrimper didn't you do your api on line. before goin to airport we always do it saves a bit of time if nothing else.
tammie52,

I think shrimper was referring to a late booking where API has to be collected at check-in as it's too late to collate online.

Darren
aw right I see, teach me to red it more before typing in box lol
Darren was right very late booking and they would not let me do it online, usally we do on a normal booking but it does feel a bit pointless unless you only had carry on luggage
Hi without wishing to appear stupid could some explain to me what the procedure is for online check in and what difference it makes we have never had the option of doing this before but we have this year. we are flying from stansted to palma with thomas cook, Thanks
katherinelc,

I've merged your post with this topic. It might answer your questions.

Darren
With TC you have to pay to choose your seats before you can use online check in, and print your boarding passes. When you get to the airport you use the bag drop desk to have your luggage weighed and tagged. The queue is usually shorter than the ordinary desks, and the process is quicker as you've already checked in.
Hi
We fly from Manchester next week. I've submitted all the API and pre-booked our seats so I am considering on-line check in for the first time - for some reason it scares me.

Just wondering if its worth it and also how it works?

Where do you drop your bags and is it manned - who puts the luggage barcodes on and will it matter if we have a buggy with us?
I've never used Ryanair or online check in before so excuse me if I sound stupid!!

We booked through a third party company and they have sent us our boarding passes (flying next Sunday) - does this mean we have been checked in by them or do we still need to do this?

What do we do at airport? Where do we drop off our checked in luggage?

How do we know what seats we're in? I can't see anything on the boarding pass.
Zebedee,

I've merged your post with this topic that might help. Once you've checked in online and printed your boarding card, head for the Thomas Cook check in desks as usual. You'll see there are some baggage drop off desks. Use those, its just like normal checkin but you're only checking your bags in. Using online check in with bags isn't much different. Its when you are travelling with hand luggage only its a timesaver.

Darren
Sprinkles,

I've merged your post with this topic as it might answer most of your questions. Once you have your boarding cards, you are checked in. Bags are dropped off at the Ryanair baggage drop off desk at the airport. Ryanair don't allocate seats. Just sit in an empty seat once you board.

Darren
Just to let you know i went from stansted on the 9th july to palma i had paid to preselect our seats so i could do online check in hoping it would save some time in case we had any delays on our hour and a half trip there. What a waste of time !! we arrived at the desks and couldnt see where to go for on line check in after looking for a few mins ( we werent the only ones looking confused LOL ) we asked a member of staff and he pointed at a A4 sheet of paper signing the way to online check in. It was just a normal desk where there was a q of about 10 young lads all checking in normally they had no pre printed boarding passes so obviously hadnt done online check in. When we eventually got to the desk i handed the boarding passes to the assistant and waited while she checked all the passports as usual and printed off new boarding passes before checking in our bags. So the point of paying extra to do this was ? absolutely none at all !!! it cost £30 took 12 sheets of ink and paper and made no difference whatsoever !! I Have rung thomas cook to complain,when i eventually managed to get through all i got was " oh yes that happened to me the other week too i will pass it on on goodbye "
katherinelc,

Who did you fly with? You'll have paid extra to pre-select seats, not to use online check-in? Online check-in is only really a time saver if you're travelling with hand luggage only as you still have to check your bags in in the normal manor. Depending on the queue for bag drop off, it can sometimes be longer or short so it's not really a time saver with luggage. If you didn't have luggage, you could have just gone through to to departure lounge, that's where the real advantage is.

Darren
The lads may have checked in online, but not printed their boarding passes off. They can still use the bag drop desk.
You paid to select your seats. Online check is a free service and you don't need to pay to select seats to use it. Why did you need 12 sheets? Were you all on separate bookings?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.