Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hi, we're off to Funchal in about 2 weeks. Can anyone tell me how much 200 Superkings costs there and the best place to buy them?
Don't know how much they are but there is a supermarket in the centre of Funchal which sells ciggies.
Thanks for that. Do you know the name of it?
As no-one was able to give me an answer I am posting this after my return from Madeira for future visitors. The only British cigarettes available on the island are Rothmans, Lambert and Butler, Mayfair and Embassy Regal. Marlboro are also available but the only Superking sized cigarettes are Mayfair. This applies even at the airport. The government set the price so it's the same everywhere and there are loads of newsagents etc where you can buy them. Most places say they don't take credit cards but this is due to the low profit margin on cigarettes being eaten up by the credit card commission. If you offer to pay the commission (between 4 and 6% depending on where you go!) they are quite happy to accept payment with a credit card. Hope this is helpful to someone in the future!
Can anyone tell me if there are any tobaco shops open on a Sunday in the Albufiera area.
Are the cigarettes and tobacco a lot cheaper in Portugal than in the UK?

We were paying €28.00 for 200 in Ibiza, is that about what they are on the Algarve?
Hi Uj, they average about 27.50 Euros per 200 at the moment but I believe there is going to be an increase of 35 cents per 20 packet in February. I have read this info in the Algarve Observer this month. whether this is true or not I dont know. Regards Jayjan
Sounds about right Jayjan. The Portuguese government, like the British government, are playing lip service to being anti smoking, whilst actually only wanting the extra revenue the tax brings. The point they are missing is that the tens of thousands of people who come here because the cheap fags pay for their holiday, will now go elsewhere...
hello visiting portugal soon can anyone help me and tell me how much the cigarettes are. (lambert and butler) or other major brands thanks
I don't know those brands although I'm sure they're sold on touristic places... I can only tell you Marlboro has gone up just now to 2.90 euros :( It's cheap for most (if not all) european countries but TOO high for us junkies that earn the portuguese wages :p (I'm quitting smoking in 3 weeks while I'm in Goa - let me hope so, at least)...
Hi Dan Lambert & Butler were 2 euros.85cents per 20 pack but they have just gone up and from what i have read in the algarve observer you can add another 35cents to that price so maybe 3euros 20 cents. Regards Jayjan
Lambert & Butler still €2.85 (€28.50 per 200) this week.
Golden Virginia €4.50 per 50g pack (€45 per 500g - 10x50g).
Drum €4.20 per 50g pack.

Robby :wink:
Anyone know if the prices robbyw posted are still appropiate or have the portuguese put up prices like the spanish have done last week?

Smithy
Hi Smithy, My hubby came home from Albufeira on the 11th March & the prices for Lamberts are still the same as robbw quoted although I have been told there is a price increase due, maybe shops still have some old stock in. Hope this helps. Cheers Jayjan
Any more news, have they gone up yet. If so can the latest prices of major brands be quoted ??????

Hi Rob, My hubby came home on the 15th April and Lamberts where still 28euros 50 cents per 200, but dont know about any others. Seems they havnt gone up although the local papers In January did say an increase was imminent. Cheers Jayjan
although the local papers In January did say an increase was imminent

Tell the local papers to wait until after May, or even better after September :lol: :lol:

Thanks jayjan,

Been asked to take a trip to Portugal with a friend who claims cigarettes are about £7 for 200. Can anyone confirm this or can someone give me an indication of the price of cigarettes and the allowance for bringing them back to UK

Ta

Thanks for the reply - saved me a fortune !!
  • Edited by proton 2006-05-05 16:23:42
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.